• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mercury Vapor Bulb

BriDrapes

Bearded Dragon Egg
With so much contradictory information out there, is it ok to mount a mercury vapor bulb on top of the mesh cover as opposed to inside the tank? Do I also need a uvb in addition to this? I know that MV bulb provides heat and uvb. Tank will be 48×24×24. I'm aware this has probably been asked many times in this forum. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Really not sure about this. I don’t like the MVB bulbs just for the fact that I like my UVB to be spread out along the tank rather than be just in one spot. Hopefully someone else with experience can chime in.

BriDrapes

Bearded Dragon Egg
Really not sure about this. I don’t like the MVB bulbs just for the fact that I like my UVB to be spread out along the tank rather than be just in one spot. Hopefully someone else with experience can chime in.
Yeah, hopefully. I would likely do the MVB and the tube UVB. Just not sure if that would be overkill. Thanks for the reply.

BriDrapes

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah, hopefully. I would likely do the MVB and the tube UVB. Just not sure if that would be overkill. Thanks for the reply.

OK, so I guess no one is out there. Any thoughts on using the tube uvb and the mvb? I feel like my tube may be a bit too high in the tank (resting on top of the mesh), so maybe use both? Someone chime in please...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I personally have not used a MVB along with a tube style UVB, I don't believe that it would be overkill

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
While I have never use an MVB for my dragons I am familiar with them. I was looking online to see how other people use them in their setups and it is rare that they are used on their own (even though you can in theory). As they produce UVA and B, it is pointless to add another UV tube, they are more commonly used with an extra basking lamp (or 2). It should be fine on top of the screen, light penetration over 2ft is not a problem.

BriDrapes

Bearded Dragon Egg
While I have never use an MVB for my dragons I am familiar with them. I was looking online to see how other people use them in their setups and it is rare that they are used on their own (even though you can in theory). As they produce UVA and B, it is pointless to add another UV tube, they are more commonly used with an extra basking lamp (or 2). It should be fine on top of the screen, light penetration over 2ft is not a problem.
OK thanks everyone. I guess my concern was more with the tube uvb being too far away so I was thinking of the mvb at the same time to provide enough uvb. I'm assuming that the mvb will be fine on top of the tank. Do we think the tube would be as well?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Tubes can be used either way, they are more efficient mounted on the inside, but powerful enough that it shouldnt make too much difference mounted externally

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
I actually switched a couple months ago from a tube UVB to the MVB. I got tired of the heat bulbs blowing out all the time and had read the MVB last much longer than heat bulbs and produce uvb longer than the tube bulbs. I do still have to have a 50 watt heat bulb going to keep it hot enough in the tank - it's a 40 breeder with a mesh top, so it doesn't hold heat very effectively.

It's only been a couple months but I have not noticed any difference in my beardies behavior, feeding, etc. thus far.

BriDrapes

Bearded Dragon Egg
I actually switched a couple months ago from a tube UVB to the MVB. I got tired of the heat bulbs blowing out all the time and had read the MVB last much longer than heat bulbs and produce uvb longer than the tube bulbs. I do still have to have a 50 watt heat bulb going to keep it hot enough in the tank - it's a 40 breeder with a mesh top, so it doesn't hold heat very effectively.

It's only been a couple months but I have not noticed any difference in my beardies behavior, feeding, etc. thus far.
Thank you KrissyLeigh...

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you KrissyLeigh...

UPDATE - my MVB bulb just blew out after 2 months of use. The whole reason I got it was to save money and waste less bulbs because they are supposed to last longer than heat bulbs and eliminate the need for a separate uvb... But nope, a freaking $60 MVB bulb barely lasted 2 months. So I will be switching back to heat bulbs with a tube style uvb. At least when the heat bulbs blow they are cheap to replace.

BriDrapes

Bearded Dragon Egg
UPDATE - my MVB bulb just blew out after 2 months of use. The whole reason I got it was to save money and waste less bulbs because they are supposed to last longer than heat bulbs and eliminate the need for a separate uvb... But nope, a freaking $60 MVB bulb barely lasted 2 months. So I will be switching back to heat bulbs with a tube style uvb. At least when the heat bulbs blow they are cheap to replace.
That sucks. I wonder if there's any type of warrantee or anything? Doubtful. The more I think about it, I'm going to have a 48" enclosure so the heat bulb with a tube UVB is probably the best route to take.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
That sucks. I wonder if there's any type of warrantee or anything? Doubtful. The more I think about it, I'm going to have a 48" enclosure so the heat bulb with a tube UVB is probably the best route to take.

Yeah, after my experiment that's what I would suggest. The basking bulbs are hit or miss, I've had some almost a year but that's not common. And I've tried 3 types of fixtures, multiple bulb brands, nothing has made a difference. But I have never had a tube UVB blow on me and those are the expensive ones, so $$$ wise you are better off with the separate lights since those MVB are so expensive. :)

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks Krissy, that info is kind of invaluable, as they say, you never know until you try. At first I thought that you had just been unlucky, as any bulb has the potential to blow before its lifespan has been reached. It could be a manufacturing fault, a power surge or overheating that causes a bulb to blow and quality can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. However, when I looked into it it turns out that the 'average' lifespan of an MVB is only 3-6 months. This shocked me somewhat, when you consider a single MVB costs more than a heat lamp and UV tube combined.
So, it turns out that if you want value for money verses lifespan a T5 tube is the way to go. Also ,go for a reputable manufacturer as you are more likely to get a quality product, dont be tempted by cheap bulbs. Arcadia make the best tubes IMO, their T5s last for up to a year

magpie

Hatchling Dragon
I think that a heat bulb and tube UVB is the way to go for sure over MVB.

Not only are the MVBs ridiculously expensive, but if you use one the dragon can't get UVB unless it's basking. I know you mentioned using a tube AND MVB, but then why have the MVB at all in that case?

BriDrapes

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think that a heat bulb and tube UVB is the way to go for sure over MVB.

Not only are the MVBs ridiculously expensive, but if you use one the dragon can't get UVB unless it's basking. I know you mentioned using a tube AND MVB, but then why have the MVB at all in that case?
My thinking was that the MVB would last longer, so maybe in the long run a better value. I'm new to this, but I'm definitely going for the heat bulb/tube uvb option. Probably getting an Animal Plastics viv soon. Thanks everyone!

BriDrapes

Bearded Dragon Egg
My thinking was that the MVB would last longer, so maybe in the long run a better value. I'm new to this, but I'm definitely going for the heat bulb/tube uvb option. Probably getting an Animal Plastics viv soon. Thanks everyone!

Also, per my previous post magpie:

"Any thoughts on using the tube uvb and the mvb? I feel like my tube may be a bit too high in the tank (resting on top of the mesh), so maybe use both?"

alicesfalling

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I got my bearded dragon as a newbie about two and a half months ago and she is about 3 months old now. The first and only light she has had is the MVB because that's what was suggested to us when we were buying her tank and accessories. It is the only light she has. So far the Mercury Bulb Has been wonderful although it does heat mostly the spot that it shines on up to 10 to 15 in. My beardie has a stick that inclines her towards the top of the tank so she is about 8 to 9 inches away from the bulb. The bulb is mounted on the side of the tank so it is about 2 to 3 in above the top of the tank. When I was gathering information about my bulb the advice that was given to me was that it provides all the heat and UVB that she needs as well as D3 so it was suggested that I get calcium and vitamins without D3 because the Mercury bulb already supplies it and if she gets too much D3 it can make her sick. I can easily keep the basking spot at the right temperature, between 100-110, the cool side stays between 75 and 80 degrees but I can easily raise the temperature by putting a blanket on top of the tank on that side or I have a plant seedling heat mat that I use on occasion, it puts off very little heat but when I put it on top it raises the temperature at least 5 degrees. She has a 20 gallon tank, we are planning to switch to a 40-gallon soon so I'm not sure if the light would affect a 40 gallon tank differently. But she has plenty of energy and she generally eats her greens and her crickets happily and doesn't seem to have any trouble digesting. And I often find her in her spot with her mouth open just enjoying the Heat. That's all I know. I hope some of that helps you. Good luck in your bulb choosing!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BriDrapes

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got my bearded dragon as a newbie about two and a half months ago and she is about 3 months old now. The first and only light she has had is the MVB because that's what was suggested to us when we were buying her tank and accessories. It is the only light she has. So far the Mercury Bulb Has been wonderful although it does heat mostly the spot that it shines on up to 10 to 15 in. My beardie has a stick that inclines her towards the top of the tank so she is about 8 to 9 inches away from the bulb. The bulb is mounted on the side of the tank so it is about 2 to 3 in above the top of the tank. When I was gathering information about my bulb the advice that was given to me was that it provides all the heat and UVB that she needs as well as D3 so it was suggested that I get calcium and vitamins without D3 because the Mercury bulb already supplies it and if she gets too much D3 it can make her sick. I can easily keep the basking spot at the right temperature, between 100-110, the cool side stays between 75 and 80 degrees but I can easily raise the temperature by putting a blanket on top of the tank on that side or I have a plant seedling heat mat that I use on occasion, it puts off very little heat but when I put it on top it raises the temperature at least 5 degrees. She has a 20 gallon tank, we are planning to switch to a 40-gallon soon so I'm not sure if the light would affect a 40 gallon tank differently. But she has plenty of energy and she generally eats her greens and her crickets happily and doesn't seem to have any trouble digesting. And I often find her in her spot with her mouth open just enjoying the Heat. That's all I know. I hope some of that helps you. Good luck in your bulb choosing!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Awesome. Thank you alicesfalling!!