• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

lmbo! got my first hiss and bite today. Did I handle it right?

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay so things have been interesting with my baby lately. hes not as skittish but he is getting more grumpy by the day. Today I got my first hiss and bite. The hiss was meant to scare, but im not sure about the bite yet, he may have been checking to see if I was food? Everyday for the past few days ive been feeding collard greens out of my palm, he climbs on and begins muching for a moment til he realizes where he is then he gets still and less interested in his food, but at least he willing to get into my hand right? So anywho a day or 2 ago he got in my palm and puffed at me, i did not act scared, just lowered my hand for him to get off when he chose too. He usually jumps off, not in a scared manner but more or less to chase his crickets who are running around on the bottom for feeding time. Today I put my hand in while he was resting on his hammock and patted his back, he instantly puffed and hissed, I did not let it phase me, I just kept patting him. He did it a couple of times and I just kept petting til he stopped. Once he stopped I tried again, no puff or hiss, so I set my hand palm open beside him for him to climb on, this time no collards were offered. He tasted then climbed on slowly. He did not act silly or mean. I lowered my hand to the floor of the tank and he was off to chase his crickets (kind of like a daily elevator lol!). When he was off my hand I flipped my hand over so the palm was face down on his floor and just resting in there. I sometimes help guide the crickets toward him so I did that a couple of times, then placed my hand right back where it was. Lol the cricket he was after spazzed and ran into my finger before hopping away, he ran towards the cricket, saw my hand, stopped, starred then ran up and took a nip lol...I did not move, I kept perfectly still, he let go, starred again and then ran under his heat light and flattened out. The bite didnt hurt at all. Did I do everything right? am I on the right track?

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yep awesome if you react in fear and back down when the do that it will encourage the behavior

Eric sachranienkow

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
this happend to me with lily, she always ran away from my hand and always kind've opened her mouth like shes was going to bite, i kept trying to pick her up and eventaully she stopped and i picked her up... and now shes okay and knows if i put her back in, she will get off my hand... now rose... oh my gosh! she doesnt wanna get off!!!

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
lol lizardlover, not sure if it was a "hiss" but it was some kinda little sound coming from that mouth/throat. He hasnt done it since tho! luckily.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
my male has hissed a few times; he was hanging out with one of the kids and they moved very quickly (a bee came too close), scared the poor dragon when the kid jumped up; he hissed like crazy and turned completely black!!
the other times were similiar, somebody moving too quickly near him, but that was the only time he reacted So strongly.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The hissing comes from them taking in air & releasing it for more threatening appearence & behavior.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In Beardie Fun there is a thread about Steve Irwan. It has a video of a dragon puffing up @ Steve. Good 4 a laugh.