• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Meet Rex!

JakePicci

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everybody,

My name is Jake and I am 25 living in Mt Joy, Pennsylvania with my beardie Rex. Rex is a leatherback beardie who is approximately 9-10 months old. I have had him for 7 months now and he has become my best buddy in the world! Rex is my first bearded dragon and actually the first reptile I've ever owned as well. I've attached pics of him for everybody to see.

Like all of you I'm sure, I think my beardie is just the cutest little guy in the whole world. Some of Rex's favorite things to do include:
  • Exploring around my apartment, and exploring outside when it's warm enough out
  • Climbing up on my shoulders and head (don't worry, I lay down and stay low so he can't fall)
  • Swimming around in the bathtub
  • Watching TV and video games
  • Eating silkworms!!
  • Cuddling up at night and tucking his head under my chin to fall asleep
  • He LOVES going on the window sill and just staring at the outside world. He could do this for hours if I let him

The main reason that I've joined this forum is because I am really struggling to get Rex to eat anything other than worms. I have looked up different ways to get him to eat his greens and vegetables/fruits, but have not had much luck. Rex has been putting on some weight and I know as he gets older and becomes an adult, he is going to need to move to a more plant based diet (at least from what I've read). I have a calcium supplement and a vitamin supplement that I mix with the worms so he is at least getting some of those nutrients. I will start another thread about this as I'm sure that discussion isn't meant to be in the Introductions section.

I can't wait to meet everybody else on here and meet your beardies!
-Jake

Attachments

• C93AB3FF-F074-477B-AC82-BF56CC94A908.JPG
    C93AB3FF-F074-477B-AC82-BF56CC94A908.JPG
    432 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1657.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1753.JPG
    IMG_1753.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1989.JPG
    IMG_1989.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 24

JakePicci

Bearded Dragon Egg
He is adorable ---- first of all please ditch the red light --- they can cause long term eye damage and keep them awake at nite --- dragons sleep in the dark like you and I and like it cool for temps- it lets their metabolism slow down for a better nites sleep---- nite time temp should not be below 65 at nite ---next if you didnt start off w/ greens right away when he was a baby when you start to feed now he may not eat them at all ---- I have a almost 2 year old and got him at 3 months and didnt feed him greens first and now he will not touch them --- so w/ my 6 month old now I got him at 7 weeks and started feeding him greens right away -- first thing in the morning he is now eating them --- I can try and help you w/ getting him to eat them --- you need a glass bowl something worms cannot get out of --- fix his salad mustard collard or turnip greens or all 3 mixed you choose he will let you know eventually and hopefully what he likes best - add some squash any kind to his bowl and then add some BSFL on top along w/ 3 super worms no more --- BSFL can be ordered from here
https://symtonbsf.com/--they are a great staple feeder -- and do not need to be dusted --- the movement will get him to the bowl -- make sure he sees you add these to his bowl -- you can feed as many BSFL that you want as they are a good staple feeder -- when you order please order large --- I am posting a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Next he needs a staple feeder like crickets or dubia roaches -- they need to be dusted w/ the calcium D3 and vitamins -- calcium 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week ---
Now the most crucial thing of all ---- what are you using for UVB-- coil or a tube and what brand and bulb please????? What are his basking temps and how are you taking them? digital probe? infrared heat gun ? or stick ons?

Hi there,

Thanks so much for the info. I actually did not know about the red light causing eye damage and will ditch it immediately. The funny thing is that I actually don't even keep it on at night and only have it on during the day as I realized early on he preferred to sleep without it, and it would keep the tank way too hot at night. The temp in his tank at night is approximately 68 or 69 degrees.

When I first got him, I made the mistake of feeding him too many crickets and worms. He was eating greens, veggies and fruits initially but once he tried his "meats", he started to reject the other stuff. I really appreciate your advice and will try the things you suggested!

As for UVB, I am using a ReptiSun tube. I do not remember the exact bulb as I actually switched from a coil to tube for the first time about two months ago, and no longer have the packaging. I have read that the tube is better as it distributes the UVB evenly throughout the tank and helps prevent metabolic bone disease. His basking temp is usually between 105 to 110. I use the ZooMed Reptitemp thermostat to take temperature readings and control the temp.

Thanks again for the info, and any other tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Even though I've had Rex for 7 months now, I'm still pretty new to beardies in the grand scheme of things...But I love him so much and want to make sure he's getting the best care and living the best life he possibly can! :)

JakePicci

Bearded Dragon Egg
Look on the bulb it will say T 8 or T 5 and let me know distance plays a role as to where its at in the tank or on top or ?
I just checked, it is a T5 and it sits at the top of the tank. The tank is 18" tall so the bulb is 18" above the substrate in his tank.