• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need Advice

Hulls Dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey guys my parents are getting me a Bearded Dragon for christmas and I need help choosing a substrate should I use sand wich is more natural or should I go with the safe side paper. :)

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
when it all comes down to it, substrate is a personal choice...bearded dragons arent naturally on sandy soil...its more compact baked clay/dirt but once in a while they do come in contact with sandy spots but not as much as you would think...i personally like to avoid all of the risk and cleaning hassle and go with newspaper and/or textured ceramic tile....if u do go for a particle substrate a good dirt and sand mixture are a little better than the other particle substrates out there

maryjane

Hatchling Dragon
I use bird seed really easy to clean up when they mess.. and when it gets wet the worst that could happen is it will sprout a beardie snack they can digest it so won't cause impaction and it won't cause respiratory problems because it's not dusty and it won't cause eye infection it's basically impossible for them to get it in there eye and they will still be able to bed down in it my girl loves it and I would only use for an adult

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
when it all comes down to it, substrate is a personal choice...bearded dragons arent naturally on sandy soil...its more compact baked clay/dirt but once in a while they do come in contact with sandy spots but not as much as you would think...i personally like to avoid all of the risk and cleaning hassle and go with newspaper and/or textured ceramic tile....if u do go for a particle substrate a good dirt and sand mixture are a little better than the other particle substrates out there

Not quite sure where that information comes from but it's not really true. While its true that they don't usually live on straight sand, they most certainly do live on sandy soils. They have a broad habitat range, spanning most of the central part of Australia from north to south, which includes numerous soil types. Since they are a burrowing species, they are often on sandy soils, sandy loam, chernozems, and some solonized clay soils. They often live in and around rocky outcroppings, and dig burrows at/in the bases of such areas. But regardless of what soil type they inhabit, they are always in contact with small particulate substrate in the wild.

However, not all substrates in captivity are the same. I dont think I would recommend using sand as it does not foster a good nitrogen cycle, does not allow for hydroregulation, doesnt hold a burrow and just gets messy, dusty and gross. If the choices you mentioned above are the only two, then I would say stick with the slate tile as its easier to clean and will help them to wear down their nails in the absence of burrowing. However, keep in mind that it is also a dehydrating substrate, and you will need to be aware of this if you use this substrate.

Ideally, the best substrate is a natural bioactive soil substrate, but this is not for everyone and every situation. It requires a higher enclosure, slightly more work to set up and regular maintenance. However, in the end it is the only substrate that allows for natural behavioural regulation of internal health.

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I use bird seed really easy to clean up when they mess.. and when it gets wet the worst that could happen is it will sprout a beardie snack they can digest it so won't cause impaction and it won't cause respiratory problems because it's not dusty and it won't cause eye infection it's basically impossible for them to get it in there eye and they will still be able to bed down in it my girl loves it and I would only use for an adult
Be careful using seed like that. I sometimes have problems with mealmoths laying their eggs in it.

maryjane

Hatchling Dragon
MJ isn't around a male or has ever been with a male so I'm not sure if she will do that but if she does that will just be infertile but thank you for letting me know :)

Heather1979

Hatchling Dragon
I had a female beardie who was on aspen it's fantastic and if you've got a female I would definitely recommend something for her to bury her eggs in. . Mine used to lay about 15 infertile eggs every 5 or 6 weeks without being near a male and she would dig the substrate until she was comfortable to lay her eggs