• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Beardie owner - Help!

Valerie McWhorter

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I just purchased my beardie from a pet store last Tuesday; her name is Khaleesi. She is close to a year old. She wouldn't eat for almost three days. I called the store and they informed me that they had been hand feeding her crickets and mealworms. She did finally eat when offered crickets or mealworms on the tongs. But I can't go on like this. She is supposed to going in my classroom as a class pet in a few weeks. I am ready to return her if I can't reverse this bad habit. Any suggestions? Please help! TIA

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
Well this is pretty interesting to say the least. My son has a bearded dragon which is probably about 8 inches long, so it's still pretty young.
We have the same issue with him; he hardly eats on his own. My son or myself pretty much have to feed him worms or crickets by hand.
So by reading the information above, our bearded dragon is probably under stress still?
We've had him for about 2 weeks now.

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
Hello Kaylyn and thank you for your response.
I have uploaded 2 photos for you to look at.
Any feedback is more than welcome!
Thank you!
Derek

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 42

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
On the hot side it is reading 110 and on the cool side it is reading 80.
The name brand of the UVB light is Zoo Med. The bulb came with the kit itself so I am assuming it is the same maker.

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
I appreciate the information for sure!!! It's actually a 10.0 bulb that I ordered.
Now I must say, that my son was feeding his beardie crickets covered in calcium, but his beardie has seemed to stop eating them and we don't know why. Could it be on account of his beardie getting tired of crickets or could it be because his beardie is stressed from being moved from the pet store to our house?

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
We have had him for about 2 weeks... maybe 2 1/2 weeks. He seems healthy and all. I am thinking he either does or doesn't like the crickets. Maybe he is being finicky? Who knows.
I ordered some Phoenix worms for him to eat, so hopefully he will eat them. We have been feeding him mealworms.
May have to go with the dubias. Not big fan of roaches in my house though.

We also feed him mustard and collard greens, (but NOT lettuce) and red bell pepper. Sometimes he eats it and sometimes he will not.
Also, we feed him apple if he will eat it.

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
That sounds great! maybe the beardie's are only supposed to be fed as much as they can eat, then remove the rest?
Who knows.
I'll wait for your reply and thanks again!!

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
I am assuming it is the T8 like we had discussed before. His new bulb will be here today.
Sometimes when we attempt to remove his beardie from his terrarium, he runs away as if he is scared, which I can understand. But at the same time, I would think he would get used to use picking him up now and then like we have to do.

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
The only tank that we have is my son's tank. :)
But I will keep this in mind after the new bulb arrives.
I appreciate you feedback!! It has helped a lot!!
Have a great day!

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
Kaylyn, does this light look ok?
This is the new light for my son's dragon

Attachments

• 1C07F946-6CEA-4D46-948F-25A78C0ED533.jpeg
    1C07F946-6CEA-4D46-948F-25A78C0ED533.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
Also too, do bearded dragons get a "lazy eye"?
My son is concerned because one of the eyes on his dragon sometimes is halfway closed.
Is this common?

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
Here is a photo of his eye.....
I'll look for the light for sure!

Attachments

• A5914C2A-E952-4FB5-8285-E60DF562DD59.jpeg
    A5914C2A-E952-4FB5-8285-E60DF562DD59.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
His eye is not staying closed all of the time. Just some of the time. The temperature we get from the thermometers that have a suction cup on the back.
We will get a tube light for him.
Let me see if I can get a side view picture for you....