• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My beardie is having trouble

Jewelie952

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all, my 4.5 month old beardie grumpy George is having some trouble. I am desperately seeking advice.

I am tapped out of resources completely at the moment and I can't make it to a vet until I have more money. Optimistically, at the end of the week.

My 4.5 month old beardie, grumpy george, is just acting off and I don't know what to do. His eating has diminished drastically. I adjusted his bulbs and raised the temps to 110. That helped his appetite a little. Before he ate only one Dubai roach a day and yesterday he ate 2 hornworms and two roaches. I dusted one of the hornworms with a good amount of calcium, d3 free dust.

I have 1 infrared 150 watt bulb. 1 zoo med basking bulb 150 watt and one 10.0 repti sun uvb bulb. I have 2 analog thermometers inside the tank one for hot side one for cool side (I know, not good. But these ones came recommended by the pet shop employee and I caved). The hot side is about 110 and the cool side is about 70. Before his appetite was better, he was eating about 15 med sized crickets a day. All of which were dusted.

I have noticed in the last two days he has started to shake a bit. His arm yesterday as he was climbing his rock and his head this morning. I don't know what to do. Im sure it's a deficiency of some sort but what? I can hardly get him to eat much less get him the full spectrum of vitamins he needs immediately. And I know I should take him to a vet but I have 12 dollars to my name. Any suggestions from anyone would help.

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, the information you gave is very helpful but could you also post pictures of him and the enclosure?

Aspookyghost

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all, my 4.5 month old beardie grumpy George is having some trouble. I am desperately seeking advice.

I am tapped out of resources completely at the moment and I can't make it to a vet until I have more money. Optimistically, at the end of the week.

My 4.5 month old beardie, grumpy george, is just acting off and I don't know what to do. His eating has diminished drastically. I adjusted his bulbs and raised the temps to 110. That helped his appetite a little. Before he ate only one Dubai roach a day and yesterday he ate 2 hornworms and two roaches. I dusted one of the hornworms with a good amount of calcium, d3 free dust.

I have 1 infrared 150 watt bulb. 1 zoo med basking bulb 150 watt and one 10.0 repti sun uvb bulb. I have 2 analog thermometers inside the tank one for hot side one for cool side (I know, not good. But these ones came recommended by the pet shop employee and I caved). The hot side is about 110 and the cool side is about 70. Before his appetite was better, he was eating about 15 med sized crickets a day. All of which were dusted.

I have noticed in the last two days he has started to shake a bit. His arm yesterday as he was climbing his rock and his head this morning. I don't know what to do. Im sure it's a deficiency of some sort but what? I can hardly get him to eat much less get him the full spectrum of vitamins he needs immediately. And I know I should take him to a vet but I have 12 dollars to my name. Any suggestions from anyone would help.
Idk if you're still seeking help but, it could be he might be a bit constipated it could be a little more serious, as for the shaking that is an obvious sign of a deficiency most likely calcium, if you don't have it all ready you should go down to a pet store and get your beardie some calcium powder.
You should only be giving your beardie calc. powder about 3 times a week and regular vitamins about once a week.
I wonder what his diet is like cuz that could also be a contributing factor.
And if anything is swelling up you'll need to check him out at a vet, immediately.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If your dragon is shaking its a sign of MBD which means your UVB is inadequate if your using a coil UVB please get rid of it --- here is some info on UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
If you need more help w/ fixtures or what to buy please ask and I will help you --- basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- you can get them at Petco or Petsmart for $7----stick ons are inaccurate--- please do not listen to the petstore people --- in the mean time you can get your dragon outside for some good UVB -- place him in a plastic tote NO GLASS set in direct sunlight/ partial shade for 15 minutes NO LONGER you dont want to burn him up --- watch him - you can do this several time per day til you get the UVB situation figured out -- but your UVB and basking temps are the MOST IMPORTANT THING in that tank ---- if you have any more questions please ask