• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lowering humidity and questions about humdity.

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I've been trying to search for an answer and I know a beardies tank humidity level should be around 30-40% range. My beardie jesse's tank fluctuates from around 34-40, but the thing is that's only in the basking spot. The humidity below the basking spot shows 50-60 range and on the cool side its like that too. Should her tank's humidity be in that 30-40 range in the entire tank or just her basking spot? and what are some ways to lower humidity, I already use a sock of rice and her water bowl on the cool side far away from her basking spot, along with a mini eva dry dehumidifier. I really want to get that ideal 35% but it always fluctuates. Maybe its because her tank is on the ground? I don't know, I'm just worried that it might be bad if the other parts of her tank except for the basking spot are at 50-60% humidity. She has no health problems, sheds fine, eats whenever I give her food and is on a good bathroom schedule. Just scary because I lost my other beardie Ming to RI a few months ago when I had just moved here to florida, his hygrometer was broken and I never knew his humidity was too high until it was too late.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, I've been trying to search for an answer and I know a beardies tank humidity level should be around 30-40% range. My beardie jesse's tank fluctuates from around 34-40, but the thing is that's only in the basking spot. The humidity below the basking spot shows 50-60 range and on the cool side its like that too. Should her tank's humidity be in that 30-40 range in the entire tank or just her basking spot? and what are some ways to lower humidity, I already use a sock of rice and her water bowl on the cool side far away from her basking spot, along with a mini eva dry dehumidifier. I really want to get that ideal 35% but it always fluctuates. Maybe its because her tank is on the ground? I don't know, I'm just worried that it might be bad if the other parts of her tank except for the basking spot are at 50-60% humidity. She has no health problems, sheds fine, eats whenever I give her food and is on a good bathroom schedule. Just scary because I lost my other beardie Ming to RI a few months ago when I had just moved here to florida, his hygrometer was broken and I never knew his humidity was too high until it was too late.
Please place your hygrometer on the back center of wall --- your humidity levels are at nite the 50-60%? You dont want them over 70% --- you can get a dehumidifier for the room he / she is in and PLEASE get her / him off the floor!! Dragons like to be up so they can see and be social and the floor is not good plus its drafty and cooler -- also how old is the hygrometer --- it could be off but beings your in Florida it may not be --- I was born and raised there -- you can also get a digital probe hygrometer instead of a dial one ---

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please place your hygrometer on the back center of wall --- your humidity levels are at nite the 50-60%? You dont want them over 70% --- you can get a dehumidifier for the room he / she is in and PLEASE get her / him off the floor!! Dragons like to be up so they can see and be social and the floor is not good plus its drafty and cooler -- also how old is the hygrometer --- it could be off but beings your in Florida it may not be --- I was born and raised there -- you can also get a digital probe hygrometer instead of a dial one ---
I have a dehumidifier, and I'll buy a new hygrometer tomorrow. I plan on getting a digital one, just tight on money from Ming's vet visit before his passing. I'll try and find something to get her off the floor but I really don't have anything so I'll have to buy something big enough to have her tank on it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a dehumidifier, and I'll buy a new hygrometer tomorrow. I plan on getting a digital one, just tight on money from Ming's vet visit before his passing. I'll try and find something to get her off the floor but I really don't have anything so I'll have to buy something big enough to have her tank on it.
You can go to used furniture stores or catholic charties places that have donations that they put of for sale - salvation army look for a used dresser or stand ---dressers make great stands you can use the drawers for their supplies -- craigslist or FB marketplace as well

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can go to used furniture stores or catholic charties places that have donations that they put of for sale - salvation army look for a used dresser or stand ---dressers make great stands you can use the drawers for their supplies -- craigslist or FB marketplace as well
I'll have to do it after thanksgiving, which isn't too long away because everything is closed. I moved her hygrometer to the center of the tank and its at 38ish

Attachments

• 20201125_204732.jpg
    20201125_204732.jpg
    939.9 KB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'll have to do it after thanksgiving, which isn't too long away because everything is closed. I moved her hygrometer to the center of the tank and its at 38ish
How high at nite does it get --? look first thing in the morning --- its going to give the humidity for the whole tank under the basking lights its going to be different of course cuz of the heat during the day

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
How high at nite does it get --? look first thing in the morning --- its going to give the humidity for the whole tank under the basking lights its going to be different of course cuz of the heat during the day
In the tank it gets to the 60s I think? mid to high. She doesn't sleep in her tank, she sleeps on my bed in a kennel with her blankets. It's always just been like that, her and Ming would sleep cuddled together every night.

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
In the tank it gets to the 60s I think? mid to high. She doesn't sleep in her tank, she sleeps on my bed in a kennel with her blankets. It's always just been like that, her and Ming would sleep cuddled together every night.
Though I could be wrong so I'll check it but I'm pretty sure it gets into the 60s in my room humidity wise at night. The Dehumidifier is always running btw. It's an Eva dry wireless mini dehumidifier

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so get a reading in the morning since you have moved it --- if its 70% or higher not sure how to get it lowered since you already have a dehumidifier------- take the water bowl out of the tank --- this is raising the humidity

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's out right now because I have to scrub it since she took a dump in it lol
Ok so get a reading in the morning since you have moved it --- if its 70% or higher not sure how to get it lowered since you already have a dehumidifier------- take the water bowl out of the tank --- this is raising the humidity

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just bought my neighbors night table tht he wanted to get rid of because I remembered for 25 bucks, gonna buy her something higher though later.

Attachments

• 20201125_211133.jpg
    20201125_211133.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok leave it out ---
What do you think I could do to lower the humidity more? The Hygrometer is at 48 in the middle of the tank... so obviously either the hygrometer is just faulty since its so old, which I kind of doubt since it measures differently under the basking spot. Do you think I should put the dehumidifier in the tank?

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
What do you think I could do to lower the humidity more? The Hygrometer is at 48 in the middle of the tank... so obviously either the hygrometer is just faulty since its so old, which I kind of doubt since it measures differently under the basking spot. Do you think I should put the dehumidifier in the tank?
I forgot to add "Or what it probably is and I have a humidity problem I need to fix asap"

Smithy

Hatchling Dragon
I have been breeding Pogona Minor Bearded Dragons and also Dwarf Pogona Minor and I have a Barbata. The thing is, it all depends on the animals original environment, in the wild it varies greatly, Dragons in cold climate like it around 68 % in central Australia around 60 and as low as 30%, but as in nature in the outback, it floods seasonally. A good example is I lost Ebony's first two clutches, because she is a Pogona Minor. But Ely is a Barbata or perhaps a hybrid of two species. A sub tropical Dragon from the North Western Australia. It is really humid up there. Another thing I have noted, is that he does not brumate unlike his missus that brumates every winter. My Dragons regularly see the position of the Sun, but still Ely doesn't hibernate, but not sure as he hasn't yet, he's 4yo so I am pretty sure that he never will. Meaning to say for a Bearded Dragons in the natural environment sometimes it is extremely humid, and sometimes it is increasingly dry. Be careful with recommended levels of humidity. But just ensure to spray it down every now and then, so it don't dry out, that will stress your Dragons, as it would appear as drought and they will dehydrate. Kidney disease is a notable problem. I would not be too concerned . But just dampen it down every other day. But the problemI have had with humidity waa when i decided to breed them. The eggs kept collasing at 68%, (recommended online, and by an experienced professional herpetologists.) Works at a reptile Park.. The first surviving two were actually stuck in their shell. The same lady told me to soak the egg and gently prise the shell away, then place her back in the incubator and leave her for one hour, repeat this process etc. 4hrs later I had a pure black Dragons and a silver one. For some reason I cannot upload the pictures. However, then it clicked! I increased the humidity to 88% to 94% and whallah 8 out of eight hatching from her third clutch. And yeah, it all depends on the Dragons I guess. Because Ely is male, maybe his aancestor's laid their eggs in a very humid environment. Perhaps his genes are prominent. Nevertheless, it seems (for my breeding pair) a high humidity is required. But for a Desert Dragons it can make them susceptible to fungi and parasites. Don't quote me on this, but the topic of humidity actually worrying. So really I can't advise you, perhaps research the origin of your specific species of Pogona Dragon.

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have been breeding Pogona Minor Bearded Dragons and also Dwarf Pogona Minor and I have a Barbata. The thing is, it all depends on the animals original environment, in the wild it varies greatly, Dragons in cold climate like it around 68 % in central Australia around 60 and as low as 30%, but as in nature in the outback, it floods seasonally. A good example is I lost Ebony's first two clutches, because she is a Pogona Minor. But Ely is a Barbata or perhaps a hybrid of two species. A sub tropical Dragon from the North Western Australia. It is really humid up there. Another thing I have noted, is that he does not brumate unlike his missus that brumates every winter. My Dragons regularly see the position of the Sun, but still Ely doesn't hibernate, but not sure as he hasn't yet, he's 4yo so I am pretty sure that he never will. Meaning to say for a Bearded Dragons in the natural environment sometimes it is extremely humid, and sometimes it is increasingly dry. Be careful with recommended levels of humidity. But just ensure to spray it down every now and then, so it don't dry out, that will stress your Dragons, as it would appear as drought and they will dehydrate. Kidney disease is a notable problem. I would not be too concerned . But just dampen it down every other day. But the problemI have had with humidity waa when i decided to breed them. The eggs kept collasing at 68%, (recommended online, and by an experienced professional herpetologists.) Works at a reptile Park.. The first surviving two were actually stuck in their shell. The same lady told me to soak the egg and gently prise the shell away, then place her back in the incubator and leave her for one hour, repeat this process etc. 4hrs later I had a pure black Dragons and a silver one. For some reason I cannot upload the pictures. However, then it clicked! I increased the humidity to 88% to 94% and whallah 8 out of eight hatching from her third clutch. And yeah, it all depends on the Dragons I guess. Because Ely is male, maybe his aancestor's laid their eggs in a very humid environment. Perhaps his genes are prominent. Nevertheless, it seems (for my breeding pair) a high humidity is required. But for a Desert Dragons it can make them susceptible to fungi and parasites. Don't quote me on this, but the topic of humidity actually worrying. So really I can't advise you, perhaps research the origin of your specific species of Pogona Dragon.
I was looking at that too because I saw there were different species and you could tell by head shape. Thinking about this now, if my humidity has been like this for months, and I never realized because of the placement, then wouldn't she have had health problems by now, like RI? So like you said she could be one of the species that does better or prefers it higher humidity. Shes never had a problem with dryer 30-40s and now where its higher down here. Also, my beardies are 3 and they have never brumated. Her's and Ming's head shapes were vastly different though I always thought it was just like that. (The last picture being Ming and the first two being Jesse). I'm just worried I'll have a repeat of Ming and lose my last baby.

Attachments

• Twitter_20190530_161531.jpg
    Twitter_20190530_161531.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20201126_162202.jpg
    20201126_162202.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • ming2.jpg
    ming2.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 4

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No 48% is fine --- you dont want it over 70% so if your below that your good

Smithy

Hatchling Dragon
I forgot to ask you, how small / large is your Dragon ? When you said, a repeat of Ming, I'm not sure what you are referring too. Condolences if you list her? Or has s
Don't worry too much about the humidity, as long as it doesn't dry out. An indication is insects start to perish in an enviro tank. Best above 50% for sure, unless she is a desert one. From the picture, she actually looks like one of my males. A dwarf Pogona Minor Minor. That lives in semi arid climate, and prefer a dry climate, but gets 4eally excited when I spray the tank with spring water. Please don't use tap water, as this is toxic to certain animals. Bearded Dragon are susceptible to kidney disease. Most towns add Chlorine and Florida to the water, that could be slightly toxic. Wild Dragons would get mist if their moisture from small animals, vegetation, insects. But would definitely take a long drink if near water. Like after a spring rain or a creek, waterholes etc. So some humidity is required its terrible though to parch your Dragons, so as I say, just give them an occasional spray.
16065523686803313548029600917348.jpg