• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Light Setup

madmark33

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, Im a new owner and I have been searching and reading through several posts and taking in all the info. and advice provided here. I would like to confirm that what I suspect I need to do with my current set up is correct.

I currently have a baby (maybe 2-3 mos old?) BD, 20 gal Zilla Tank kit, the lights that came with it are the day & night mini Halogen Bulbs, 50 watt...I assume they are crap and I need to immediately get the Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 and I can mount on top of the tank (wire mesh top) and then possibly I have a ceramic bulb for heat at night if needed?

I ordered a temp gun which will be here tomorrow.

The substrate is the repti-carpet that came in the kit.

So my question at the moment, for the 20 gal tank, is what size T5 do I need to get and what do you guys get to go put it in/mount it with? I've seen some member pics with it sitting at a 45 deg angle...if its too long, is that what should be done? I assume I do not want it going the entire length as there would be no temp. gradient?

Thanks for any advice and please lmk what other info. you need that I have left out.

madmark33

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the reply. Ya, Im already thinking we need a bigger tank, but I assume this one will be good for at least a month or so....maybe. I read that the T5 is stronger and with my smaller tank, it could be a bit much, however, I was thinking I could mount it on top of the mesh for now, reducing some of that "power" and then when I get the bigger tank, mount inside.

I have seen some owner pics with just the UVB light, some with 2 lights, Im guessing a UVB & UVA? and then some with 3 lights...maybe UVB, UVA and then the ceramic for night?

Is the basking light a separate necessity from the UVB? Or does that depend on your set up? Thanks.

madmark33

Bearded Dragon Egg
Gotcha...thanks. I went home at lunch, snagged a 100 watt basking light and added it today and he was immediately up on the ledge, chin up towards the lamp....I assume wanting the heat.

I am getting the UVB tonight.

madmark33

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got the temp gun showing up tomorrow. Ill swing by the store on the way home and snag a 75 watt and if I need to switch I can.

madmark33

Bearded Dragon Egg
right now the bulb is on top of the mesh top, directly over the basking area, which is a rock ledge/platform thing.

Should I move that rock possibly, depending on temp, so he can't get as high up?

While Im here, I have not seen a thread in search, but Im actively looking for a hood or ballast or whatever its called, for that T5? Is there a sticky that Im missing for that stuff?

madmark33

Bearded Dragon Egg
I picked up the 20” T8 (that’s all pet store had) zoomed and zoomed hood and the 75 watt bulb

measured 102 on basking ledge.

I have a T5 coming from amazon

madmark33

Bearded Dragon Egg
ya, I have the T5 and its own fixture arriving. They are the size fixture and bulb that you suggested earlier...24".

Ill get a pic this evening when I get home from work.

madmark33

Bearded Dragon Egg
yes...I stopped at the pet store on the way home, got the T8, and put it on for a couple hours before bed. I turned it and the basking light on before leaving for work this am.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
yes...I stopped at the pet store on the way home, got the T8, and put it on for a couple hours before bed. I turned it and the basking light on before leaving for work this am.
Hi - you may find it helpful to put the lights on an appliance timer (one or more if you want them on different schedules). :0)