• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Live Feeding Confusion

devioustearex

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello!

I am new to keeping a bearded dragon (or to be keeping) and I am trying to understand how to be able to feed her daily. I understand her diet is to now be 80% greens and 20% protein. I also understand to always add calcium to the veggies and to the bugs (if not already enriched) and twice a week feed a vitamin mix.

I am confused on how often I should give crickets or dubia roaches to a 3 year old beardie. I also and concerned on how to keep the live food each week (or is it a buy daily task?)

Thank you,

devious

devioustearex

Bearded Dragon Egg
Live insects should be fed 2-3 times per week --- dusted w/ calcium D3 unless you have a UVB that is a bulb that has D3 provided --- those are the Arcadia bulbs and very good - if so you can dust w/ out calcium D3 -- vitamins can be provided 2 x per week also dusting on the bugs -- alternate your dusting -
here is a list of websites for insects I recommend dubia roaches they are the healthiest and last longer than crickets -they dont chirp and they dont stink like crickets ---
Get a 10 gallon aquarium or tote and you can order dubias and other worms off of these sites
www.dubiaroaches.com - this place is good and fast they carry horn worms which are a hydrating worm and they grow really fast so order small amounts - butter worms - super worms and meal worms - they all can be addicting so feed sparingly - 1-3 -- your 10 gallon aquarium will hold like 200 roaches at a time feed them dubia food or stuff your dragon eats and carrots for hydration - they like squash ---
www.mulberryfarms.com -- they have good silk worms and they are a good staple feeder as well - if you order alot make sure you order chow to feed them -- they are currently out of silk worms
www.reptilianarts.com-- another good place for silk worms and are currently out
www.abdragons.com they are spendy on shipping have not ordered from them
If you have any more questions please ask

okay thank you! Should I keep veggies in her tank 24/7 or feed her once daily the veggies?
I was also concerned because her owner says she doesn’t like to bask, I assumed this was because something wasn’t right with the lighting. Once I get her tank I will take the temperature, however if a beardie isn’t basking what is most likely the reason? Too hot?

devioustearex

Bearded Dragon Egg
It could be a number of things could be it is too hot but I would need more information on what they are using for lighting ---- if they are using a coil UVB those are NO NO's --- lighting and basking temps are the 2 most important thing in that tank -- that controls their behavior and over all health of the dragon if its not right your gonna have a sick dragon
Vegies should be offered every morning - a fresh salad here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Let me know what you have for lighting -- I need brand and bulb of the UVB is it a coil or tube and if a tube where in the tank is it on top of screen or insid the tank --- also basking temps what are they and how are they being taken -- NO Stick ons they are totally inaccurate for basking temps - you need a digital probe thermometer from petco or petsmart for $5 -- and I would recommend a infrared heat gun from your local home improvement store for $10-12 ---
How old is the dragon ? Is it lethargic or is it brumating? We need to rule all this stuff out to figure why the dragon is not basking

I asked the lady I am getting her from what the bulb is she is using. I plan on going to get her Sunday or Monday. When I get her I will switch her lighting immediately and use a temperature probe and heat gun. She has been eating fine and apparently loves to explore outside the tank so I am going to assume she is not lethargic.