• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New beardie refusing to eat

phxrma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I'm a new owner of a beardie but I'm having some trouble getting him to eat anything. For some background: i was given 2 beardies as a gift a few days ago and I'm doing my best to learn how to take care of them. The previous owner says they're about 4 years old, one male, one female. However, the male seems rather small/underweight for his age, presumably because he's been housed with the larger female since before I adopted him. I'm working on getting them separated as soon as possible. I've had them for about 4 days now, but the male refuses to eat, and since he's already quite thin I cant help but worry. I've tried him with mealworms and a variety of veggies so far, but he seems completely disinterested. I've ordered some dubias which should be coming tomorrow, so I'm hoping he'll be more interested in those, but is there anything I can do to encourage him to eat? I know that not eating is common after being relocated, but it's starting to worry me- I'd like to get him to a better weight as soon as possible!

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, I'm a new owner of a beardie but I'm having some trouble getting him to eat anything. For some background: i was given 2 beardies as a gift a few days ago and I'm doing my best to learn how to take care of them. The previous owner says they're about 4 years old, one male, one female. However, the male seems rather small/underweight for his age, presumably because he's been housed with the larger female since before I adopted him. I'm working on getting them separated as soon as possible. I've had them for about 4 days now, but the male refuses to eat, and since he's already quite thin I cant help but worry. I've tried him with mealworms and a variety of veggies so far, but he seems completely disinterested. I've ordered some dubias which should be coming tomorrow, so I'm hoping he'll be more interested in those, but is there anything I can do to encourage him to eat? I know that not eating is common after being relocated, but it's starting to worry me- I'd like to get him to a better weight as soon as possible!
Hello, bearded dragons can become stressed when housed in pairs especially if it is a male and female. But there are other reasons bearded dragons will not eat. How big is there cage, could you post a picture of their cage? What UVB are you using?

phxrma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, bearded dragons can become stressed when housed in pairs especially if it is a male and female. But there are other reasons bearded dragons will not eat. How big is there cage, could you post a picture of their cage? What UVB are you using?
The vivarium is 4ft, but I'm not sure what UVB is in there since I'm currently using the setup from the previous owner. After some research I have ordered the reptisun 10.0 UVB since I've heard good things about it. The vivarium itself isnt much to look at at the moment, the previous owner didn't put much in it, but I'm in the process of finding things to make it nicer in there for him. I'll see if I can get a photo later. We got them separated a couple days ago, and since then I've gotten him to eat a bit of squash and pepper, but not much at all, and he seems scared of the dubias for some reason, I can't get any live food in him. I ordered some silkworms yesterday after some recommendations elsewhere, so hopefully he'll respond better to those.

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The vivarium is 4ft, but I'm not sure what UVB is in there since I'm currently using the setup from the previous owner. After some research I have ordered the reptisun 10.0 UVB since I've heard good things about it. The vivarium itself isnt much to look at at the moment, the previous owner didn't put much in it, but I'm in the process of finding things to make it nicer in there for him. I'll see if I can get a photo later. We got them separated a couple days ago, and since then I've gotten him to eat a bit of squash and pepper, but not much at all, and he seems scared of the dubias for some reason, I can't get any live food in him. I ordered some silkworms yesterday after some recommendations elsewhere, so hopefully he'll respond better to those.
Ok, hope he does better!