• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Beardie won't drink anything!

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Hello everyone. I a bit worried because my Beardie will not drink anything! So lately I have been giving him a bath everyday to hydrate him that way and I put drops of water on his nose but he doesn't lick it and its been about a week! He is not acting different or acting sluggish either so I am wondering if maybe he is getting water from the crickets he is eating? I gutload the crickets that I get for him and they also have a food with water in it to hydrate the crickets. I have had him for a little over a month and he has never acted this way before. Any suggestions???

Toasty

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone. I a bit worried because my Beardie will not drink anything! So lately I have been giving him a bath everyday to hydrate him that way and I put drops of water on his nose but he doesn't lick it and its been about a week! He is not acting different or acting sluggish either so I am wondering if maybe he is getting water from the crickets he is eating? I gutload the crickets that I get for him and they also have a food with water in it to hydrate the crickets. I have had him for a little over a month and he has never acted this way before. Any suggestions???

Many beardies will drink from a water dish either very rarely or pretty much never. A bath every day might be a little much, I think a few times a week would be more than sufficient. Since he isn't licking the water off his nose, it might just be that he isn't thirsty. You could also try spritzing him from a water bottle (outside the enclosure) concentrating on the head area and maybe he will lick the droplets running down his face. In their natural environment, beardies do obtain the majority of their water requirements from the prey they eat. Is the baby food with water in it what you are using to gutload the crickets? You say he has never acted this way before--does that mean that previously he regularly drank water?

Pat B

Super Moderator
Mine rarely will drink water and I don't worry about it. He gets a bath about 3 times a week. He also does not have a bowl in the viv. Beardies are hearty creatures and pretty much know what they need as long as you provide the proper environment for them. Right now....I am trying to get my little beardie to eat greens....what a struggle....the little booger just turns his nose up at the site of greens. So I am just 'guessing' he isn't interested but hopefully will be one day plus he is just but 6 months so maybe it is still a bit early.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Yes Toasty he previously drank water, but only when I put it on the tip of his nose. It makes me feel a lot better than you said yours barely drinks either. That's another new thing I learned! Didn't realize Beardies don't need to drink everyday. Pat, I am having a struggle with my mine eating greens too! He is so stubborn! I've tried everything and he doesn't want any of it! lol...hopefully when he gets older he'll be more into them.

NaTasha Brinkley

Juvenile Dragon
Well, they ARE desert animals and there is not very much water in the desert, so it's normal that they don't drink very much. LOL. They do get most of the their water from the crickets and veggies. I've only seen mine drink one time and that was when she was in the bath. She was gulping it down!

Pat B

Super Moderator
Yes Toasty he previously drank water, but only when I put it on the tip of his nose. It makes me feel a lot better than you said yours barely drinks either. That's another new thing I learned! Didn't realize Beardies don't need to drink everyday. Pat, I am having a struggle with my mine eating greens too! He is so stubborn! I've tried everything and he doesn't want any of it! lol...hopefully when he gets older he'll be more into them.
too funny....maybe our beardies are brothers!!

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
They'll normally drink when they're taking their baths whether you notice it or not, they tend not to make it obvious. If they start getting to where they're not pooping regularly is the only time you need to worry about it.