• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Beardie Baby, looking for information from experienced owners!!

Mountaingirlie_03

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi y’all! I just got a Fancy Beardie Baby who I’m guessing is around two months old from what I read on their size but I’m not positive I wasn’t provided a DOB. I’ve got what I know he needs bare minimum in his enclosure and I plan on getting more for him as soon as I’m able. He has his basking rock, basking lamp, UVB, water, food, and I used reptile carpet. I’ve done tons of research but if I can get any advice I’d be very grateful!!!!

I do know not to use sand, and not to feed the mealworms cause they are too high in fat. Need better feeding options for a baby!

Attachments

• 66BF1B46-66B7-4132-B406-6C33AF8F05A0.jpeg
    66BF1B46-66B7-4132-B406-6C33AF8F05A0.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 23
  • A7D2F2E7-9368-410F-98D4-BB972B48DAF1.jpeg
    A7D2F2E7-9368-410F-98D4-BB972B48DAF1.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 23

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Crickets are great staple food you can try and also feed him so veggies this site gives a great list of what they can eat http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/what-do-bearded-dragons-eat.php
Make sure you have a tube uvb bulb I know the reptisun ones are great and I have them for my beardies. I always say let them eat as much until their heart’s content. I did that with my beardie and the sucker is 25” long and he’s only 9 months old. It’s hard for a baby to get fat because they but all their time and energy into growing. They have to become 200x their original weight and that takes a lot of energy. If you can get Dubai roaches those are the best staple foods for them but they’ll never turn down crickets. I find that daily baths or at least every other day helps keep them hydrated and can get them to go poop easier. He’s very handsome and so beyond adorable

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi y’all! I just got a Fancy Beardie Baby who I’m guessing is around two months old from what I read on their size but I’m not positive I wasn’t provided a DOB. I’ve got what I know he needs bare minimum in his enclosure and I plan on getting more for him as soon as I’m able. He has his basking rock, basking lamp, UVB, water, food, and I used reptile carpet. I’ve done tons of research but if I can get any advice I’d be very grateful!!!!

I do know not to use sand, and not to feed the mealworms cause they are too high in fat. Need better feeding options for a baby!

Google ZenHabitats and call them they have the best flooring substrate; it’s like a padded matt for $34 it’s the best for them & easy to clean. Also I can already tell u don’t have the correct UVB. Order the Reptisun Like Emilia said as well; I Reacue and rehome and u will destroy the dragons bones to wher he can’t walk or eat and eventually die if he doesn’t have the Uvb; Reptisun 10.0 T5 it’s a long tube that should cover 70 prcnt of the tank and the ZooMed clear basking bulb. NO colored bulbs ever and at nite pure dark. As a baby up to 3months the tank should be around 80 at nite when he sleeps then when he gets older it can be 70 or so at nite. If it drops below 68-70 at nite; U can buy a ceramic heat emitter which emits heat only and No light. At night they are like humans( they like dark and quiet and during the day clear white heat like the sun. And YES feed him proteins 4-5 times a day as much as he can eat till he gets full; Dubias and crickets only w/the veggies and greens that stay in he tank on the cold side Feed till 4 months old or so then u can do 3times a day and always a fresh diced dish of veggies/greens everyday but thats to nibble on and get him used to it coz when he’s older it will be 70 prcnt veggies and greens and 30prckt crikers at age 1.5 and older. Staple greens and veggies only. NO spinach ever it binds to calcium. Dandelions, mustard/collard greens, endives, yellow squash, snap peas, green beans and butternut squash are the everyday staple greens. Do a dish diced up small of a mixture of 2-3 greens with 2-3 veggies everyday mornign & mid afternoon a fresh one. Alongside the 4-5 feedings of protein & after the last feeding he need to bask for 2 hours before lights out. And feed one hour after waking up & basking in the Am never rite when he wakes up. Mist & bathe with dechlorinated filtered water buy reptisafe and place drops in his drinking and bathing water to remove the chlorine if your water has chlorine in it. And the Temp on he Hot basking side, as a baby up until 3-4 months should be 105-110 but 105/106 is ideal After that 100-102 and humidity 30-40 never higher than 40 and place some fake tree climbing things u buy at the petstore and a log in the center to prop up on when cooling down. Get him one of these fake trees at Petsmart for basking its gr8 & a hammock behind it like my pic and when he gets older after a year or so remove the tree and get one of these but he should have a hideaway to get away from the uvb or place a soft cloth on his hanmock and he can hide under it to get away from the uvb if he needs a break from it. And the uvb and heat lamp go as seen in my pic. . My uvb covers the entire tank for one Beardie cuz I recovered her from
MBD now I’m getting her a larger tank which my bulb will cover 70 prcnt of it.

Attachments

• 2BD263CF-8293-458D-B140-69AC5AF763C4.jpeg
    2BD263CF-8293-458D-B140-69AC5AF763C4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • F7F7150E-E783-4C22-909E-BC2BBED3C913.jpeg
    F7F7150E-E783-4C22-909E-BC2BBED3C913.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 7C649093-1308-4A0C-A4A3-CEB0865E04E3.png
    7C649093-1308-4A0C-A4A3-CEB0865E04E3.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • A34A5CB0-488F-4146-89FC-DF099D7E2FFE.png
    A34A5CB0-488F-4146-89FC-DF099D7E2FFE.png
    4 MB · Views: 10

BeardiesForever45

Hatchling Dragon
Hi and welcome! Crickets are recommended, but baby dragons are like children and are picky with veggies! See what veggies he likes and feed. Don't forget that insects should make up 80% and plants 20% as a baby!

Mountaingirlie_03

Bearded Dragon Egg
Google ZenHabitats and call them they have the best flooring substrate; it’s like a padded matt for $34 it’s the best for them & easy to clean. Also I can already tell u don’t have the correct UVB. Order the Reptisun Like Emilia said as well; I Reacue and rehome and u will destroy the dragons bones to wher he can’t walk or eat and eventually die if he doesn’t have the Uvb; Reptisun 10.0 T5 it’s a long tube that should cover 70 prcnt of the tank and the ZooMed clear basking bulb. NO colored bulbs ever and at nite pure dark. As a baby up to 3months the tank should be around 80 at nite when he sleeps then when he gets older it can be 70 or so at nite. If it drops below 68-70 at nite; U can buy a ceramic heat emitter which emits heat only and No light. At night they are like humans( they like dark and quiet and during the day clear white heat like the sun. And YES feed him proteins 4-5 times a day as much as he can eat till he gets full; Dubias and crickets only w/the veggies and greens that stay in he tank on the cold side Feed till 4 months old or so then u can do 3times a day and always a fresh diced dish of veggies/greens everyday but thats to nibble on and get him used to it coz when he’s older it will be 70 prcnt veggies and greens and 30prckt crikers at age 1.5 and older. Staple greens and veggies only. NO spinach ever it binds to calcium. Dandelions, mustard/collard greens, endives, yellow squash, snap peas, green beans and butternut squash are the everyday staple greens. Do a dish diced up small of a mixture of 2-3 greens with 2-3 veggies everyday mornign & mid afternoon a fresh one. Alongside the 4-5 feedings of protein & after the last feeding he need to bask for 2 hours before lights out. And feed one hour after waking up & basking in the Am never rite when he wakes up. Mist & bathe with dechlorinated filtered water buy reptisafe and place drops in his drinking and bathing water to remove the chlorine if your water has chlorine in it. And the Temp on he Hot basking side, as a baby up until 3-4 months should be 105-110 but 105/106 is ideal After that 100-102 and humidity 30-40 never higher than 40 and place some fake tree climbing things u buy at the petstore and a log in the center to prop up on when cooling down. Get him one of these fake trees at Petsmart for basking its gr8 & a hammock behind it like my pic and when he gets older after a year or so remove the tree and get one of these but he should have a hideaway to get away from the uvb or place a soft cloth on his hanmock and he can hide under it to get away from the uvb if he needs a break from it. And the uvb and heat lamp go as seen in my pic. . My uvb covers the entire tank for one Beardie cuz I recovered her from
MBD now I’m getting her a larger tank which my bulb will cover 70 prcnt of it.

Thanks for the info!! I know they need the tube UVB to cover 70% of the tank, they didn’t have any in stock so that is just my temporary UVB till I get the other one!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for the info!! I know they need the tube UVB to cover 70% of the tank, they didn’t have any in stock so that is just my temporary UVB till I get the other one!
And the ZooMed basking bulb and a basking platform and branches to climb Etc also lots of protein 5 times per day crickets and Dubia roaches and do the staple veggies and greens that I suggested alwa
Hi and welcome! Crickets are recommended, but baby dragons are like children and are picky with veggies! See what veggies he likes and feed. Don't forget that insects should make up 80% and plants 20% as a baby!
As babies; u train them to eat the veggies/greens whatever u give them they eat so they are ready as adults for the 70prcnt veggies/greens to 20prcnt; 20-25 crickets per day change as adults. And NO u don’t just feed them any greens and veggies; there’s a staple everyday list otherwise u hurt the Beardie; we rescue and rehome and see it everyday!! NO spinach-It binds to calcium, NO kale it’s high in oxalates which is bad & lettuce has no value except water. Staple greens and veggies are as follows: Dandelions, mustard & collard greens, endives, yellow squash, snap peas & butternut squash. Wveryday 2plates diced up small as babies and a bit bigger as they grow but I also the 4-5 protein feedinfs of course and u can hand feed him each kind of veggie too at first that gets u bonding with him:) but do a mixture of 2-3 of each everyday one in morngin and a fresh one late afternoon. Never feed unless he’s been bashing for an hour or more and last feeding he needs lights on for 2hours b4 shutting them off to digest & absorb the food;) enjoy the Beardie and hope all goes well. Remember dark and quiet for sleeping time;)

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I agree with what @Julie1971 said, besides one thing. I recommend getting tile for his/her flooring substrate. It's easy to clean and is easy to find. Do not get laminate flooring though, even though it is cheaper, you would be risking your dragon's health. Laminate flooring emits very toxic fumes and can kill you bearded dragon.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I agree with what @Julie1971 said, besides one thing. I recommend getting tile for his/her flooring substrate. It's easy to clean and is easy to find. Do not get laminate flooring though, even though it is cheaper, you would be risking your dragon's health. Laminate flooring emits very toxic fumes and can kill you bearded dragon.
Mountain girl is correct; NO laminate flooring. Most people can’t do tile I know I could not. U can use smooth shelf liner from target or order the padded matt from ZenHabitats u call them it’s only $34 and easy to clean/wipe or paper towels for now or white terry cloths but the shelf liner is awesome but when u wash/wet it it takes forever to dry.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Mountain girl is correct; NO laminate flooring. Most people can’t do tile I know I could not. U can use smooth shelf liner from target or order the padded matt from ZenHabitats u call them it’s only $34 and easy to clean/wipe or paper towels for now or white terry cloths but the shelf liner is awesome but when u wash/wet it it takes forever to dry.
I only payed $18 USD for my tile at Lowe's. That padded mat is more expensive.
Unless you're talking about a huge terrarium. Then that's where that mat would shine. But the average bearded dragon owner is only going to have 1, maybe 2, bearded dragons. And a terrarium that would house those lizards with tile would only cost around $20-$30.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I just bought 2 pieces of tile and fit them together to make it the size I needed.
No extra tools required.
Yikes is that a 2foot cage?? Way too amall for a Beardie it’s a 20 gallon Up to 3months of age; then a 40 gallon and then at 12mnths of age a 120 gallon minimum or more otherwise the Beardie gets stressed doesn’t have room to move and has Stunted growth. I start with a 40gallon then moved to a 120/180 should be minimum 4feet long by 2feet high & 2Feet deep. Like I said earlier ZenHabitats 120 gallon for only $329 a few days ago they raised it to $389 thats still a smoking deal and u can tell them u saw it for $329 last week. U gotta let the Beardie thrive & live. Also they love looking out a window at all th greenery or looking at you doing things around the house. They love to see things and enjoy life

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yikes is that a 2foot cage?? Way too amall for a Beardie it’s a 20 gallon Up to 3months of age; then a 40 gallon and then at 12mnths of age a 120 gallon minimum or more otherwise the Beardie gets stressed doesn’t have room to move and has Stunted growth. I start with a 40gallon then moved to a 120/180 should be minimum 4feet long by 2feet high & 2Feet deep. Like I said earlier ZenHabitats 120 gallon for only $329 a few days ago they raised it to $389 thats still a smoking deal and u can tell them u saw it for $329 last week. U gotta let the Beardie thrive & live. Also they love looking out a window at all th greenery or looking at you doing things around the house. They love to see things and enjoy life
You know that pieces of tile are not restricted to only 1 foot lengths, right?

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You know that pieces of tile are not restricted to only 1 foot lengths, right?
Even if its a few inches longer sounds like a small cage. Not good, follow what I posted up above we can’t be money conscious when caring for an animal; we have to do the right thing

Lot

Bearded Dragon Egg
Even if its a few inches longer sounds like a small cage. Not good, follow what I posted up above we can’t be money conscious when caring for an animal; we have to do the right thing
I use tile as well. You buy some and piece them together to fill the tank size (kind of like a puzzle). The size of one individual piece doesn't mean the entirety of the tank is that size as well. -_-