• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Beardie Set-up

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Here is the setup I have so far..sand will be out today and replaced with tile. My BIL has some 6x6 and he will cut what I need for inside tank measurements.

Question - Do I have to be worried because I have a screen top? I am replacing my 5.0 with a 10.0 Reptisun bulb but I read somewhere that the screen can reduce the UVB by almost 50%? Temps 100-105 hot side, 90 cool side, 80 overnight. (though that's from the thermometers you see, have a digital coming Tuesday for more accurate temp taking)

I also realize that I need to put a little "tub" in there for soaking also.

3734322737_8717766696.jpg

3735119614_4d6800ca82.jpg

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi there,
welcome aboard.
Your pics didnt work. However as far as the screen if you have the reptisun 10 you should be ok.
Tom

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Tom,

You must have looked while I was fixing it. I see the pic's now. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Looks good, and you already said you where ditching the sand, so post a new pic with the tile. When I used to use glass tank I would but a background on the back and 2 sides so the dragon could only see out the front. It helped keep the younger dragons calm.

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was trying to download the pictures they used to have on the NatureZone site...but there's a problem there. I'll head to the store and see if I can find the backgrounds on the roll. Thanks!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with the 10.0, you'll be fine with the rays reaching your beardie. And the stick on thermometers can be off by 20 degrees. Let us know the temps when you get your other one.

Are those real cacti in there?

As far as a water bowl, it is fine. But you will still need to give him a good soak for 20 minutes in water filled to his chest. Most put a water bowl in the viv hoping their beardie will drink from it. Some do and some don't.

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Renee..I ordered a Infared Digital. Just got home with my tile that my BIL cut for me. Who knew tile was that heavy!!

So I think once I get my Tuesday order Sedona will be set with the right vitamins. Picked up more dubai's and putting in an order for the Silkworms. Going to see if I can sell them at the store too. We have crickets and waxworms so I'll advertise that we have silkworms and see if people are interested.

Thanks all !!
Chris

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cool. That's supposed to be a good one.

Lol...yes, tile is heavy, but you'll be happy with your choice.

Remember that wax worms should be offered as a treat. They are high in fat.

Also, are those real cacti in your viv?

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Renee..Right now I'm planning on 2 waxworms 2x's a week. I going to set up a little chart to make sure me and my husband are on the same page for feeding.

The cactus are fake - Zilla. The little spikes are actually like soft rubber..Sedona sits on top of the cactus and just hangs out.

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok..here is the new set-up with tile. I added a little bathtub for Sedona as well and bought some background I still need to hang up.

3740311853_6cbcc1beb1.jpg

3741103616_6c3f028d1e.jpg

3740311423_3259188011.jpg

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm a newbie to beardie's so I'm glad so far so good. Sedona seems to be very hearty..I took him/her out so I can clean out the substrate and put the tile in. I then threw in some crickets after about 15 mins after he/she was back in and ping ping ping..ate them all.

So not to sensitvie to surrounding changes. I feel bad though because Sedona seemed to enjoy digging in the base of the tree trunk to sleep at night. Then in the morning when I turn the UVB back on and hot side..out Sedona pops to start the day.

Any suggestions to keep Sedona's digging gene happy?

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I don't have to worry about his little nails getting stuck in it? I will definitely put a towel in the base of his tree trunk then. He'll be so happy. LOL!! Soft towel..hard tile. It would make me happier! Thanks

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've heard of others making a small sand area for digging. Just a small corner of the viv. If you decided to go this route, make sure you use playground sand.

athena

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Erskinelake said:
I don't have to worry about his little nails getting stuck in it? I will definitely put a towel in the base of his tree trunk then. He'll be so happy. LOL!! Soft towel..hard tile. It would make me happier! Thanks

you're right that some textures are a problem, but you can test by letting him/her walk around on it first -- it may be counter-intuitive, but i found that knappier towels were less of a problem than smoother ones. BTW, that photo of him/her on the fake cactus is totally cute. oh, and about the water dish: if you find it's not getting used, i'd consider one of these options: 1) one with lower sides might mean s/he'd actually walk through it 2) one that's smaller in which you could set pieces of leaves 3) have the rock closer to it, so there's a sit-spot that's on a level with it.
athena
PS there's a line of reptile dishes/bowls that comes in a variety of shapes and sizes -- made of a fairly new lightweight manmade material -- in various fairly natural looking shades of green, gray, red. the shapes are nice-looking and the edges of the lip are softly rounded [very user friendly]
Renee might recall who makes them.

rubyred

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
your set up looks really nice, a great spot for your beardie... love the cacti, and the pic :)

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I finally put up Sedona's background, also got a new basking ramp..that is the Zilla jumbo ramp in the back and then the large to the side. Added a tree vine to give him another area to climb on. May eventually take out the small basking area in the front right corner..but right now when we're on the computer he likes to hang out there and watch us. When he get's bigger I figure it will need to come out to give him more roaming space.

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg