• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New caregiver learning beardie's behavior...

ATLChuckles

Bearded Dragon Egg
....please let me introduce you to Dobby. We recently rescued him from a home where he was severely abused and we have been slowly trying to nurse him back to health. We have never had a Beardie and are learning his behaviors and needs as he gets used to being part of our family.

We don't know a lot about the former home, but he came to us severely malnourished, with several prior molts hardened to his skin, and what appeared to be a cigarette burn on his back between his back legs. Despite the terrible treatment by some very bad people, he seems to be making good progress and last week the vet changed his opinion from "no hope" to "with enough time and care I think he'll be ok"!

Since Dobby is our first beardie, we're still learning to understand his signals and he started one over the last couple of nights that I thought you all might have some luck in helping us interpret. He likes it when we take him out of his cage and let him roam around the living room. We noticed that when he is just laying on his towel or in the basking log in his cage, he opens and closes his mouth ever 30 seconds or so and it doesn't seem to be fore any reason. I know this is often something they do to regulate temperature, but he actually does it more when he isn't warm or under a light.

I took a short video and you can see him do this 3 times over the 1 minute clip. I want to be sure he isn't having an respiratory issues or some other problem. Maybe he's just mad at me because I have to bathe him 3 times a day and feed him by syringe 3 times a day as well.

I'm hoping you all will be able to see the video. I posted it as a public video on Youtube.

Thanks for any help with interpretation. We love having him in our house and want to do everything we can to help him heal.

ATLChuckles

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here's a better video of the issue. Dobby looks like he's choking or trying to vomit. I haven't seen anything stuck in his mouth/throat. I'm very cautious right now just because he was in such rough shape.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
When was his last vet visit? Is it possible he's developed a respiratory infection since then?
(Also, *thank you* for giving him a safe and loving home!)