• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need Advice on setup

NitrosDad

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just finished this enclosure. It’s a jewelry display case. I’ve had it for a while but recently remodeled the steps and hide. It’s about 4 foot long x 17 in x 38 in tall. I have a MV bulb in there and that’s all I had for a while. I then put another tube bulb in the reptisun 10.0 20”. NItro has MBD from his previous owner. Well lately he has been Acting sluggish. As in when he goes to get a cricket he is not really quick with his movements. He misses a lot of the crickets the first time. I’ve started feeding him but hand as well (I don’t feed him in the habitat because of the sand and I am probably going to change that out here soon anyway just don’t want any problems from that) I have soaked them in the bath with water and going to try some Pedialyte today because I think he might be dehydrated. I feed him kale before the crickets and his crickets are dusted. Today he just does not have an appetite he is not sleeping but he is underneath the steps platform. The mercury vapor bulb on the platform says 128. But I can’t raise it up anymore I’m wondering if the dimmer will help can I use a dimmer switch with this? I don’t remember it being 128 before I put that platform there but the platform is only a few inches tall. He is still about 18 inches from the bulb and the reptisun Bulb is at the top of the enclosure so it’s a good 36” from the floor. There is a heater on the outside of the habitat where his hide is at and at night he will go over there and be right up against the wall. He just isn’t moving around a lot and isn’t real very alert takes him a while to realize I have a cricket in my hand in front of him. I have him move that appointment next week to get him checked out but any advice is appreciated and I am new to this just want him to be good.
IMG_6938.jpg
IMG_6937.jpg
IMG_6936.jpg
IMG_6954.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasperMoon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't know if you can use a dimmer switch on an MVB... but yeah 128 is too hot, so I'd be surprised if you ever see him up there on the platform. Basking temp needs to be 95-115. Air temp on the warm side should be at least 80 to about 90 (my dragon starts gaping when it hits 90) and 80-85 on the cool side. If you think he might be dehydrated (lethargy, sunken in eyes and/or fat pads), get a little dropper full of water and put a drop on the end of his mouth. If he's thirsty he should swallow/lick it. We had to give my daughter's dragon dropperfuls of water for a few days because we discovered that she was dehydrated (have no idea why other than she has been laying eggs which may have done it).

And just some FYI... since this forum isn't very active... you'll likely get a lot more help from Bearded Dragon groups on FB. I'm in several of them. These are my favorites:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2188973148095597/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1840692722621659/

HaggridTheBearded

Hatchling Dragon
sorry, no help from me I'm pretty new to this myself but maybe try a lower wattage bulb over that platform. Anything much over 110 and my beardie looses interest in his basking spot. got tricky when bulbs suddenly burnt out and only option available at that time was a higher wattage bulb. Moved it up as far as I could but it is still too warm some times, recently have turned the basking light on one side off intermittently throughout the day. That seems to normalize things enough in our set-up that he stops hiding under anything he can find.

NitrosDad

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I figured out the issue with the extreme rise in temperature. The new platform I built was constructed of styrofoam. The pink solid stiff boards used in crafts. Then I coated it with the calcium sand. The sand and styrofoam are not good for platforms. Not sure if it reflects it or absorbs it and holds the heat. I got rid of it and used a piece of tile and even tried a flat slab of rock from Home Depot and temps are perfect throughout the enclosure.
IMG_6765.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk