• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mouth Rot or dehydration ?

NuggettsMaMa

Bearded Dragon Egg
2D69D34B-D261-45D7-AFA5-D32E22265F2D.jpeg
F32C99F2-5A93-4136-96D1-660EA6125E33.jpeg
16D1E072-493D-4470-93A3-9DCF7493AFAD.jpeg
FFA2CEE5-6F71-4016-9FB3-0A91A4A70D8E.jpeg
197C8746-7A9C-424B-B6EA-B16908781347.jpeg
I’ve had Nugget since Nov 28 2019. He is around 4 years old and I am his 3rd (and final❤️) mama. He came from some rough conditions (minimal food, heat & UVB in a tank too small). It took us close to 2 months to get his heat perfect in a new 40 gallon breeder, but he was showing great improvement within the first month & began his shedding process - according to His last owner this is his first shed in over a year.

The process started on his head and back, he shed his eyes , head , back and belly since starting. He’s still working on his tail & his lips have been pretty consistently cracked looking - which I assumed was shed.

last week I finally had my radiator fixed and so my house is way warmer now, so I was able to remove some of the excessive insulation I had to use on his tank. This was great ! But then the humidity in my place dropped, I mostly only noticed because it is effecting my pacman frog. Humidity on Nuggets basking side is around 26% . Cool side stays between 30-35. Temps 98 on basking.

last week I noticed nuggets lips to seem extra crusty. Yesterday it seemed pretty inflamed on one side. Inside of his mouth seems unremarkable from what I can tell. He’s continuing to lighten up on his beard and face so he’s still shedding that portion of his body.

his appetite seems to be down, he still picks at his salad but doesn’t eat nearly as much as he used to. His appetite for bugs is unchanged.

does this look like mouth rot ? Or a case of dehydration mid shed .... or both ?

luckily all this happened just in time for the local exotic vet to be in town so I have an apt Tomorrow. I’m just looking for some extra tips / info to bring into the vet as I’ve heard mixed reviews on his beardy knowledge.

NuggettsMaMa

Bearded Dragon Egg
I meant exotic vet not exotic show ! He’s going to the vet tomorrow who is classified as exotic but specializes more in big game / horses. There’s not any others in my area at all . This vet has experience with beardies , but from asking around has given wrong information before - stating dragons can absorb water through there vent & suggesting red bulbs. Because of this I’m a little wary of what info he may give me

NuggettsMaMa

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m in Canada so that website doesn’t work for me, only U.S vets from what I can tell ! But thanks so much I’ll go to that forum now

NuggettsMaMa

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry did you try the website I gave you-- I need you to go here and post your pics before you take him to that vet--- www.beardeddragon.org- there is a vet moderator on there that can help--- post pics and all your info there-- I will flag your post so she sees it
I just made an account & poated though I’m having a hard time adding pictures

mflavin79

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would be more concerned about how his eye looks!!!! Vet ASAP!!!!!

View attachment 21469 View attachment 21470 View attachment 21471 View attachment 21472 View attachment 21473 I’ve had Nugget since Nov 28 2019. He is around 4 years old and I am his 3rd (and final❤️) mama. He came from some rough conditions (minimal food, heat & UVB in a tank too small). It took us close to 2 months to get his heat perfect in a new 40 gallon breeder, but he was showing great improvement within the first month & began his shedding process - according to His last owner this is his first shed in over a year.

The process started on his head and back, he shed his eyes , head , back and belly since starting. He’s still working on his tail & his lips have been pretty consistently cracked looking - which I assumed was shed.

last week I finally had my radiator fixed and so my house is way warmer now, so I was able to remove some of the excessive insulation I had to use on his tank. This was great ! But then the humidity in my place dropped, I mostly only noticed because it is effecting my pacman frog. Humidity on Nuggets basking side is around 26% . Cool side stays between 30-35. Temps 98 on basking.

last week I noticed nuggets lips to seem extra crusty. Yesterday it seemed pretty inflamed on one side. Inside of his mouth seems unremarkable from what I can tell. He’s continuing to lighten up on his beard and face so he’s still shedding that portion of his body.

his appetite seems to be down, he still picks at his salad but doesn’t eat nearly as much as he used to. His appetite for bugs is unchanged.

does this look like mouth rot ? Or a case of dehydration mid shed .... or both ?

luckily all this happened just in time for the local exotic vet to be in town so I have an apt Tomorrow. I’m just looking for some extra tips / info to bring into the vet as I’ve heard mixed reviews on his beardy knowledge.