• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Legless Beardie

PlainJayne

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there! New to the forum. Just joined for this beardie I received about 5 days ago.

The beardie in question is named Ming-Hua and has no back legs, tail, and has missing toes on her front legs.

She came to me from a friend of a friend who knew I have beardies. She didn't want to care for her anymore. She said she was attacked by siblings some time ago.

I just wonder if anybody can give me some advice? Is there anything I should know about trying to care for this special needs lizard?

I have her in a 50 gallon short tank to make it easier for her to find heat and cool down with a soft mat for substrate so she doesn't hurt herself moving around.

She has not eaten for me yet, and it seems she does not have any issues using the bathroom. I just worry she's in pain or that her quality of life is not so good? Have you ever had a beardie with these extreme injuries? Everything seems healed, as I believe the previous owner said it happened when she was younger.

She has an appointment with my local exotic vet at the end of August. Should I be doing anything special for her? Any advice to give?

Thank you, and good to be here!

20200804_221912.jpg
20200804_215900.jpg
20200804_221905.jpg
20200804_221918.jpg

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi there! New to the forum. Just joined for this beardie I received about 5 days ago.

The beardie in question is named Ming-Hua and has no back legs, tail, and has missing toes on her front legs.

She came to me from a friend of a friend who knew I have beardies. She didn't want to care for her anymore. She said she was attacked by siblings some time ago.

I just wonder if anybody can give me some advice? Is there anything I should know about trying to care for this special needs lizard?

I have her in a 50 gallon short tank to make it easier for her to find heat and cool down with a soft mat for substrate so she doesn't hurt herself moving around.

She has not eaten for me yet, and it seems she does not have any issues using the bathroom. I just worry she's in pain or that her quality of life is not so good? Have you ever had a beardie with these extreme injuries? Everything seems healed, as I believe the previous owner said it happened when she was younger.

She has an appointment with my local exotic vet at the end of August. Should I be doing anything special for her? Any advice to give?

View attachment 22983View attachment 22984View attachment 22985View attachment 22986
HOLY CRSP THAT IS LITTERLY THE CUTIES ADULT BEARDIE IVE EVER SEEN! I AM NOT SAYING THIS IN SYMPATHY FOR A LEGLESS BEARDIE BUT HE/SHE IS SO FREAKING CUTE

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
HOLY CRAPTHAT IS LITTERLY THE CUTIES ADULT BEARDIE IVE EVER SEEN! I AM NOT SAYING THIS IN SYMPATHY FOR A LEGLESS BEARDIE BUT HE/SHE IS SO FREAKING CUTE
And I don’t know how to help. I am so sorry. I wish I could help. He/she might just be scared from a new environment. I would bring him or her to a vet to get him or her checked out. And ask the vet questions

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Dear Lord... Attacked? More like delimbed. If I were you I'd ask an actual vet about that kind of situation. I know some people who have their bearded dragons toes missing, but nothing like that. Man, I feel terrible for that thing. Just get him/her in an area where he/she can easily reach food, water, etc. I wish you and your dragon the best of luck!

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Dear Lord... Attacked? More like delimbed. If I were you I'd ask an actual vet about that kind of situation. I know some people who have their bearded dragons toes missing, but nothing like that. Man, I feel terrible for that thing. Just get him/her in an area where he/she can easily reach food, water, etc. I wish you and your dragon the best of luck!
Yes like this person said I STRONGLY suggest doing that. Make his life easier than you would with a normal beardie. He’s adorbale. I hope he lives and is in good health

Pigmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was wondering if u would be interested in a little prosthesis. Wheel chair. He has enough back legs to strap a harness on. Something like a halter and attach small wheels to it. The little wheels would allow for better mobility. I would be interested in helping design and make something. I could possibly draw something up and u can ask the vet his opinion. Or u could try it and see if ur beardie adapts to wheels. Please let me know if ur interested. My minds already working. The wheels should sit on something that rotates so they back up and go sideways w/ ease

Pigmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I keep looking at the pic. While a wheel chair would work I think u should email pics to places that make prosthetics and see if the would make him actual legs. They would stay on w/ suction maybe a small strap too. I had a pot belly pig born w/ no hind legs the local guy was going to design a whole back end. Unfortunately the piggy died from a ruptured anus. It was sad. Anyway ur beardie does appear to be healed and there is no reason to not have a quality life. In the meantime I would still like to help.

PlainJayne

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was wondering if u would be interested in a little prosthesis. Wheel chair. He has enough back legs to strap a harness on. Something like a halter and attach small wheels to it. The little wheels would allow for better mobility. I would be interested in helping design and make something. I could possibly draw something up and u can ask the vet his opinion. Or u could try it and see if ur beardie adapts to wheels. Please let me know if ur interested. My minds already working. The wheels should sit on something that rotates so they back up and go sideways w/ ease
I would 100% be interested in trying something to help her. I feel so horrible for her watching her try to get around. She and I would appreciate it so much!

Pigmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
OMG this is so cool. We r going to improve this beardies mobility. There’s all sorts of stuff for missing limbs.

Attachments

• 979923C1-53B3-441F-84B1-5B801845D594.jpeg
    979923C1-53B3-441F-84B1-5B801845D594.jpeg
    17.8 KB · Views: 53

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran

View attachment 22983View attachment 22984View attachment 22985View attachment 22986
That is so sad,who would even let a bearded dragon get to that point. I agree with who ever said taking her to a vet and asking their opinion. Hope she gets better, keep us updated!

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
OMG this is so cool. We r going to improve this beardies mobility. There’s all sorts of stuff for missing limbs.
Agree that she is adorable. So grateful too you for taking her on. To have survived with those injuries she's a fighter with a will to live. So excited! Can't wait to see . . . keep us updated for sure!

Moab Dragons and Exotics

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok we r going to give her some wheels. Please private message me so we can get going on this.
I love this! I am missing a limb, although I didn’t get chewed on by siblings, maybe that would be a better story...lol I would donate to help with materials if need be. I actually adopted one missing a foot, my Sunny Boy, and he does really well...but as I always say, it’s only a foot and not most of a body.(sorry, the one legged humor)
9A60D74A-D0FE-43E5-BA31-77ABB5BE4788.jpeg

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh bless you!! She is precious I would donate if you set up a go fund me - so wonderful that you would do this. Keep us posted.

Drago

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would start by offering greens like kale and collards. Then squash and maybe put her in a smaller container for feeding Dubia roaches so that she doesn't have to move too much. You are good to take care of her.

In99flames

Hatchling Dragon
Cute beardie....its a shame what happened to her. You are awesome for taking on the responsibility. I didnt read all the posts but based on her situation, i strongly recommend hand feeding this little girl(if this hasnt been mentioned). Get a pair of feeding tongs. Wooden ones. NOT METAL. The metal could damage her mouth of she bites the tongs. The hand feeing will not force her to chase and will not stress her out when she can't catch the crickets. Also....VERY IMPORTANT. Do NOT leave live crickets roaming around the cage after feeding. They will eventually get hungry and could bite the beardie. Good luck!!