• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male bearded dragon swollen back leg

Stephen Smith

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all, my male beardie has a swollen back leg (photos to follow soon). He can walk okay on his leg, as evidenced when he jumps out of my hands and back into his vivarium and then proceeded to climb on a log in a flash! But when I touch his leg it is harder than the other back leg, and he winced when I gave it a gentle squeeze. He has had bad pores before and it took about a week to clear them out, but it never made his leg swell up. It is worth mentioning that he is a rescue dragon so age is unclear, but apparently 3 years old.
I was hoping someone on here would know what it could be and advise me on what to do. It's clearly not broken if he is walking, jumping and climbing on it, but I dont think its MBD as I have it set up in his tank absolutely fine! Maybe an infection? Can the femoral pores cause this to happen? Thanks in advance for your replies!

His enclosure: 4ft L x 2ft D x 3ft H. Uvb included (12% arcadia (I think) fluorescent tube), basking temp of about 40deg, with ambient temps of 36deg down to around 28deg. Night time temps of around 25deg. Substrate is a mix of soil and play sand. Lots to climb and hide under. Eats mainly locusts but will accept the occasional bit of carrot and cabbage. He has calcium and vitamins twice a week (heavily coated locusts). If there is any other information you need just ask.

Stephen Smith

Bearded Dragon Egg
It could be a pore plugged but I am no expert - have you been soaking him in a warm bath to see if it will unplug if that is what it is? You can take this question and some pics to this website and ask this forum -- they will be better able to help you make sure you post pics tho so they can see what is going on --
www.beardeddragon.org--- this forum has a lot of experienced people plus a vet moderator that can help you as well --- I would start feeding more greens and no cabbage --- here is a website for you for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html--- it will tell you what to feed what not to feed and how often ---
Hi, thanks for your reply. I will take it over to that website thank you. I have tried to get him to eat butternut squash, asparagus and a whole multitude of other things but those are the only things he goes for, even though it isnt alot. I do still offer other veggies every day. Any tips how to get him to eat more greens? I have already tried putting worms on the salad but he picks them out -.- and not recently I have tried soaking him but I will do it right now. Thanks again, I really do appreciate the reply. I'm so worried about this little guy, I have already lost one female bearded dragon this year due to over grown egg follicles. I dont want to go through that again

Stephen Smith

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi thanks I dont mind spending the money on my reptiles, they are worth every penny! So I'll buy that stuff too! :) no they didnt break inside her, we got her to the vets and she had an operation but she never woke up. Very sad :/ thanks for replying again, I'll give everything a try! :)