• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Dragon Mom Question about eating (or not eating)

lisakrause1

Bearded Dragon Egg
I adopted a BD a week ago. He is 1 1/2 or so I am told. His owner told me he "loves" kale and got crickets and/or superworms once a week as a treat. Since arriving in our home, he has refused kale, seemed to like a bit of orange pepper one day then refused since, refused all other offerings of various greens, carrots, cukes, banana, berries, etc. Will only eat the crickets and worms when offered. I have even tried handfeeding to entice him but he refuses to open his mouth. Should I be worried or just give him time to acclimate? I did read here that bee pollen may encourage him to eat his veggies. How much should he have or isn't there a limit? I also read that honey on the veggies is ok. Yes? No? Thanks in advance and let me say, I am so glad to have found this forum. I want to keep Rango happy and healthy! I will probably be an annoyance with all the questions I have!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I adopted a BD a week ago. He is 1 1/2 or so I am told. His owner told me he "loves" kale and got crickets and/or superworms once a week as a treat. Since arriving in our home, he has refused kale, seemed to like a bit of orange pepper one day then refused since, refused all other offerings of various greens, carrots, cukes, banana, berries, etc. Will only eat the crickets and worms when offered. I have even tried handfeeding to entice him but he refuses to open his mouth. Should I be worried or just give him time to acclimate? I did read here that bee pollen may encourage him to eat his veggies. How much should he have or isn't there a limit? I also read that honey on the veggies is ok. Yes? No? Thanks in advance and let me say, I am so glad to have found this forum. I want to keep Rango happy and healthy! I will probably be an annoyance with all the questions I have!
Id definitely give him some time, in the meantime can you please go over your lighting with us so we can rule that out , bee pollens great but I wouldn’t use to much (it CANT hurt him , youll just be wasting it, any vitamins or additives he cant absorb will just come out in his stool) id stay away from honey personally most honey is garbage, and give him fruit sugers (watermelon,strawberries, raspberries,blueberries) instead of honey, my girl hasn’t made the switch yet (70%veg30%bug) (even though i offer salad daily) bugs can still be fine just make shure they are heavily gut loaded with fresh veggies (basicly the salad ur guys not eat)

lisakrause1

Bearded Dragon Egg
I knew right away he had inadequate heating. The previos owner had a small heat bulb and a regular light bulb in a double light fixture. We got him a mercury heat bulb and now the temp is a balmy 100 degrees in the hot end and about 75 in the cool end. From what I have seen he’s very happy with that but I do need to get the UVB strip light for him too though we live in Arizona and he is getting daily natural sun outside.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Bee Pollen is good to use and they have reptile Beardie veggie dressing u can drizzle some to get him to eat his greens & veggies. Do not use Honey. I have one that hates veggies I try and slowly hand feed yellow squash which she now eats and butternut squash I slice it like a cucumber into pieces. It takes time just always place a plate out everyday or introduce new ones by hand & maybe he will start to eat. The last owners ruined him by only feeding him kale. He’s still rite at that age so please feed him 15-20 large crickets every other day. And/or Dubai roaches are good & Yes super worms are good too; just high in fat so some days u can do like 5 worms. He can’t only eat once per week if he’s not munching on the veggies feed him every other day. The best veggies/greens are: mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash, butternut squash, endives, snap peas, green beans & bell peppers. Also; Make sure u buy RepCal calcium pwder & sprinkle it 4times a week once/day on the crickets make a slit opening with a knife on the aluminum lid & sprinkle the crickets like salt on fries only the 15 or so that u r feeding him for the day; coz it slows the crickets down & eventually kills them. On a non calcium day ( 1day a week) u sprinkle Herptivite vitamin powder once on the proteins. Also make sure u have a heat lamp & a UVB light. The best most recommended is the zoomed clear basking bulb for heat & the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for uvb. The length u order from Amazon should cover 70 percent of the tank. This uvb needs replacing every 6Mnths religiously or the Beardie will get MBD. Never ever use colored or coiled bulbs; it burns their eyes. At nite No lights; they like quiet and dark; if temp drops below 70 get a 60watt ceramic heat emitter to use in the winter. In the winter the heat lamp & UVb stays on for 10-12 hours; more like 10 & in the summer 12-14 hours on per day; more like 14; they have more energy in the summer. Also he needs a hideaway amd get him a hammock they love it. Baths twice a week in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min minimum; more if shedding. If u don’t have a filter system buy: Reptisafe & it’s a few drops for every cup. Chlorine dries their skin, is bad for them & makes them itchy/dry. On the summer take him out to sit on your lap and bask in the sun; 1hour or so is amazing for them. Also let him out of the cage to run around on your bed or floor for exercise but monitor him & make sure nothing on the floor cuz they will ingest anything they find. Enjoy your Beardie;)

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I knew right away he had inadequate heating. The previos owner had a small heat bulb and a regular light bulb in a double light fixture. We got him a mercury heat bulb and now the temp is a balmy 100 degrees in the hot end and about 75 in the cool end. From what I have seen he’s very happy with that but I do need to get the UVB strip light for him too though we live in Arizona and he is getting daily natural sun outside.
Hi; a mercury vapor powersun bulb is intense to the Max & in the summer he will burn from heat exhaustion. Those are deadly & Beardie needs to be 16 inches minimum away. Use it till u order the correct UVB but make sure he’s far away from it. The best is Reptisun 10.0 T5 & the length u order should cover 70percent of the tank. This Uvb & all
Uvb lights need replacing every 6Mnths. Also, for heat the best is the zoomed clear basking bulb. Never ever use colored or coiled bulbs it burns their eyes. Here’s. A pic of mine how it’s set up and a picture of the Reptisun. It aka to be 10.0 & T5 it will be light and bright and a Beardie thrives & gets his UVb/strong bones. Also a hammock they love it & a soft fleece blanket.

Attachments

• 865B2275-02D4-4A72-8920-7AB8B7D9DF08.jpeg
    865B2275-02D4-4A72-8920-7AB8B7D9DF08.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • BF90099B-24F7-4039-B71D-B551CDF9BB58.png
    BF90099B-24F7-4039-B71D-B551CDF9BB58.png
    3 MB · Views: 2