• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Bearded Dragon

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I’ll leave it inside. After I turn on all lights and it warms a bit I get him outta his little bed and sit him in his basking area. That’s about 6:30. He basks until I give him salad at 9:30.. then I add bugs to his uneaten salad. Once he eats that’s when he’ll bask a little longer then off to cool side up high. The last couple of days he has stayed there until it’s time to eat again at about 2:30.. I’ll put him on his basking and he’ll stay there a little longer the back to cool and high. Before yesterday he had began to appear to be checking things out…do I want it hot enough for him to gape?
Gaping is good --- you want the temps 95-100 for him --- when they gape they are adjusting the body temp -- its a good thing

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
They should NOT be brumating under the age of at least 1.
His lights and temps are most important, and just keep offering him his food they go through some diet changes, as they grow, and shedding will change his appetite also, keep at it he will be great
Sorry I’m just seeing your reply.. thank you for encouraging words… I’m telling you I sure can use some! Yes I’ve been reading so much about brumation and I see that it would be extremely rare at this age… I’ve had him for 15 days today.. 2 days ago I had felt so much hope as he was moving all over his enclosure… yesterday and today no… I can’t say he’s lethargic… from all I read he just is not exhibiting those characteristics… his eyes are not sunken… he’s alert… no black bearding.. non st all since I’ve had him.. I noticed very faint maybe stress marks on his belly but you’d really have to look hard to see them…he is not nor has he ever been unsure of letting me pick him up.. not at all…he really just appears to be lazy!… wherever I put him I’d where he’ll stay.. in the morning after lites on I get him out of his bed after the temps warm up.. put him on his basking spot.. he will pancake there for around 2 hours then he will slowly mosey his way to the cool side… I made him a rock like background which he loves to climb.. I’ll feed him about 2 hours after lites on… he will only eat on his basking surface and eats about 8-10 one inch roaches… around 1 or so he eats probably 6-7 1 inch roaches… will absolutely not touch salad but I offer it every day and leave it mist off the day… will not eat BSFL… every other day he gets 2-4supereorms which he really likes…. I’m trying my best to keep temps good … there is so much confined out there but I am listening to this forum and not the others. So, I’m not real sure what behavior is still acclimation and when to worry. I plan to take a fecal sample to the vet as soon as I get another.. I appreciate any input

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
Sorry I’m just seeing your reply.. thank you for encouraging words… I’m telling you I sure can use some! Yes I’ve been reading so much about brumation and I see that it would be extremely rare at this age… I’ve had him for 15 days today.. 2 days ago I had felt so much hope as he was moving all over his enclosure… yesterday and today no… I can’t say he’s lethargic… from all I read he just is not exhibiting those characteristics… his eyes are not sunken… he’s alert… no black bearding.. non st all since I’ve had him.. I noticed very faint maybe stress marks on his belly but you’d really have to look hard to see them…he is not nor has he ever been unsure of letting me pick him up.. not at all…he really just appears to be lazy!… wherever I put him I’d where he’ll stay.. in the morning after lites on I get him out of his bed after the temps warm up.. put him on his basking spot.. he will pancake there for around 2 hours then he will slowly mosey his way to the cool side… I made him a rock like background which he loves to climb.. I’ll feed him about 2 hours after lites on… he will only eat on his basking surface and eats about 8-10 one inch roaches… around 1 or so he eats probably 6-7 1 inch roaches… will absolutely not touch salad but I offer it every day and leave it mist off the day… will not eat BSFL… every other day he gets 2-4supereorms which he really likes…. I’m trying my best to keep temps good … there is so much confined out there but I am listening to this forum and not the others. So, I’m not real sure what behavior is still acclimation and when to worry. I plan to take a fecal sample to the vet as soon as I get another.. I appreciate any input
Stay calm they are pretty easy to care for, once you guys find a routine, you will see he might just not want to eat today, or might go some time between poops, but unless his behaviour is really different from usual, give him some time, he could just be in a mood :)

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Stay calm they are pretty easy to care for, once you guys find a routine, you will see he might just not want to eat today, or might go some time between poops, but unless his behaviour is really different from usual, give him some time, he could just be in a mood :)
Well he is going to win an award for the moodiest lizard in town!! He is eating…but he does not like BSFL… he does not like hornworms…he does not like anything green or yellow and that doesn’t move fast!! I’m beginning to think he is a very lazy little man. I think if I didn’t move him from his little bed in the mornings that he would stay right there all day!! I think I’ll give him a month before I get a wellness check… unless something goes wrong of course….I think I’ll take a fecal sample in if he’ll ever go again!… and if that’s all good then no doubt be is the worlds laziest and moodiest lizard!! Lol.. thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well he is going to win an award for the moodiest lizard in town!! He is eating…but he does not like BSFL… he does not like hornworms…he does not like anything green or yellow and that doesn’t move fast!! I’m beginning to think he is a very lazy little man. I think if I didn’t move him from his little bed in the mornings that he would stay right there all day!! I think I’ll give him a month before I get a wellness check… unless something goes wrong of course….I think I’ll take a fecal sample in if he’ll ever go again!… and if that’s all good then no doubt be is the worlds laziest and moodiest lizard!! Lol.. thank you
You can try and feed some canned pumpkin most like it -- that is when your ready to get a stool sample it will make him go to the bathroom -- sorry the BSFL didnt work try some super worms on top of the salads and butter worms are good but the only place I know of where to get them http://www.mulberryfarms.com/-FONT-...NEW-SHIPMENT-FONT-B-/50-Butterworms-p113.html and yes the price on these have skyrocketed along w/ shipping so it is up to you -- I would try the super worms first --- see if that helps w / the eating

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
You can try and feed some canned pumpkin most like it -- that is when your ready to get a stool sample it will make him go to the bathroom -- sorry the BSFL didnt work try some super worms on top of the salads and butter worms are good but the only place I know of where to get them http://www.mulberryfarms.com/-FONT-...NEW-SHIPMENT-FONT-B-/50-Butterworms-p113.html and yes the price on these have skyrocketed along w/ shipping so it is up to you -- I would try the super worms first --- see if that helps w / the eating

I do have superworms and he does like them. I’ve been giving him 2 or 3 every other day. I did try them on top of salad but he will not touch them there. I have even been trying to put a few roaches in his salad and he literally goes away from it. I just keep leaving the salad in his enclosure. About 3 or maybe 4 days ago I really thought we were making progress. He was actually walking around his enclosure and basking…eating good… pooped. Then yesterday Friday, yesterday and today his behavior is not the same. He’s back to just like the first day he was here. Today is the 4th day of no poop. I will get pumpkin and see if he’ll eat it. The breeder also said to get BSFL…he said Charlie loved them… but he just won’t here. I left them the entire day in his enclosure. I know my temps are good and my lights are right. He didn’t look like he’s sick… I mean his eyes aren’t sunken in… he’s never black bearded me….Friday morning he did something I’d never seen… he puffed his beard.. not black tho… I thought he was yawning..and it may have been but he opened his mouth as he puffed his beard but it was bright orange not dark at all….I have not even seen any stress marks on his belly. I don’t understand the set back… is this normal? I live alone so there are no loud noises or anything… he has his own room… I’m in and out all day… I’ve tried leaving the tv on for him.. I’ve left it off.. I’ve played music.. softly… I’ve opened all the curtains and I’ve closed them… I’ve put coverings on his glass doors and not.. so I’m really at a loss as to why it seemed he had a set back …maybe it’s just not been enough acclimation time?? I will order the butter worms..

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do have superworms and he does like them. I’ve been giving him 2 or 3 every other day. I did try them on top of salad but he will not touch them there. I have even been trying to put a few roaches in his salad and he literally goes away from it. I just keep leaving the salad in his enclosure. About 3 or maybe 4 days ago I really thought we were making progress. He was actually walking around his enclosure and basking…eating good… pooped. Then yesterday Friday, yesterday and today his behavior is not the same. He’s back to just like the first day he was here. Today is the 4th day of no poop. I will get pumpkin and see if he’ll eat it. The breeder also said to get BSFL…he said Charlie loved them… but he just won’t here. I left them the entire day in his enclosure. I know my temps are good and my lights are right. He didn’t look like he’s sick… I mean his eyes aren’t sunken in… he’s never black bearded me….Friday morning he did something I’d never seen… he puffed his beard.. not black tho… I thought he was yawning..and it may have been but he opened his mouth as he puffed his beard but it was bright orange not dark at all….I have not even seen any stress marks on his belly. I don’t understand the set back… is this normal? I live alone so there are no loud noises or anything… he has his own room… I’m in and out all day… I’ve tried leaving the tv on for him.. I’ve left it off.. I’ve played music.. softly… I’ve opened all the curtains and I’ve closed them… I’ve put coverings on his glass doors and not.. so I’m really at a loss as to why it seemed he had a set back …maybe it’s just not been enough acclimation time?? I will order the butter worms..
Sticker shock on the butter worms just fyi--------------- if hes puffing the beard out sounds like hes stretching the beard for shed --- very common so shed maybe coming on --- they get cranky!!!!!!!!!!!! bright orange beard means hes happy!! Go about your business giving different atmosphere for him TV on TV off curtains open if he can see out leave them open --- they like activity

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Sticker shock on the butter worms just fyi--------------- if hes puffing the beard out sounds like hes stretching the beard for shed --- very common so shed maybe coming on --- they get cranky!!!!!!!!!!!! bright orange beard means hes happy!! Go about your business giving different atmosphere for him TV on TV off curtains open if he can see out leave them open --- they like activity
Ok.. I will do that. I just gave him a warm bath. He pooped but it was like an explosion!… today made 4 days since he’d pooped. Before today it was every 2-3 days and each time was well formed with the white urate (?) at the end. Today it filled the tub he was end and there was an eco lot of the white stuff. It was not overly smelly tho. He only ate about 6 bugs this morning. Before his bath I had tried to offer him more as well as superworms but he wasn’t interested. I did gather as much poop as I could and put in a small jar as I thought you may say I needed to get it checked out. The closest exotic vet is an hour from me so it’s not like I can just run it over in a hurry. Or should I wait ? I know you said not to take him right now and stress him and I do agree. The poop was not so much thick or thin and runny but more like just an explosion is the best way to describe it. It was like grainy….ok.. like there was shredded wheat in it. I know this sounds so gross but now I’m really worried.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok.. I will do that. I just gave him a warm bath. He pooped but it was like an explosion!… today made 4 days since he’d pooped. Before today it was every 2-3 days and each time was well formed with the white urate (?) at the end. Today it filled the tub he was end and there was an eco lot of the white stuff. It was not overly smelly tho. He only ate about 6 bugs this morning. Before his bath I had tried to offer him more as well as superworms but he wasn’t interested. I did gather as much poop as I could and put in a small jar as I thought you may say I needed to get it checked out. The closest exotic vet is an hour from me so it’s not like I can just run it over in a hurry. Or should I wait ? I know you said not to take him right now and stress him and I do agree. The poop was not so much thick or thin and runny but more like just an explosion is the best way to describe it. It was like grainy….ok.. like there was shredded wheat in it. I know this sounds so gross but now I’m really worried.
Did you see any undigested bugs? Normal amount for not pooping a few days- parasites will cause loose runny smelly poop- I would hold off for now-- sounds like he's fine watch for undigested bugs then basking temps would need to be adjusted-- what veggies is he eating?

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Did you see any undigested bugs? Normal amount for not pooping a few days- parasites will cause loose runny smelly poop- I would hold off for now-- sounds like he's fine watch for undigested bugs then basking temps would need to be adjusted-- what veggies is he eating?
No definitely no undigested bugs. Here’s where I’m keeping my temps … I’m finally able to regulate and keep them steady (without the thermostat as I didn’t like that light on and off do I sent that back)…cool 82…hot 92…basking surface 105. I will change if I need to. His poop was not runny …. This is gross but the best way to describe it ..if you shot shredded wheat out of a syringe… that was what it was like… there was a lot of the white part also. A bit ago after the poop he gobbled 3 superworms and about 4 roaches.. I gave 2 sizes of roaches .. the 5/8 inch and 1 inch… the breeder told me he was eating the 1 inch so on my second order I got 1 inch. So he just ate 4 I’ve inch roaches. But I’m wondering if these are too large. I watch him eat them and he doesn’t appear to have any trouble but they just look big.

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Sadie… my Charlie just pooped again and I need to know what you think. It was a lot!..not in a bath. It had a solid piece but the rest was runny. Yesterday he ate about 30 roaches. He’s not touching greens … refuses. He ate a hornworm and 3 superworms yesterday also. This morning he about 8 roaches but has not wanted any more so far today. I’m wondering if you think I should take him to the vet or still wait. I keep reading about parasites poop being extremely smelly but his was not … I mean it wasn’t great but not horrible…

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sadie… my Charlie just pooped again and I need to know what you think. It was a lot!..not in a bath. It had a solid piece but the rest was runny. Yesterday he ate about 30 roaches. He’s not touching greens … refuses. He ate a hornworm and 3 superworms yesterday also. This morning he about 8 roaches but has not wanted any more so far today. I’m wondering if you think I should take him to the vet or still wait. I keep reading about parasites poop being extremely smelly but his was not … I mean it wasn’t great but not horrible…
Diet is going to play into the consistency of the poop- did he eat 30 roaches for the day or in one sitting? Post a pic of the poop next time - he ate so much yesterday I am surprised he at all today-- how big are the roaches post a pic beside his head w/ a roach please

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Diet is going to play into the consistency of the poop- did he eat 30 roaches for the day or in one sitting? Post a pic of the poop next time - he ate so much yesterday I am surprised he at all today-- how big are the roaches post a pic beside his head w/ a roach please
30 roaches over the course of the day..3 meals. Ok I will post of the poop.. it did have a form but after that was runny. I have 2 sizes of roaches.. one size is 5/8 which is much smaller than between his eyes… then the 1 inch which are probably a bit larger than between his eyes. I did pick out the larger ones yesterday …. There were 2 or 3 1 inch ones that I let him have. The hornworms have grown! He did have one and it’s bigger than between his eyes. Give me a sec and I’ll post pic with bugs

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
30 roaches over the course of the day..3 meals. Ok I will post of the poop.. it did have a form but after that was runny. I have 2 sizes of roaches.. one size is 5/8 which is much smaller than between his eyes… then the 1 inch which are probably a bit larger than between his eyes. I did pick out the larger ones yesterday …. There were 2 or 3 1 inch ones that I let him have. The hornworms have grown! He did have one and it’s bigger than between his eyes. Give me a sec and I’ll post pic with bugs
It’s the same bug… best I could do. It looks bigger in one pic but it’s not. I’m by myself.. best I could get. But looking closer I don’t really think it’s bigger than between his eyes. The breeder had told me that he was eating 1 inch dubia’s that’s why I’d gotten them… my first order tho was the 5/8 which are really small..

Attachments

• D418BD3D-CB1A-4AB8-AED4-D3C6533321E0.jpeg
    D418BD3D-CB1A-4AB8-AED4-D3C6533321E0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 681BB05E-7753-42BC-BF5C-B309AEF8A7BE.jpeg
    681BB05E-7753-42BC-BF5C-B309AEF8A7BE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s the same bug… best I could do. It looks bigger in one pic but it’s not. I’m by myself.. best I could get. But looking closer I don’t really think it’s bigger than between his eyes. The breeder had told me that he was eating 1 inch dubia’s that’s why I’d gotten them… my first order tho was the 5/8 which are really small..
Ok so the smaller the roach the more he's gonna eat - the bigger the less- he can eat the 1 inch and I would cut back to two feedings and take the worm he likes best and put on top of his salads- as he gets to be a yr old he should only be getting insects 2-3 times per week- your dusting will go to calcium d 3 once per week and regular calcium w/ no phosphorus once a week and since he's not eating salads keep giving once a week- you'll have to alternate as best as you can- I give insects to my 2 vitamins on the weekend since they are not the best at eating them plus I watch the poop for dehydration- hornworms are good for hydrating- and my 2 don't poop but every 3 weeks and it's a total blowout--

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok so the smaller the roach the more he's gonna eat - the bigger the less- he can eat the 1 inch and I would cut back to two feedings and take the worm he likes best and put on top of his salads- as he gets to be a yr old he should only be getting insects 2-3 times per week- your dusting will go to calcium d 3 once per week and regular calcium w/ no phosphorus once a week and since he's not eating salads keep giving once a week- you'll have to alternate as best as you can- I give insects to my 2 vitamins on the weekend since they are not the best at eating them plus I watch the poop for dehydration- hornworms are good for hydrating- and my 2 don't poop but every 3 weeks and it's a total blowout--
Ok…I have actually put the superworms on his salad.. I mean he literally runs away from it. Should I let him get a bit hungry? And then maybe he’ll eat the salad and worms? What about the runny poop? Is that just something to watch or should I be worried about this? I’ve been dusting his roaches once a day. I have the vitamin powder … Rep Cal Herpvite multivitamin… which I’ve not been using cause I’d thought you said to put this on the BSFL… which he refuses also.. so, I need to get calcium without the d3? Do I still dust bugs daily? When do I worry about the poop? Today he only ate about 6 bugs this morning. Won’t touch anything so far this afternoon..

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok…I have actually put the superworms on his salad.. I mean he literally runs away from it. Should I let him get a bit hungry? And then maybe he’ll eat the salad and worms? What about the runny poop? Is that just something to watch or should I be worried about this? I’ve been dusting his roaches once a day. I have the vitamin powder … Rep Cal Herpvite multivitamin… which I’ve not been using cause I’d thought you said to put this on the BSFL… which he refuses also.. so, I need to get calcium without the d3? Do I still dust bugs daily? When do I worry about the poop? Today he only ate about 6 bugs this morning. Won’t touch anything so far this afternoon..
How big were the roaches? 6 one inch roach is going to fill him up- when I see the poop I can let you know more- do not dust the bsfl dust only the roaches once a day and 5 x per week w/ calcium d 3 for now-- vitamins 2 x per week - when he turns a year then cut the calcium like I posted-- your using a T 5 bulb you don't need the calcium as much especially the D 3-- let's focus on the poop for now and go from there

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
How big were the roaches? 6 one inch roach is going to fill him up- when I see the poop I can let you know more- do not dust the bsfl dust only the roaches once a day and 5 x per week w/ calcium d 3 for now-- vitamins 2 x per week - when he turns a year then cut the calcium like I posted-- your using a T 5 bulb you don't need the calcium as much especially the D 3-- let's focus on the poop for now and go from there
Ok… thank you so much. I will post pic of poop soon as he does it again…

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok… thank you so much. I will post pic of poop soon as he does it again…
Sadie these are my temps… are they off or ok? 90 is the hot ambient.. 103 is basking surface. I know the cool is too warm… it got very warm in his room and everywhere here today… normally it’s around 82… I have a fan going on that cool side but with temps up here today it’s not doing a lot of good… I didn’t turn the air in as it will be going down into the upper 30’s tonight… it’s crazy weather here in Louisiana!!… please let me know if I need to change these temps… thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sadie these are my temps… are they off or ok? 90 is the hot ambient.. 103 is basking surface. I know the cool is too warm… it got very warm in his room and everywhere here today… normally it’s around 82… I have a fan going on that cool side but with temps up here today it’s not doing a lot of good… I didn’t turn the air in as it will be going down into the upper 30’s tonight… it’s crazy weather here in Louisiana!!… please let me know if I need to change these temps… thank you
What was the cool side? I would get the basking temp down to 95-100 Charlie is not a baby anymore and he is going to NOT like so hot temps ---