• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my 2 beardies

kris whitt

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hi i have 2 beardies had them 4 christmas now i know we will end up seperating them but we are keeping a close eye on there behavior what does it mean if they are baskin and what we think is the male is sittin with his mouth wide open puffin his little beard out???????

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
baskin helps beardies digest and regulate their temps, does the beardie sit there with mouth wide open for a bit then close for a bit and open again if so it could be a bit hot for them as they open their mouths to cool down same as a dog does when panting if this makes sense as for the smell if it is that bad please see a vet have them check a stool sample how old are they you got any pics what substrate you got them on

kris whitt

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yeah they do open and close there mouths i thought it might be too hot for them but they are cooler than what other people on here have said is the proper temp so i dont know what to do any suggestions?? also i think the smell is just there poop gettin hot but it is slightly sloppy is this normal?? and also the beard of 1 of them keeps turning black we avnt give them any citrus fruits or anythin which is what some ppl ave said causes this any idea why this is happening any suggestions or advice would be great thanks :)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can you go over your setup a bit?

1. What substrate are you using?
2. What are your temps?
3. What are you using to measure your temps?
4. What UV light do you have?

Smelly runny poop can be a sign of parasites. You may want to consider having a fecal test done.

Puffing of beard can indicate aggression from the dominant bearded dragon. Many have witnessed babies attacking the other. When do you plan to separate them?

kris whitt

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
we have a 60w reflector baskin lamp and a 15w repti glow uvb light temp are about 95/100 in the heat and bout 75 in the cool we use exo terra thermometers to measure the temp and they hace calci dust and arkvits with there food also my dragons skin is going really dark we are going split them as soon as needs be really

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Splitting them is probably the best thing you can do for them.

The UV light you have is not giving off enough UV rays. Bearded dragons need a high amount of UV rays. That is another reason for dark skin - trying to soak up as much as they can. Try the ReptiSun 10.0 tube. It is the best UV light on the market today.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
im with renee on the uv tube i wouldnt use anything less, how old are your beardies? i know you had them for xmas but my first was over a year old so you have to ask

kris whitt

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
they are about four months old it s a repti glow 10.0 bulb that is in there they are looking better now i have stopped feeding them crickets every day and just give them as a treat once a week and just give them veg daily and pallets there poop is now lookin better and they have both started shedding skin and are back to there old happy selves again.

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
IMO you still need to change the lighting. Reptiglo bulbs aren't strong enough for beardies and do not give off enough UVB for one beardie much less 2. Crickets or some type of worm(horn worms,super worms,when the beardies get older,etc.....)should be given daily because babies need the protein to grow properly.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep, the ReptiGlo 10.0 has been known to cause eye issues in bearded dragons. The ReptiSun 10.0 is the best on the market.

Agreed. Beardies under 1 year of age should be offered proteins (bugs) 2-3 times per day and salad daily. Babies can eat between 25 and 100 crickets daily. They have a lot of growing to do.

Also, the crickets should be no larger than the space between their eyes. That goes for all food. Nothing should be larger than the space between their eyes.