• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking into getting a bearded dragon. Found a breeder but is this a scam?

BosmerKay

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm new to all of this and still learning. I've never gotten an animal from a breeder before but was looking for one to get a bearded dragon from. I called and he said he doesnt just sell bearded dragons without buying a $500 (basic) to $700+(complete) set up from him. I told him I already have most of what I need and will be getting the rest before even buying my pet but he said he wouldnt sell me one then. Normal or scam?

Wung Wady

Bearded Dragon Egg
Some breeders, usually the best ones and most trustworthy, have their rules are specifically selling because too many people try to purchase them and do not have everything that is needed and they do not assume and will not assume that it will be gotten. So if you send the information some of us will look it up. We just got to beardies, brothers, from custom designers. We did not have to go through all that but they were not cheap dragons as if you bought them from a chain pet store. Just know the chain pet stores have no way of knowing if they are berries or mated with siblings or other related family member dragons which can’t cause further injuries or medical issues just like it does in humans.
So I would not assume that it is a scam. I would just write down the information that they are trying to sell you and then compare the prices if it was purchased separately to see if it’s a deal or not or even if it’s just a little bit more money for their convenience of selling it all together knowing that there beardie will be housed appropriately

Wung Wady

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm new to all of this and still learning. I've never gotten an animal from a breeder before but was looking for one to get a bearded dragon from. I called and he said he doesnt just sell bearded dragons without buying a $500 (basic) to $700+(complete) set up from him. I told him I already have most of what I need and will be getting the rest before even buying my pet but he said he wouldnt sell me one then. Normal or scam?
Ps. Not all breeders are good breeders either so don’t assume that part

BosmerKay

Bearded Dragon Egg
Some breeders, usually the best ones and most trustworthy, have their rules are specifically selling because too many people try to purchase them and do not have everything that is needed and they do not assume and will not assume that it will be gotten. So if you send the information some of us will look it up. We just got to beardies, brothers, from custom designers. We did not have to go through all that but they were not cheap dragons as if you bought them from a chain pet store. Just know the chain pet stores have no way of knowing if they are berries or mated with siblings or other related family member dragons which can’t cause further injuries or medical issues just like it does in humans.
So I would not assume that it is a scam. I would just write down the information that they are trying to sell you and then compare the prices if it was purchased separately to see if it’s a deal or not or even if it’s just a little bit more money for their convenience of selling it all together knowing that there beardie will be housed appropriately
I thought it might be something like that but when I was asking questions about my set up something sounded a little off. Like I told him that my house is COLD in the winter and I was wondering about heating options since I know that my light wont be enough and he said that it would fine with just the light. With the light only it would 75°F max in the tank but he was insistent that I wouldnt need another heating source. I dont know, maybe you're right and I'm just paranoid.

Dragon's Gramma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Go with your gut. I wouldn't want to keep a dragon in too cold temperatures.
So glad you are doing your research! That's awesome ❤️!
My older dragon came from PetSmart. He's the sweetest most calm little guy. I know people say not to buy from there, but I feel like we rescued him.
My new baby came from a breeder. He's beautiful, but he's so skittish & a very stubborn picky eater.
I love them both dearly. My point was that no matter where you get them, anything can happen! They're very individual critters with their own personality! :)

BosmerKay

Bearded Dragon Egg
Go with your gut. I wouldn't want to keep a dragon in too cold temperatures.
So glad you are doing your research! That's awesome ❤!
My older dragon came from PetSmart. He's the sweetest most calm little guy. I know people say not to buy from there, but I feel like we rescued him.
My new baby came from a breeder. He's beautiful, but he's so skittish & a very stubborn picky eater.
I love them both dearly. My point was that no matter where you get them, anything can happen! They're very individual critters with their own personality! :)
Thanks for replying! I managed to find a small mom & pop pet shop that I'm checking out this weekend :) I was going to get one from petsmart but I have children and on the off chance that he/she is unhealthy I didnt want them bonding and they god forbid something bad happen :(