• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

needs help for a pet green anole

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
i have two lizards so far i have smaug my two year old bearded dragon and a 5 year green anole named raptor who is also blind lately raptor hasn't been eating because everytime i open his cage he darts into his cork log i have to hand feed him since he's blind and the only time i get him out of the cage is when i clean his cage

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
He may be dehydrated or nearing the end of his life. Keep offering food and water, and keep a close eye on his temps and humidity.

You could try an appetite stimulant to get him to eat.

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
He may be dehydrated or nearing the end of his life. Keep offering food and water, and keep a close eye on his temps and humidity.

You could try an appetite stimulant to get him to eat.
i mist his cage everyday and he should have a year or two left before i really start worrying him dying of old age they can live in capivity up to 7 years and also where would i get a appetite stimulant

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
i have two lizards so far i have smaug my two year old bearded dragon and a 5 year green anole named raptor who is also blind lately raptor hasn't been eating because everytime i open his cage he darts into his cork log i have to hand feed him since he's blind and the only time i get him out of the cage is when i clean his cage
Since he's blind now, why don't you put him in a simpler enclosure so you can easily access and hand-feed him every time? When I was in middle school, I had a green anole whom I loved. I like my pets obese; I think they're cuter that way. So he was totally normal but every day after school, I'd grab him, hold him in my hands, and power feed him fresh killed crickets and waxworms until he was so full he'd spit out whatever I put in his mouth. I kept him in a big critter keeper maybe 30% smaller than a 10 gallon with a heat light above him, no substrate, and a single stick for him to perch on. I could grab him at will and it wasn't long until he didn't avoid my hand anymore.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Rearranging his enclosure is risky. It seems like he's able to navigate his current enclosure pretty well, and he won't be able to do the same in an enclosure he isn't used to. Blind or not, he should still have an enriching environment with plenty of places to feel safe.

p.s: yes, chubby animals are adorable, but making them obese shortens their lifespan and can lead to health issues such as diabetes, fatty liver disease, etc. An animal's health should not be sacrificed to make them more aesthetically pleasing.

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
Rearranging his enclosure is risky. It seems like he's able to navigate his current enclosure pretty well, and he won't be able to do the same in an enclosure he isn't used to. Blind or not, he should still have an enriching environment with plenty of places to feel safe.

p.s: yes, chubby animals are adorable, but making them obese shortens their lifespan and can lead to health issues such as diabetes, fatty liver disease, etc. An animal's health should not be sacrificed to make them more aesthetically pleasing
i've had him in this 10 gallon for his whole life so he does know it well he started going blind at 4 years old and is now fully blind this is how i feed him currently 1. grab a cricket 2.rip the head off the cricket 3.rub the cricket juice on raptor's nose 4.he licks it then eats

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
It's out of stock at the moment, but many pet stores carry it. It should work if you mix it with water and drip a little onto his nose.
If he's hiding when you open the cage, is it possible you're scaring him somehow instead of him having an issue with his appetite?
i think i am scaring him because its a top sreen cage i have him in so maybe he's getting scared of the noise of the cage being opened

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon

p.s: yes, chubby animals are adorable, but making them obese shortens their lifespan and can lead to health issues such as diabetes, fatty liver disease, etc. An animal's health should not be sacrificed to make them more aesthetically pleasing.
Yeah, but OP's problem is that he's too hard to catch in this enclosure without tearing it up every time and thus he's becoming malnourished. So in my opinion, a new, smaller cage decorated with just one simple object like a stick or driftwood to serve as his basking stage and a hand towel for him to snuggle in would serve to prevent him from running into things too often but also make it easier for OP to grab him and feed him every day to get him back up to weight. I wouldn't recommend this for a healthy anole, but to me, this is a good setup for a geriatric and blind anole.

@Dillmonster123 Does he have a feeding dish with fruit-based baby food? He might smell it and eat by himself. I hand-feed by grabbing the anole with one hand, then touching both sides of his mouth with my thumb and forefinger at once with my other hand and that causes him to pop his mouth wide open. Then I put a killed insect in. He soon gets used to being grabbed all the time.

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah, but OP's problem is that he's too hard to catch in this enclosure without tearing it up every time and thus he's becoming malnourished. So in my opinion, a new, smaller cage decorated with just one simple object like a stick or driftwood to serve as his basking stage and a hand towel for him to snuggle in would serve to prevent him from running into things too often but also make it easier for OP to grab him and feed him every day to get him back up to weight. I wouldn't recommend this for a healthy anole, but to me, this is a good setup for a geriatric and blind anole.

@Dillmonster123 Does he have a feeding dish with fruit-based baby food? He might smell it and eat by himself. I hand-feed by grabbing the anole with one hand, then touching both sides of his mouth with my thumb and forefinger at once with my other hand and that causes him to pop his mouth wide open. Then I put a killed insect in. He soon gets used to being grabbed all the time.
Raptor has never had a food dish[i have an extra one from when smaug was a little baby tho] before. And also raptor has never ate baby food. Also raptor used to be hand tame but since he started going blind he hasn't really been hand tame. also he only runs into things when i take him out of his cage to clean it

iris123

Juvenile Dragon

@Dillmonster123 Does he have a feeding dish with fruit-based baby food? He might smell it and eat by himself. I hand-feed by grabbing the anole with one hand, then touching both sides of his mouth with my thumb and forefinger at once with my other hand and that causes him to pop his mouth wide open. Then I put a killed insect in. He soon gets used to being grabbed all the time
oaky i think i found a good way of feeding him so i take him out and put him in his carrier cage[a small critter keeper] with a stick and a tollit paper roll and then i feed him a cricket in there and put him back

iris123

Juvenile Dragon

so it's been a few days but raptor's been declining he has blood color urates in his poops and i don't have enough money to take him to the vet or else I would

Latest posts