• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lights

Pigmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
New to forum and to beardies. I bought a baby on June 1st. I wasn’t given any info at the time. I had a tree lizard and had bought 20 crickets the day before. That’s important because the store didn’t give any info about feeding. I went home released the tree lizard cleaned the 10 gal. tank and started set up for beardie now Puff, not original but works for 3 yr old. Anyway after reading up on feeding I went back to the store for more crickets they were out for the next 5 days. Small town only one pet store. Petsmart. I was able to get dubias then had to ration bugs. He wouldn’t eat salad for 2 more weeks now he eats it. The bug shortage has now been resolved I order dubias online. So that’s my 1st ??? Is it ok to feed just dubias and not any other type of bug? Ok I tried to search 1st for this info. Lighting!! It’s actually a little confusing. I have turtles so had some lights I’m using. I’m building an enclosure from a solid wood dresser 5’ I know the light needs to be 48”. I thought one bulb did both uva and uvb now I’m not sure. Should I buy a light fixture that holds 2 bulbs then buy one of each type? What bulbs do u recommend??

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, you can feed your bearded dragon just dubia roaches but it's suggested that you give them a more varied diet. So I would suggest sometimes feeding crickets and when he's an adult feeding hornworms and superworms too.

Now lighting can be quite confusing for a beginner. So you're going to want a regular basking light, which I use a 50 watt Exo Terra daytime light bulb but any bulb that creates light and heat will do. You're going to want:
  • Basking Temp = 105° degrees Fahrenheit (41° C)
  • Overall Temp = 90° degrees Fahrenheit (32° C)
  • Cool Side = 70° – 85° degrees Fahrenheit (21° – 29° C)
  • Nighttime = 65° – 70° degrees Fahrenheit (18° – 21° C)

Second you're going to want a UVB light, the best UVB light is a T5 reptisun. You want the bulb to be 3/4 of the enclosure. I would not suggest using a T8 bulb as they are bad for your bearded dragon. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, you can feed your bearded dragon just dubia roaches but it's suggested that you give them a more varied diet. So I would suggest sometimes feeding crickets and when he's an adult feeding hornworms and superworms too.

Now lighting can be quite confusing for a beginner. So you're going to want a regular basking light, which I use a 50 watt Exo Terra daytime light bulb but any bulb that creates light and heat will do. You're going to want:
  • Basking Temp = 105° degrees Fahrenheit (41° C)
  • Overall Temp = 90° degrees Fahrenheit (32° C)
  • Cool Side = 70° – 85° degrees Fahrenheit (21° – 29° C)
  • Nighttime = 65° – 70° degrees Fahrenheit (18° – 21° C)

Second you're going to want a UVB light, the best UVB light is a T5 reptisun. You want the bulb to be 3/4 of the enclosure. I would not suggest using a T8 bulb as they are bad for your bearded dragon. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!
I'm so glad you didn't recommend the T8 bulb. That Julee1971 account kept recommending them. I already thought they weren't the best bulb for your bearded dragon. LOL

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm so glad you didn't recommend the T8 bulb. That Julee1971 account kept recommending them. I already thought they weren't the best bulb for your bearded dragon. LOL
Well actually T8 bulbs are just fine, they just aren't the best. In the post I meant to say the compact bulbs. Compact bulbs are bad for bearded dragons, T5 is the best, and T8 is okay but not the best. Sorry for the confusion, sometimes I get them confused.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Well actually T8 bulbs are just fine, they just aren't the best. In the post I meant to say the compact bulbs. Compact bulbs are bad for bearded dragons, T5 is the best, and T8 is okay but not the best. Sorry for the confusion, sometimes I get them confused.
Ahh, it's fine. I already didn't get them from the speculations I've heard about them.

Pigmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks. I will get the t5. Right now I have to use the bulb instead of the tube because he’s in a 10 gal. tank. What is the ideal distance for the t5? My enclosure is 21” tall I will mount a 48” fixture on the inside

Latest posts