• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Muscular Dystrophy in Bearded Dragons

Itio

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a bearded dragon that was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy. She is about five months old right now. Where I adopted her said she came in normal and within a week started showing signs of something that looked like genetic calcium deficiency (walking on wrists/ankles). They took her to the vet and when calcium and higher UVB outputs did not work, brought her back. They did labwork and determined Muscular Dystrophy.

At the moment, her back legs lock up often and she runs on his ankles and wrists. She was prescribed hydrotheraphy as well as encouragement to have her chase all of her meat protein (no mealworm bowls here or tongue feeding here!). She is supplemented with syringe treats such as reptiboost and grub pie mixed with fruit baby food.

So far, she is just a little behind schedule on weight and length, but no one seems all that worried about it because she has a healthy appetite and is very active.

Does anyone else have a bearded dragon or other reptile with MD? There is so little research on Muscular dystrophy in bearded dragons at the moment (I think I have only found one article and it was a qualitative study as opposed to an experimental treatment article). I want to give my vet as much information from first hand experiences so we can help her the best we can.

Btw here she is, her name is Salazzle. This was from today's adventure outside.
20190718_134520.jpg

HiILikeLizards

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I also have a beardie with MD!

His name is Max and he is about a year and a half old. He was three weeks old when I got him and seemed completely normal. Over the next couple months, I noticed that he had a lot more trouble walking on the tile of his cage. After changing it to reptile carpet, nothing changed. He has had calcium and UV since we got him, so MBD is not a possibility.

He is a red bearded dragon and his colors have changed from a tan to beautiful shades of red and yellow. I believe that he was a result of careless breeding purely for profit and his looks. After he's sold, it isn't the seller's fault.

His muscles have been deteriorating noticably over time. He relies on blueberries to go to the bathroom (they're a natural laxative.) He absolutely hates the bath and will not participate in swimming lessons with me.

At this point, I've accepted that Max is weak and that'll never change. I know I don't have a lot longer wit
IMG_20211004_182401.jpg
IMG_20211004_182401.jpgh him, but I try to make his days good. Blueberries a couple times a week, window open when it's sunny, and frequent cuddle times.

IMG_20211004_182401.jpg

Itio

Bearded Dragon Egg
I love your boy max. He's really pretty!

I have learned a lot since I posted this thread initially.

I agree with the poor breeding practices. I work for a chain pet store and I have seen four more MD dragons since I took Salazzle home, we actually have one right now. These breeders aren't checking for genetic disease or holding back clutches of new breeders to see if anything pops up. They're just throw two beardies together, hatching the eggs, and putting them in a box to ship. At this point I doubt they even check for ADV anymore.

I started giving Salazzle Serrapeptase as a supplement and it seems to work wonders for her. Its a completely natural substance, so not bad side effects. I definitely recommend it. I got hers banana flavored and she goes nuts for it.

There hasn't been much more progression with my girl other than her wrists are permanently bent so she walks on her wrists. Nothing really to do about that.

She had a brother that we recently had to make the decision to put to sleep because he had no quality of life anymore. He was syringe fed several times a day and couldn't move, eat, or drink on his own.

This condition is rough, but Salazzle acts like there is nothing wrong with her. She is very compact and small, but I feel like that is a good thing since it means less she has to throw around to move.

20211005_104550.jpg