• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Live mealworms vs dried mealworms

Coffeeblack

Bearded Dragon Egg
so I wondering are dried mealworms better than live? My beardie is about 9 inches and isn't ready just yet for the medium size super worms. I'm waiting for my job to see if they can get small super worms for me .I feed crickets and Dubia roaches , veggies, and I'm thinking about starting a colony of roaches. But anyways I know mealworms can be bad but I was just wondering. I also know about the hornworms, butter worms, silk worms and so on...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Any dried food is going to be bad. The benefits of live food are it keeps their mind and body active, it has needed protein and it has moisture. Dried food and processed pellets are like eating potato chips, they might taste good but they don't have any nutritional benefit.

Coffeeblack

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for answering my question and what should I feed my little one as worms then I didn't want to order them online and it's just so there's food the tank when I'm not home along with veggies. But if I need to order them online do you know if they sell small super worms and where's a good place to buy I live in Texas

Peaches

Bearded Dragon Egg
As far as I understand, you might not want to feed meal worm, super worms, etc until your dragon reaches 1-2 years. Their digestive track is still developing and it's not good for them. Very hard on their developing systems. I'd stick with crickets. The exo skeleton on meal worms is quite tough for them to digest, dried would be even worse.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks for answering my question and what should I feed my little one as worms then I didn't want to order them online and it's just so there's food the tank when I'm not home along with veggies. But if I need to order them online do you know if they sell small super worms and where's a good place to buy I live in Texas

I use black soldier fly larvae as my daily worms. They are also called phoenix worms, or calciworms. Petco does carry them but they are more expensive than online - I order online from phoenixworm.com and I've never had a bad experience. I also live in Texas and I have not had a problem with shipping or them dying along the way, if that's what you are worried about. They can be fed daily, are pretty cheap if you buy in bulk, and last for weeks. My little one gets 25 each morning mixed in with his veggies for breakfast.