• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My dragon escaped for three days and went feral

Nomi

Bearded Dragon Egg
My bearded dragon escaped, I found him three days later outside in my yard. We only had him for three days before this, and during those first three days he was extremely docile and barely moved. Now he tries to jump off me all the time and tries to run away any chance he gets. He got a taste of freedom and he wants more. Is there any way to undo the damage?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Everyone makes mistakes here and there, we all start somewhere.. I would advise you to invest in a harness for when you take him outside, and a enclosed enclosure for him to soak up the sun in a safe environment. Boys are more active and outgoing. Taking them outside soo soon after bringing him home was a bit too soon.. Building the trust takes time..

Jack Reeman

Hatchling Dragon
Everyone makes mistakes here and there, we all start somewhere.. I would advise you to invest in a harness for when you take him outside, and a enclosed enclosure for him to soak up the sun in a safe environment. Boys are more active and outgoing. Taking them outside soo soon after bringing him home was a bit too soon.. Building the trust takes time..
Sorry that I may have come across a bit strong. As Hdrydr31 said, everyone makes mistakes, so I was wrong to shoot you down.

Just take extra care for the first few weeks!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Keep in mind that natural sunlight can make dragons very aggressive. keep it in the tank and try hand feeding it for a while. this tends to build a relationship well.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I don't think he's necessarily feral. In normal circumstances when you bring one home, they are okay the first few days and then get a little scared and nervous when they realize they aren't going anywhere and this is their forever home. Just put him in his tank and try not to handle him much and let him settle in. Cover 3 sides of his tank to make him feel more secure. Only pick him up if you need to and do it by scooping him from underneath. Pet him on his back, talk to him and he should start calming down.

beeneufe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Mistakes certainly happen so I wouldn't sweat it, just be a little more careful in the future when you are outside with him (or did he get loose inside and get out..?) As it has been said already, take your time and let your little guy get comfortable before handling. Start with petting and hand feeding then go from there. My girl will often hang out on my lap, but even now after a year she is eager to run around and explore. If I don't have time to watch her, I let her out in my room with the door closed and a blanket stuffed under my dresser so she doesn't burrow on me.
A harness is a great idea, same with an outdoor enclosure. Good luck!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Another great thing to block off underneath furniture are those foam pool noodles. They are soft and can be wedged under a dresser or couch so they can't get under.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm sorry but I really don't understand how "natural sunlight makes beardies aggressive." I have had Bayne for going on six months and have always taken him outside with me. Natural sunlight can't make anything aggressive.....

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

Jack Reeman

Hatchling Dragon
I'm sorry but I really don't understand how "natural sunlight makes beardies aggressive." I have had Bayne for going on six months and have always taken him outside with me. Natural sunlight can't make anything aggressive.....

Natural sunlight doesnt make them agressive at all. 30 minutes in the sun = 8 hours of uvb bulb.

They are naturally scared of birds and other predators. Imagine a huge thing standing over you while your looking into the sun. All your going to see is a massive silhouette. Thats why they would appear "more agressive".

I let spyro run on the grass when its hot. She either runs into my shirt when im laying on the grass or runs to a bush to hide.

I would always recommend taking them outside.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Humanmeerkat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Been taking my beardie outside for 12 years now and the old boy has never been aggressive...sunlight-good diet-good temps and regular baths = happy happy boy

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

jessya

Bearded Dragon Egg
wow people are rude as hell I don't give a **** if you don't have experience or do before I got my beardie I had never came in contact with one. my dad had already had one and decided to get another from a pet store. he was malnourished, wild, and just straight up uncomfortable with humans no one wanted him. until I decided to take him over. don't get me wrong it takes a lot of patience and trust. you have to build a bond with him by talking to him so he learns your voice when handling him be very calm and slow motioned. give him baths and your body heat they love it. now my beardie perks right up when he hears me will run to me if he hears or feels threatened. I sleep with him at first I was afraid of rolling on him but he just wiggles till he feels comfortable and cuddles back up to me he is the biggest baby I have.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
And no jumping off of you hell get injured.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Humanmeerkat

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don't think it's the fact that people are rude rather it's just frustration on people getting an animal then asking advice when it is clear they collected the animal before they have googled care needs and put a care plan in place before hand..not directly aimed at this op by the way..just in general..my advice is read up what you can then ask questions putting any misunderstood or contradictory information straight

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Lol to y'all who say bearded dragons don't get aggressive in natural sunlight. If yours does not, then congratulations. My beardie is amazing, I've had her for 5 years, I take her outside for a few hours every single day. She's allowed to run around as freely as she wants. But when it comes time for me to go pick her up to take her back in, she always gets defensive and her beard comes out, occasionally she will open her mouth at me. She has never bitten me or gotten crazy, but it does make her slightly aggressive. Once i actually pick her up she's fine and acts like nothing happened. And she shows absolutely zero aggression like this when she's inside. My previous male beardie also did this consistently. If she's outside but in the shade, she does not get upset with me. I think the natural instinct comes out more when they're exposed to a more natural environment. Perhaps it is a way to say "hey I'm not ready to go inside." Once again, if your bearded dragon does not do this- thats fantastic. But this is a forum to help each other out, and as I've had these experiences, i think its important for people to be aware that this CAN happen. It happens to me daily so please do not say it doesn't happen. It does. And its something someone new to beardies should be aware of that this could potentially happen but its normal and nothing to be afraid of. Also to help this original poster understand that their dragon has not gone "feral."

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All dragon's are different and that is really awesome about them.. Some love being outside and to some it's a big scary world surrounded by stimuli that is either good or bad. So yes it will happen and it is a good thing to be aware of. I have 2 beardies and my female Izzy is 1yr 4 month approx and she LOVES to lay in the sun in her mesh tent and when she wants to wonder around I put her leash on and I let her run around in the grass.. Making sure she doesn't eat anything and to keep her safe she has a blast... NOW my newest guy is 7 months old and he is not soo thrilled about being outside and would much rather be in his tent in the shady part (towel draped over) My female is aware of things that are above her but I can walk right up to her.. My male is HYPER alert of things above so I make sure I get down closer to him so startle him. I do let him wander around while on leash to get some exercise as well. Where we are they can't free roam as we have Many many birds of prey.. not to mention many of my flowers in my gardens are not beardie friendly.

As you stated BrookeE it is good to be aware of yet another "behavior" of these great critters :)

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Lol to y'all who say bearded dragons don't get aggressive in natural sunlight. If yours does not, then congratulations. My beardie is amazing, I've had her for 5 years, I take her outside for a few hours every single day. She's allowed to run around as freely as she wants. But when it comes time for me to go pick her up to take her back in, she always gets defensive and her beard comes out, occasionally she will open her mouth at me. She has never bitten me or gotten crazy, but it does make her slightly aggressive. Once i actually pick her up she's fine and acts like nothing happened. And she shows absolutely zero aggression like this when she's inside. My previous male beardie also did this consistently. If she's outside but in the shade, she does not get upset with me. I think the natural instinct comes out more when they're exposed to a more natural environment. Perhaps it is a way to say "hey I'm not ready to go inside." Once again, if your bearded dragon does not do this- thats fantastic. But this is a forum to help each other out, and as I've had these experiences, i think its important for people to be aware that this CAN happen. It happens to me daily so please do not say it doesn't happen. It does. And its something someone new to beardies should be aware of that this could potentially happen but its normal and nothing to be afraid of. Also to help this original poster understand that their dragon has not gone "feral."

Then you should specify what you mean. Your girl probably doesn't want to go back in yet, so she fights. But that is most definitely not caused by the sun. That's caused by her enjoying herself!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My bearded dragon escaped, I found him three days later outside in my yard. We only had him for three days before this, and during those first three days he was extremely docile and barely moved. Now he tries to jump off me all the time and tries to run away any chance he gets. He got a taste of freedom and he wants more. Is there any way to undo the damage?
I agree with the last post; Yoir Beardie does not like you!! Number one protein protein protein 3-5 times a day if he’s a baby so prolly about 100 crickets a day and Dubia roaches only and mist be dusted in calcium. Never ever do dried food or meal worms this impacts them. And horn/super worms add to their diet a few times a week when they are 1.5-2yrs old. Also a bowl of fresh staple veggies and greens which is dandelions, mustard/collard greens, snap peas and yellow squash/butternut sqaluash and green beans and a 20gallon tank of hes a baby and 30 if he’s 2-4 months old than a 40 gallon I wud start with a 40 gallon!! No sand and no coils or colored bulbs ever!!! Pure dark and quiet at nite when he sleeps. Temps need to be 95-105 for an adult and for a baby 100-105. Humidity 30-40 only and warm baths 2 times a week for 15min I’m dechlorinated water buy reptisafe to place drops in the water to dechlorinate. He needs 10-12 hours of UVb and heat religiously!!! In winter a bit less mimic the day u need to buy the long tubular bulb called the Reptisun 10.0 T5, and the ZooMed basking bulb UVb in back and basking in front either the left front corner or right front corner and uvb in the back covering 80prcnt of the tank. They need this for energy, to absorb vitamin D and do absorb the calcium otherwise they will be weak, no energy and bone disease like majorly!! And tank is light and bright for energy during the day. Last feeding they need heat/UVb for 2hoirs before putting them to bed to digest the food. Do all this or relinquish the dragon he hates his set up and doesn’t not like you; wrong husbandry can kill a dragon!!

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I agree with the last post; Yoir Beardie does not like you!! Number one protein protein protein 3-5 times a day if he’s a baby so prolly about 100 crickets a day and Dubia roaches only and mist be dusted in calcium. Never ever do dried food or meal worms this impacts them. And horn/super worms add to their diet a few times a week when they are 1.5-2yrs old. Also a bowl of fresh staple veggies and greens which is dandelions, mustard/collard greens, snap peas and yellow squash/butternut sqaluash and green beans and a 20gallon tank of hes a baby and 30 if he’s 2-4 months old than a 40 gallon I wud start with a 40 gallon!! No sand and no coils or colored bulbs ever!!! Pure dark and quiet at nite when he sleeps. Temps need to be 95-105 for an adult and for a baby 100-105. Humidity 30-40 only and warm baths 2 times a week for 15min I’m dechlorinated water buy reptisafe to place drops in the water to dechlorinate. He needs 10-12 hours of UVb and heat religiously!!! In winter a bit less mimic the day u need to buy the long tubular bulb called the Reptisun 10.0 T5, and the ZooMed basking bulb UVb in back and basking in front either the left front corner or right front corner and uvb in the back covering 80prcnt of the tank. They need this for energy, to absorb vitamin D and do absorb the calcium otherwise they will be weak, no energy and bone disease like majorly!! And tank is light and bright for energy during the day. Last feeding they need heat/UVb for 2hoirs before putting them to bed to digest the food. Do all this or relinquish the dragon he hates his set up and doesn’t not like you; wrong husbandry can kill a dragon!!
this post was from 4 years ago:)