• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mass inside 3 year old beardie’s mouth

RenJolly

Bearded Dragon Egg
So our 3 year old (M) beardie, Dart, started bleeding from his mouth about a year and a half ago. We looked inside his mouth and saw a tiny lump, and it had ruptured a bit with clear pus and blood. We took him to the vet, and they recommended surgery because it looked like maybe a cyst. We paid almost $1,000 for the surgery and the vet said they got everything from his mouth, so we opted to not pay hundreds of dollars to have the mass tested.

Then, 6 months later, it grew again. This time, we paid $350 for an aspiration (they take a needle and get the fluid from the inside and try to see what it is), but they still couldn’t tell us what it was.

Then, we paid another $1,000 for another surgery and they told us that it was wrapped around his bottom jaw bone and veins etc, so they didn’t get the entire mass. We then spent $400 to send it to pathology for testing at a 3rd party lab. Those results came back inconclusive. (Beyond frustrating)

It’s now 1 year later and we noticed the mass growing back about 6 months ago, but really can’t afford another surgery. It’s gotten almost triple the size and today he was eating his greens and it ruptured again, this time with dark red blood. We are heartbroken and worried he might die, but aren’t really sure what to do. Should we find a new vet and get a second opinion? Or maybe someone on here has seen this before? Just looking for advice.

The second picture you can see pink on the top that leads into an almost black. The whole mass is about a half inch long.
***specs about dart:
>Greens every day; he loves cilantro the best but will settle for kale or collard greens.
>10-15 Dubia roaches once a week; meal worms once a month as a special treat.
>UV bulb replaced every 6 months, temp and humidity are in the normal range and checked on a biweekly time frame.
>he has always been incredibly lazy and not super active, but he always comes down for food and water/changes basking spots frequently throughout the day. This hasn’t changed his entire life.
5F6DA788-4825-45F7-B711-ACA109DD56FA.jpeg
4F82EC4B-4501-43F6-9166-1265BE3294AF.jpeg

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
If you're okay with spending some more money, you could take him to a different vet to get a second opinion. It's possibly a tumor or abscess, but you'd need to get it tested to know for sure.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So our 3 year old (M) beardie, Dart, started bleeding from his mouth about a year and a half ago. We looked inside his mouth and saw a tiny lump, and it had ruptured a bit with clear pus and blood. We took him to the vet, and they recommended surgery because it looked like maybe a cyst. We paid almost $1,000 for the surgery and the vet said they got everything from his mouth, so we opted to not pay hundreds of dollars to have the mass tested.

Then, 6 months later, it grew again. This time, we paid $350 for an aspiration (they take a needle and get the fluid from the inside and try to see what it is), but they still couldn’t tell us what it was.

Then, we paid another $1,000 for another surgery and they told us that it was wrapped around his bottom jaw bone and veins etc, so they didn’t get the entire mass. We then spent $400 to send it to pathology for testing at a 3rd party lab. Those results came back inconclusive. (Beyond frustrating)

It’s now 1 year later and we noticed the mass growing back about 6 months ago, but really can’t afford another surgery. It’s gotten almost triple the size and today he was eating his greens and it ruptured again, this time with dark red blood. We are heartbroken and worried he might die, but aren’t really sure what to do. Should we find a new vet and get a second opinion? Or maybe someone on here has seen this before? Just looking for advice.

The second picture you can see pink on the top that leads into an almost black. The whole mass is about a half inch long.
***specs about dart:
>Greens every day; he loves cilantro the best but will settle for kale or collard greens.
>10-15 Dubia roaches once a week; meal worms once a month as a special treat.
>UV bulb replaced every 6 months, temp and humidity are in the normal range and checked on a biweekly time frame.
>he has always been incredibly lazy and not super active, but he always comes down for food and water/changes basking spots frequently throughout the day. This hasn’t changed his entire life.
View attachment 25263View attachment 25264

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Just looking at his tank he has NO UVB or improper UVB; this will cause mass health problems and death. U need a “CLEAR zoomed” heat lamp that’s the best one that releases good heat; never ever use coiled or colored bulbs & a UVB light; the Reptisun 10.0 T5 the length u order should cover 70 percent of the tank.. He needs a hideaway also to get away form the UVb as needed preferably under his hammock I place a soft towel on top and a soft fleece blanket underneath the hammock so he can have a hideaway when needed and be comfy. But proper UVB asap and a vet. Also he looks super duper underweight. Remove any sand substrate ASAp and use white terry cloths; they ingest the sand & it impacts them and NO pellets or mealworms that impacts them & is horrible for them. Feed crickets and Dubia roaches maybe 15 per day if he’s over a year old and a fresh plate twice a day of greens and veggies: the best everyday ones are: mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, endives, yellow squash, butternut squash, green beans and snap peas. 2-3 of each everyday a huge plate place on the cold side. Fruits as treats 1-2 times per week blueberries, mangoes and papayas. Spray him a few times a day with filtered water has to be dechlorinated and baths twice a week in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min minimum. U can buy Reptisafe of yoru water is not filtered. GLuck

RenJolly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! He has a UVB light that covers 75% of his tank on the left, and a UV/Basking lamp that covers 25% of his tank. He has a sealed tile flooring and a real solid wood basking log, as well as a large hollow rock on his cool side that he can crawl into to escape the UV. Vet says his weight is fine for each checkup so I’m not sure...we used to feed him roaches 2-3 times a week but our vet said it wasn’t necessary for an adult and that he could eat insects once a week and fresh greens and veggies daily. He gets baths 2-3 times a week and we use the reptisafe water dechlorinator. I’m thinking it may be time to find a new vet... seems like they may not quite know what’s best for our little guy.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! He has a UVB light that covers 75% of his tank on the left, and a UV/Basking lamp that covers 25% of his tank. He has a sealed tile flooring and a real solid wood basking log, as well as a large hollow rock on his cool side that he can crawl into to escape the UV. Vet says his weight is fine for each checkup so I’m not sure...we used to feed him roaches 2-3 times a week but our vet said it wasn’t necessary for an adult and that he could eat insects once a week and fresh greens and veggies daily. He gets baths 2-3 times a week and we use the reptisafe water dechlorinator. I’m thinking it may be time to find a new vet... seems like they may not quite know what’s best for our little guy.
I recommend you get a new vet www.arav.org this site will help find a reptile vet
I would keep feeding the roaches 2-3 times per week they still need the protein --

RenJolly

Bearded Dragon Egg
I recommend you get a new vet www.arav.org this site will help find a reptile vet
I would keep feeding the roaches 2-3 times per week they still need the protein --
Thank you! We have looked on there and have scheduled an appointment for Dart with a new vet! I always felt like the vet we were seeing didn’t quite know much about bearded dragons but the closest one to us outside of them was over an hour away. Looks like we will start making that drive!

RenJolly

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just looked at the brand of the basking lamp and it’s an exo terra daytime UVA bulb. And we replace it every 6 months. Is there a different brand that you recommend?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just looked at the brand of the basking lamp and it’s an exo terra daytime UVA bulb. And we replace it every 6 months. Is there a different brand that you recommend?
Its fine as long as its a bright white bulb and keeps temps to what they need to be ---- its the UVB that we are very picky about --- and your basking bulb does not need to be changed out every 6 months - they will usually last till they burn out or if they are not keeping temps to what they need to be -- its good to spot check your temps every so often w/ either a probe or a IR gun or both --- UVB's lose their effectiveness and T 8's need to be changed out every 6 months its good to change them out a month prior to and T 5 's once a year but the same a month prior to --

RenJolly

Bearded Dragon Egg
It’s more yellow than white, but the picture makes it look SUPER yellow because we have decals on the back and sides that look like yellow sand. Is a slight yellow hue okay?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s more yellow than white, but the picture makes it look SUPER yellow because we have decals on the back and sides that look like yellow sand. Is a slight yellow hue okay?
You want a bright white no off white or yellowish - I use the exo terra intense basking 150 watt - temps are trial and error w/.wattage