• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New adopted bearded dragon

Isiens

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone! Happy Wednesday! My name is Isabel and I recently adopted a bearded dragon from a lady who could no longer care for him. This is the first time I am caring for a bearded dragon and I must admit I am a little nervous. We have had him at home since Saturday and I am a little concerned because he doesn't seem to be moving or eating very much. From what she told me she was feeding him dried out Flukers dried mix, and it doesn't seem like much else. I did some research and did attempt to feed him some veggies and fruits yesterday, but he didn't want them. He does like to be held and has been doing some basking, even though I don't know what is normal. He also has pooped twice.

I guess my question is, is he maybe just stressed out from the move change of scenery or could there be something wrong with him? Pic attached.

Attachments

• mauro.jpg
    mauro.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone! Happy Wednesday! My name is Isabel and I recently adopted a bearded dragon from a lady who could no longer care for him. This is the first time I am caring for a bearded dragon and I must admit I am a little nervous. We have had him at home since Saturday and I am a little concerned because he doesn't seem to be moving or eating very much. From what she told me she was feeding him dried out Flukers dried mix, and it doesn't seem like much else. I did some research and did attempt to feed him some veggies and fruits yesterday, but he didn't want them. He does like to be held and has been doing some basking, even though I don't know what is normal. He also has pooped twice.

I guess my question is, is he maybe just stressed out from the move change of scenery or could there be something wrong with him? Pic attached.
Ok welcome to beardie world --- first we are going to go over the lighting in the tank ---- first off NO coil UVB's -- you need a long tube fixture for him like a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Arcadia --- they are the best on the market at this time --- a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb for tanks 40+ gallon --- the Arcadia fixture will come w/ a Acradia bulb - they are great bulbs- next you need a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 and that MUST be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are in accurate --these 3 things are the MOST IMPORTANT so if you need to change any of this out work on that first PLEASE----- next please get rid of the sand --- they harbor bacteria and can cause impaction ---- you can use paper towels for now and you can use some NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank --- insects cannot get underneath and it is easy to clean w/ vinegar / water 50/50 solution --- next please get rid of the dry food it is really not healthy -- your dragon needs live insects like crickets dubia roaches silk worms or BSFL--- I recommend the dubia roaches 2-3 times per week --- they should be dusted w/ calcium D3 2 times per week when you feed the insects dust the insects in a old potato salad container do not make them look like a powdered donut -- you can use the container like that for the vitamins -- and alternate the calcium w/ vitamins w/ beta carotene 1 time per week for now ---- after we get your lighting the UVB figured out that would be subject to change w/ the calcium-- do you know if the old owner was giving these supplements at all --- He should bask at least 4 hrs per day ---- NO colored bulbs in the tank please they cause eye issues along w/ long term eye damage -- your dragon needs salads every day fresh
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder ---
please go over the UVB and basking temps w/ me and we can get you set up correctly
He will go thru relocation stress so hes eating will be off but you must get those temps and UVB in order for him to keep eating --- if any of this is incorrect he will stop eating all together and we dont want that

Isiens

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! Thank you so much for your quick response.

Okay, just to make sure I got this straight:
  1. I should change both the bulbs he has to the ones you sent, or one of them should be different? I am attaching a few more pictures of his setup that show the current bulbs he has one is like complete and the other is coiled. I don't know the brand. You can see a little in the second picture.
  2. Would the following thermometer work? https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Digi...ds=Zoo+Med+thermometer&qid=1622649325&sr=8-18
  3. So I have purchased, strawberries, bell peppers, collard greens, carrots, green beans, and cucumbers to feed him this week. The picture here is old, I offered it to him and he wasn't interested but I will keep trying.
  4. I don't know if she was giving him any supplements. There is a calcium dusting powder amongst the things she gave us, but she didn't mention it to us at all when we picked him up.
  5. I will go buy him some live crickets and dubia roaches from the reptile store today. I had gone on Monday but it was closed, and I didn't get back home early enough to yesterday.
  6. I had read about the sand. To be honest, he doesn't look comfortable in it. I was looking at getting him this: https://www.amazon.com/Terrarium-Re...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
Finally, I have a question: As you will see in the setup he only has one heating pad on the left hand side of the tank, this didn't seem enough, so I bought two underneath tank pads. Is this needed? Or is it too much? My house AC is pretty high at night, and I am afraid he will get too cold.

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 2
  • picture maaduro 2.jpg
    picture maaduro 2.jpg
    864.3 KB · Views: 1

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Hi Isabel, stop feeding the bottled food.it a horrible for him. He needs real food: veggies and greens a huge fresh plate everyday: the best and everyday ones are: mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash, butternut squash, snap peas and greens beans. Do 2-3 of each per day mixed together. As treats u can give some fruits also a few times a week; blueberries, mangoes and papaya are the best ones. He also needs good proteins crickets and Dubia roaches are best dusted lightly in repcal calcium powder once per day 3-4 times a week & herptivite vitamin powder once/week per day on a non calcium day. Dump like 10 large crickets in a ziplock sprinkle the calcium powder lightly like salt on fries shake it & feed him. But feed him after 2 hours or so of basking, coz they can’t eat if there body temp is cold. U can oalce the veggies/greens everyday on the cold side & a small reptile dish of water. Try hand feeding blueberries, veggies, etc to gain your trust. He needs a 40gallon tank minimum so if it’s smaller get him one from Petsmart the doors open in the front which is best. Also never ever use a coiled or colored bulb; he needs a CLEAR zoomed basking bulb for heat with a digital thermometer & the heat should be around 95-97 he looks like he’s maybe 9mntjs old. And he needs the long tubular bulb for UVB or he will get brittle bones and shakes/tremors with is MBD. Buy the Reptisun 10.0’T5 and change this Uvb bulb every 6Mnths. Make sure he’s at least 10 inches minimum away from this long bulb the heat lamp he can be a bit closer. Both lights are to be on for 10-12 hours in the winter more like 10 and 12-14 in the summer; more likely 14. Tey and keep the same times for lights on and off everyday if u can and the same protein feeding times. At nite turn all lights off; Beardies like quiet & dark. If the temp in the winter falls below 70 place a 60 watt heat emitter a few inches away from his body where he sleeps this emits heat but no light. The Beardie can’t eat if he’s stressed or of the heat is not correct. And buy a digital humidity gauge it’s $10 at Petsmart place it on the hot side next to the heat lamp 2 inches below the top of the tank and it shoidl be between 30-40 akways never higher than 40. Also make sure to never ever place a Beardie tank under an AC vent he will get sick with an URInfection. Here are pics of the powders to buy. Also baths twice per week in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min minimum to hydrate him. Don’t get water in his ears Amd make sure the water level is below is way below his neck let him soak for 15min minimum Amd when he sheds do more baths to help the shed fall off and to help the itching and splash the water on his back lightly too. Also remove the sand it impacts them use paper towels or white terry cloths

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8