• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My bearded dragon sleeps ALOT

dharvey4651

Hatchling Dragon
Okay so a bit of back history here...

We got our beardie when he was about 1 month old - 3.5" long tops in the beginning of July.

He had a voracious appetite. We were told to feed him crickets and collards by the pet store we got him from and he would always eat everything he was fed.

We slowly introduced him to mealworms and wax worms as he got a bit bigger. We didn't realize how unhealthy eating these worms was at the time

He was a fairly consistent pooper - every to every other day.

He started getting bigger and my father in law caught and fed him one very large black wild cricket.

This was around the same time we introduced him to dubia roaches so I'm not certain what triggered it but shortly after eating that cricket, he refused to eat crickets moving forward. He also started getting very picky with his greens around the same time.

Eating dubia roaches, super worms and collards(when he'd eat them), he grew very large very quickly. From about 8 inches to over 16 inches in about 2 months.
20200718_233917.jpg20201020_184727.jpg

He has recently started sleeping ALOT - within the last month or so... He comes out every morning, eats a handful of 1/2" - 3/4" dubias and a super worm or 2 if he eats his roaches - all dusted in calcium with D3. He is also given a salad with his bugs but he doesn't seem interested in his greens or veggies at all.

Typically between 10:30am - 12pm, he goes back into his hide and we don't see him again until the next day. Once in a while he'll hang out a while longer but he never stays up all day like he used to.

His poops have also become alot less frequent - like every 3-5 days and I usually have to give him a warm bath to help stimulate a bowel movement.

Here is a photo of my setup.
20201017_150810.jpg
I have a 150watt Flukers basking spotlight, a 100watt ceramic heat emitter that is only on at night(gets very cold in my house at night) and a 22" linear T5 Reptisun UVB 10.0 in 24" reflective fixture.

40 gallon glass tank with screen lid - soon to be upgraded to a Zen but will probably need to wait until after the holidays.

Basking spot is about 105 degrees. It is on top of his hide.

Warm side is about 90 degrees and cold side varies from 75-80 degrees depending on how often the front door gets opened.

No colored bulbs and all lights are off at night.

Is it normal for my Charlie to sleep so much? It seems abnormal because he used to be so active...

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay so a bit of back history here...

We got our beardie when he was about 1 month old - 3.5" long tops in the beginning of July.

He had a voracious appetite. We were told to feed him crickets and collards by the pet store we got him from and he would always eat everything he was fed.

We slowly introduced him to mealworms and wax worms as he got a bit bigger. We didn't realize how unhealthy eating these worms was at the time

He was a fairly consistent pooper - every to every other day.

He started getting bigger and my father in law caught and fed him one very large black wild cricket.

This was around the same time we introduced him to dubia roaches so I'm not certain what triggered it but shortly after eating that cricket, he refused to eat crickets moving forward. He also started getting very picky with his greens around the same time.

Eating dubia roaches, super worms and collards(when he'd eat them), he grew very large very quickly. From about 8 inches to over 16 inches in about 2 months.
View attachment 24134View attachment 24135

He has recently started sleeping ALOT - within the last month or so... He comes out every morning, eats a handful of 1/2" - 3/4" dubias and a super worm or 2 if he eats his roaches - all dusted in calcium with D3. He is also given a salad with his bugs but he doesn't seem interested in his greens or veggies at all.

Typically between 10:30am - 12pm, he goes back into his hide and we don't see him again until the next day. Once in a while he'll hang out a while longer but he never stays up all day like he used to.

His poops have also become alot less frequent - like every 3-5 days and I usually have to give him a warm bath to help stimulate a bowel movement.

Here is a photo of my setup.
View attachment 24133
I have a 150watt Flukers basking spotlight, a 100watt ceramic heat emitter that is only on at night(gets very cold in my house at night) and a 22" linear T5 Reptisun UVB 10.0 in 24" reflective fixture.

40 gallon glass tank with screen lid - soon to be upgraded to a Zen but will probably need to wait until after the holidays.

Basking spot is about 105 degrees. It is on top of his hide.

Warm side is about 90 degrees and cold side varies from 75-80 degrees depending on how often the front door gets opened.

No colored bulbs and all lights are off at night.

Is it normal for my Charlie to sleep so much? It seems abnormal because he used to be so active...
Sounds like brumation and the large out door cricket please do NOT feed anymore -- you do not know where that insect came from and he could of had poison on him insecticide etc................. it is normal for them to go thru brumation and get lazy this time of year its instinct --- keep an eye on his weight and make sure hes hydrated - you can get a weight on him on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams-- the 105 might be too hot as dragons get older they do not like hot temps -- I would get a piece of decor that offers different gradient heat Pet Smart has great decor pieces for that
the UVB should be inside the tank if its a fine mesh screen like a screen door 12-15 inches directly over basking decor - if the screen is a wide holed screen it can be on top of screen but the decor piece should be 8-10 inches directly under it

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Sleeping all day is a sign of brumation, but beardies don't really eat that much during brumation... Make sure he's just going through winter shutdown. If not, he could be sick. You may want to bring him in for a checkup

It's common for beardies to stop liking one feeder if they discover something they like better, I wouldn't worry too much about him ignoring crickets in favor of dubias.

dharvey4651

Hatchling Dragon
Sounds like brumation and the large out door cricket please do NOT feed anymore -- you do not know where that insect came from and he could of had poison on him insecticide etc................. it is normal for them to go thru brumation and get lazy this time of year its instinct --- keep an eye on his weight and make sure hes hydrated - you can get a weight on him on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams-- the 105 might be too hot as dragons get older they do not like hot temps -- I would get a piece of decor that offers different gradient heat Pet Smart has great decor pieces for that
the UVB should be inside the tank if its a fine mesh screen like a screen door 12-15 inches directly over basking decor - if the screen is a wide holed screen it can be on top of screen but the decor piece should be 8-10 inches directly under it

That big black wild cricket was one my father in law caught and gave him. I would have never given it to him personally but I wasn't home to stop him.

His basking decor/hide is approx 4 inches shorter in height than the tank itself. The basking lamp is directly above that. The decor has "steps" and he doesn't always sit on the very top. The slot where he likes to sit the most is about 95 degrees taken with a laser thermometer.

The UVB fixture does sit above the fine mesh screen but it is about 7 inches directly above a log Charlie loves to sit on. I can move inside but then the floor of the tank will be 12-15 inches below the lamp.

I suspected brumation so I ordered a kitchen scale but it hasn't arrived yet. So far Charlie doesn't seem to be losing weight looking at him but I intend to more closely monitor his weight once the scale arrives.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That big black wild cricket was one my father in law caught and gave him. I would have never given it to him personally but I wasn't home to stop him.

His basking decor/hide is approx 4 inches shorter in height than the tank itself. The basking lamp is directly above that. The decor has "steps" and he doesn't always sit on the very top. The slot where he likes to sit the most is about 95 degrees taken with a laser thermometer.

The UVB fixture does sit above the fine mesh screen but it is about 7 inches directly above a log Charlie loves to sit on. I can move inside but then the floor of the tank will be 12-15 inches below the lamp.

I suspected brumation so I ordered a kitchen scale but it hasn't arrived yet. So far Charlie doesn't seem to be losing weight looking at him but I intend to more closely monitor his weight once the scale arrives.
Sounds good--

dharvey4651

Hatchling Dragon
Sleeping all day is a sign of brumation, but beardies don't really eat that much during brumation... Make sure he's just going through winter shutdown. If not, he could be sick. You may want to bring him in for a checkup

It's common for beardies to stop liking one feeder if they discover something they like better, I wouldn't worry too much about him ignoring crickets in favor of dubias.
I really think it is brumation but I wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong.

Vets in my area are dramatically over priced. It would cost more for him to have a check up than Charlie himself costed.

If absolutely necessary I will gladly spend the money but I think I'll monitor him for a while longer before resorting to that.