• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My ill beardy getting worse again after he got better returning from vet

SquirkyTurtle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Heya,

We adopted a little juvenile beardy about 3 weeks ago. He was fine when we got him and he's had a healthy appetite (eating between 10-20 medium dubias a day). We have been struggling to get him to touch his veg but it got better the longer we had him. Last Saturday, all over sudden we noticed him having lameness in his front legt. He kept it of the ground and we saw it jittering quite a bit. We were concerned but he was shedding so we thought it might be that, as his eating and pooping and general behaviour was alright even if maybe a little less at that point. The leg got a lot worse and by Monday evening he wasn't moving his back legs either. They were also swollen up quite a bit. We freaked ourselves out about MBD but our tank has all the important bits (uv tube, basking area, etc) and as it was all new we assumed there couldn't be any issues with the uv light. We have also been dusting his dubias.

We booked an emergency vet appointment for Tuesday and he stayed over night. The vet did an xray and she said there was a mild case of MBD and he also had an injury to one of his legs. We showed the vet our setup and she said this could be caused by the uv light being too high upfor his basking area (we got a 4.5ft tank, light is at the top and basking spot is like 30% up in the tank) and even tho he did tend to sit on his root right under his uv light, we assumed this was probably the issue. We then went and got a new basking uv light and took him home with calcium and pain killers. He was really active the evening we got him home and ate an usual high amount of dubias. His front leg was a lot better also but his back legs were still pretty bad. From the next day on it started degrading again (both food eaten and movement) and he's down to not eating today (3rd evening home) and he's mostly just sitting in place not moving and looking more ill again. We don't understand what is happening, he should definitely get his uv now as he's by his basking uv light all day long. I know this is not an instant cure but be was so much more active the night be brought him home and now he's back to seeming more ill. We have a follow up appointment next Thursday but I thought I would post this here to see if anyone has any ideas? I am really worried, we have had him for so short and I've really tried to do all the research.

Some more info:
-he used to poop once or twice a day but its a bit more irregular right now (approx every 2nd day for the last 5ish days but he's also eating a lot less) but his poops look good, not wet and all digested
-the painkillers we got knock him out quite a bit, we give them in the evening and after he's pretty dazed and out of it
-we had a nice temperature established (30-cold,40-hot) but since we switched to the uvb basking bulb, we had some struggles getting that back. Our temperature gun got something around 30 on the cool side and like 38 on the hot side, right under his basking bulb it gets between 40 and 45. We bought a more low wattage bulb but we are still not quite there yet, especially since we gotta heat the tank with it as well
- we got a bioactive viv with quite a lot of stuff inside that we can't take out (rock wall and cave) but we baby proofed everything with towels at the moment because the vet suggested giving him more even areas for recovering. This obviously pushes everything up so we think the higher temperature probably has to do with that.

Please if anyone has any ideas what I can do to improve things please let me know. This is making me really concerned, we only just got him and I dont want to be the cause if him being ill.

I tried to describe everything but if there is any questions, please ask! I will appreciate all kinds of insights.

Cheers

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Is it possible he's "stoned", on the painkillers? Are you able to do a separate long tube uvb fixture/bulb and regular basking lamp? If he's ill, the warmer temps are probably a good thing, as long as he has a cooler spot he can choose to go to.

SquirkyTurtle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is it possible he's "stoned", on the painkillers? Are you able to do a separate long tube uvb fixture/bulb and regular basking lamp? If he's ill, the warmer temps are probably a good thing, as long as he has a cooler spot he can choose to go to.

Heya!

Oh yes yes defo stoned from the painkillers. He's reacting to them extremely much, after we give then he tends to just flop down and sit there dazed. We are giving him the right amount prescribed tho at the right time as well, so we assume its just a side effect.

But most days he perks up a bit around afternoon. He ate about 3/4 dubias today and yesterday, no veggies. Do you recon his loss of appetite is to do with his meds?

In general I think his legs are a bit stronger today, when I picked him up for his meds I felt some resistance and I saw him climbing moving his legs around a bit even tho they are still jittering and not really weight bearing.

We do have a uvb tube with a reflector at theceiling of the tank, it's a T5 and it's mounted close to the front of the tank. The reason we substituted with the basking uvb is cause we were worried it might be a little far away for him to reach him everywhere.

Also yes, he has cooler spots and he does move around to cool off but he spends 80% of his day on a little perch near but not right under his basking lamp. The UV should reach him there no problem.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
The lights should be good, then. Yes, I'm thinking the loss of appetite is related to the meds, at least in part. I'm glad it looks like his legs are starting to get better! And if he's eating a bit and not refusing food altogether, I think that's a good sign as well. Crossing fingers for his recovery! :0)