• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New bearded dragon owner

BeginnerBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey I just got a beardie he is grumpy because the person we got him from never played with him can I just have some advice to cheer him up and get him comfortable?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey I just got a beardie he is grumpy because the person we got him from never played with him can I just have some advice to cheer him up and get him comfortable?
Most dragons are not grumpy unless hes shedding --- what kind of lighting is in the tank --- this is the lifeline to the dragon and if its incorrect he will not thrive and get sick ---- NO coils for UVB's basking temps should be 95-100 for a adult / juvie dragon and those temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer ------ hes going to go thru relocation stress and may not eat a lot but he should still eat something --- he needs time to acclimate to the tank and surroundings

BeginnerBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Most dragons are not grumpy unless hes shedding --- what kind of lighting is in the tank --- this is the lifeline to the dragon and if its incorrect he will not thrive and get sick ---- NO coils for UVB's basking temps should be 95-100 for a adult / juvie dragon and those temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer ------ hes going to go thru relocation stress and may not eat a lot but he should still eat something --- he needs time to acclimate to the tank and surroundings
I have duel light combo I am going to get better lights for him Wednesday and he is eating fine

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have duel light combo I am going to get better lights for him Wednesday and he is eating fine
Ok you need to get a Zoo Med fixture NO Thrive NO Zilla - I dont know what size tank you have but the fixture should be a 24" w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - these are the best on the market at this time --- this will be good for a 40+ gallon tank --- then if you want to upgrade to a bigger tank it will go right into the next tank --- the bulbs have different placement and distances - the T 5 should be inside the tank for a fine mesh screen like a screen door distance 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece --- if its a WIDE hole type it can sit on top of the screen w/ a distance of 8-10 inches directly over the basking decor

BeginnerBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok you need to get a Zoo Med fixture NO Thrive NO Zilla - I dont know what size tank you have but the fixture should be a 24" w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - these are the best on the market at this time --- this will be good for a 40+ gallon tank --- then if you want to upgrade to a bigger tank it will go right into the next tank --- the bulbs have different placement and distances - the T 5 should be inside the tank for a fine mesh screen like a screen door distance 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece --- if its a WIDE hole type it can sit on top of the screen w/ a distance of 8-10 inches directly over the basking decor
I have a 55 gallon tank

BeginnerBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can I get this

someone recommended me this

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a 55 gallon tank
Ok so thats good --- just get your UVB long tube fixture I can post websites to get them if you need them - you can look at your pet stores and see if they carry the fixture I recommended most do not but only carry the 18 or 20" fixture which is a T 8 and not as strong as the T 5 and that one would HAFT to go inside the tank

BeginnerBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so thats good --- just get your UVB long tube fixture I can post websites to get them if you need them - you can look at your pet stores and see if they carry the fixture I recommended most do not but only carry the 18 or 20" fixture which is a T 8 and not as strong as the T 5 and that one would HAFT to go inside the tank
Does the t5 have to go in the tank

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can I get this

someone recommended me this
the fixture is ok --- the Reptisun is good but when you upgrade to a bigger tank if you do your gonna want the 24" fixture -- and the T 8 MUST go inside the tank or at least need to be unobstructed w/ NO screen or cover over the bulb -- that fixture will have a cover on it -- the basking bulb is good but make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get that temp --- you do not want to burn him up

BeginnerBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
the fixture is ok --- the Reptisun is good but when you upgrade to a bigger tank if you do your gonna want the 24" fixture -- and the T 8 MUST go inside the tank or at least need to be unobstructed w/ NO screen or cover over the bulb -- that fixture will have a cover on it -- the basking bulb is good but make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get that temp --- you do not want to burn him up
I can’t have it in the tank it’s too close to the ground so i have to put it on the screen

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can’t have it in the tank it’s too close to the ground so i have to put it on the screen
Ok your gonna need to take the screen off ---- or have it sit on the top of the tank width wise ---- T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen if you get one -- T 5's are stronger but it depends on that screen - it can sit on top of it but the screen MUST be wide holed --- let me know what you decide to do --- but the dragon definitely needs a good UVB --the screen will block 30% of the UVB rays and from this point on hes gonna need good UVB as that coil has been providing NO UVB and that is not good

BeginnerBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
image.jpg

This is the screen

BeginnerBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
That will work for the T 5 on top- make sure you have a digital probe thermometer- that one on top of screen is only good for ambient and it should be inside the tank- distance would be 8-10 inches decor piece directly under it
The log underneath him is that good?

BeginnerBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
That will work for the T 5 on top- make sure you have a digital probe thermometer- that one on top of screen is only good for ambient and it should be inside the tank- distance would be 8-10 inches decor piece directly under it
And what’s probe thermometer

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The log underneath him is that good?
Get a temp on that log take a digital probe thermometer place that probe on the log and get a temp - older dragons do not like temps over 100 -- it's good to offer a gradient heat a piece of decor that offers different places to sit stand lay on or lay against is good-- I see he's not sitting directly under the light which tells me it may be too hot on the lig