• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New beardie darkening in enclosure

Chidi

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got my beardie Sage about five days ago and he has been darkening and getting stress marks in his enclosure, and then when I take him out he lightens up and his stress marks fade a lot in just a few minutes. Is it possible it’s just due to relocation stress or is something wrong with his enclosure? He also hasn’t been eating much which I’m guessing is because of relocation stress and the fact that he’s shedding. Here’s a pic of my enclosure in case anything’s wrong:

Attachments

• D72366E8-DFD7-4D5A-A311-29A10500C8A7.jpeg
    D72366E8-DFD7-4D5A-A311-29A10500C8A7.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got my beardie Sage about five days ago and he has been darkening and getting stress marks in his enclosure, and then when I take him out he lightens up and his stress marks fade a lot in just a few minutes. Is it possible it’s just due to relocation stress or is something wrong with his enclosure? He also hasn’t been eating much which I’m guessing is because of relocation stress and the fact that he’s shedding. Here’s a pic of my enclosure in case anything’s wrong:
What are you using for a basking light? It looks yellowish-- the UVB what bulb please - I am assuming its a T 5 ? If so you need a distance of 12-15 inches from basking decor ---

Chidi

Bearded Dragon Egg
What are you using for a basking light? It looks yellowish-- the UVB what bulb please - I am assuming its a T 5 ? If so you need a distance of 12-15 inches from basking decor ---
I’m using a fluorescent flood light, the hottest point of the basking area is 109. The bulb is a T5, do I need to switch to a T8 then? Or would removing the reflector help? The bulb is about 9 inches away from the log and 11 from the platform it’s on.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m using a fluorescent flood light, the hottest point of the basking area is 109. The bulb is a T5, do I need to switch to a T8 then? Or would removing the reflector help? The bulb is about 9 inches away from the log and 11 from the platform it’s on.
Can you lower the platform? 11 inches is ok - maybe take out some decor that's so close- your basking bulb needs to be a bright white bulb- off white yellowish bulbs do not give off uva- you want to mimic the sun- he will go thru relocation stress but if he's stressing in the tank I am thinking it's that basking bulb-- try it and see what he does- his stress marks will go away as he acclimates to his tank and surroundings- Do Not get rid of the reflector

Chidi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can you lower the platform? 11 inches is ok - maybe take out some decor that's so close- your basking bulb needs to be a bright white bulb- off white yellowish bulbs do not give off uva- you want to mimic the sun- he will go thru relocation stress but if he's stressing in the tank I am thinking it's that basking bulb-- try it and see what he does- his stress marks will go away as he acclimates to his tank and surroundings- Do Not get rid of the reflector
I could maybe lower the platform I’m not sure though. I had read that flood lights were good but it seems like it was halogen that was good not fluorescent so I’ll get a halogen instead. Do you think removing the reflector from the uvb for now would help at all or no?

Chidi

Bearded Dragon Egg
I could maybe lower the platform I’m not sure though. I had read that flood lights were good but it seems like it was halogen that was good not fluorescent so I’ll get a halogen instead. Do you think removing the reflector from the uvb for now would help at all or no?
I just realized I have an incandescent not fluorescent so now I’m not sure, should I still grab a halogen? How do I make sure the light is white and not yellow?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No he needs the rays to shine downward if you take it off they will be going all over that tank- make sure when you change that bulb out you get a temp w/ the digital probe thermometer- place it on the spot where he basks for 10 minutes then get the temp you don't need to leave it there all the time just do spot checks-- if you want you can go to a T 8 but your gonna need to change the whole fixture out - you out can cover up the part this so close w/ a piece of cardboard -