• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Leashes: Good or Bad?

Motherofdragons0727

Hatchling Dragon
I've been browsing the web since we got Godzilla for accessories to make his tank more at home and I keep coming across Bearded Dragon leashes. Obviously, it'd be something to possibly get a lot later on down the road seeing as he still fits in my hand but I was curious... Are they safe? Do you actually "walk" your dragon? Are they fond of the harness leashes? Is it safe to bring them outside? Do they need exercise? So many questions! The one we'd be interested in, I attached a picture of as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200717-074352.png
    Screenshot_20200717-074352.png
    306.2 KB · Views: 95

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I've been browsing the web since we got Godzilla for accessories to make his tank more at home and I keep coming across Bearded Dragon leashes. Obviously, it'd be something to possibly get a lot later on down the road seeing as he still fits in my hand but I was curious... Are they safe? Do you actually "walk" your dragon? Are they fond of the harness leashes? Is it safe to bring them outside? Do they need exercise? So many questions! The one we'd be interested in, I attached a picture of as well.
Yes! Harness’s for your beardie is ok! Wait until they are at least 4-5 months of age before you put one on him. Most beardies can learn from a young age to be on a leash. Some will never except one. But teach him from a young age and he should be fine! They love to be outside and walked in the grass. It’s a good way for them to explore without getting lost or running away! Those wings look adorable! I was thinking about getting mine the same ones! You can also watch DIY videos on how to make them. So you don’t waste money on ones that don’t fit! Good luck!

Motherofdragons0727

Hatchling Dragon
Yes! Harness’s for your beardie is ok! Wait until they are at least 4-5 months of age before you put one on him. Most beardies can learn from a young age to be on a leash. Some will never except one. But teach him from a young age and he should be fine! They love to be outside and walked in the grass. It’s a good way for them to explore without getting lost or running away! Those wings look adorable! I was thinking about getting mine the same ones! You can also watch DIY videos on how to make them. So you don’t waste money on ones that don’t fit! Good luck!
Awesome!! Wyatt will love being able to walk his bearded dragon!! Thank you!!

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I ordered Dex's leash. It came the same day as his hammock. lol I couldn't resist getting the wings. Can't wait until he's old enough to use. Concept of walking your beardie still cracks me up, but definitely a much safer way to get them out in the fresh air and sunshine. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 86

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Leashes are definitely safe for them, I walk my bearded dragons all the time! Most of the time they don't really walk they just sit there and enjoy the sun. The one that you have in the picture I would not suggest using right away as it is very big and bulky, I would suggest a smaller lighter harness. I would not suggest putting a bearded dragon in a harness till they are at least five months old and are used to being handled.

IMG_20200708_221545_708.jpg

Motherofdragons0727

Hatchling Dragon
Leashes are definitely safe for them, I walk my bearded dragons all the time! Most of the time they don't really walk they just sit there and enjoy the sun. The one that you have in the picture I would not suggest using right away as it is very big and bulky, I would suggest a smaller lighter harness. I would not suggest putting a bearded dragon in a harness till they are at least five months old and are used to being handled.

View attachment 22822
Awesome, Thanks for all the info! We'll keep looking for smaller leashes then. We got a few months!!

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran

View attachment 22822
Thanks, Silver! I did notice it was large, but lightweight. Figured I couldn't use on him right away, but couldn't resist getting. :) Wasn't sure on when. Thought I wait until he was big enough to handle it. Thanks for tip on age as I wasn't sure.

Motherofdragons0727

Hatchling Dragon
Awesome, Thanks for all the info! We'll keep looking for smaller leashes then. We got a few months!!
My husband also mentioned, Dragons don't look like they'd walk too goos on leashes.. Are you sure? He grew up with all kinds of animals from dogs to turtles to tarantulas *shudders* to ferrets. He used to walk his ferrets on leashes but ferrets are pretty energetic. Kind of like toddlers after a ton of candy haha So it makes sense that they mainly use the walking time to soak up some sun :)

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My husband also mentioned, Dragons don't look like they'd walk too goos on leashes.. Are you sure? He grew up with all kinds of animals from dogs to turtles to tarantulas *shudders* to ferrets. He used to walk his ferrets on leashes but ferrets are pretty energetic. Kind of like toddlers after a ton of candy haha So it makes sense that they mainly use the walking time to soak up some sun :)
I'm not sure how well they'd actually go for a walk like a dog or ferret. lol What I've gathered it's more of a security measure if you want to take your dragons outside to enjoy fresh air and sunshine. They probably may bask more than actually walk, but having a secure hold on them will ensure that they can't suddenly take off and run. Not only may they escape, but may become stressed if chased and may harm themselves trying to get away. Leash gives you more control over them and environment.

Er tarantulas . . . gasp. Shuddering with you there. Holy moly and a hard no . . . uh ah . . . not for this lady.

Motherofdragons0727

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah, Godzilla is already fast. I can't imagine when he gets bigger. I'll sit on the couch with him, and he'll run right up my shirt, then jump from my shoulder to the top of the couch then to the window sill so he can look outside and he does that in a matter of like 4 seconds? It's crazy! I love how he already has so much character! And yeah, we went to a local science center a few months back with the kids and Wyatt held a big hairy tarantula and told his Daddy he wanted one. I just laughed. The only spider that doesn't bother me are Granddaddy long legs lol I will take care of ANY animal or whathave you. But no dang tarantula lol

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah, Godzilla is already fast. I can't imagine when he gets bigger. I'll sit on the couch with him, and he'll run right up my shirt, then jump from my shoulder to the top of the couch then to the window sill so he can look outside and he does that in a matter of like 4 seconds? It's crazy! I love how he already has so much character! And yeah, we went to a local science center a few months back with the kids and Wyatt held a big hairy tarantula and told his Daddy he wanted one. I just laughed. The only spider that doesn't bother me are Granddaddy long legs lol I will take care of ANY animal or whathave you. But no dang tarantula lol
Freaky how fast they are when they are little. I had a juvenile briefly (he had to be euthanized about a month later due to a tumor on his left hemipenis) that was a lot slower than Dex. More laid back and definitely not quick. That may have been because he wasn't feeling well, though. Not sure. We have a friend that has a 6-year-old girl that's doesn't seem as fast. Moves slower and likes to bask more than anything. lol I love Dex's character. He's very inquisitive. Checks things out constantly. Likes to sit on the windowsill in the sun mostly. :)

Er nope . . . not for me. Shudder. I have arachnophobia. lol Big or small. JUST NOPE. Snakes don't bother me, mice don't bother me, and neither do rats. I've even held some of each. But spiders scare the ever loving outta me and definitely make me scream like a girl if I see them. Don't have any idea why. lololol

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My dragons walk just fine on a leash, now they're not like a dog or anything so they're really slow and they mostly just sit there but mine love to go and just bask in the sun. Now every dragon is different and all dragons will adapt to leashes differently.

Motherofdragons0727

Hatchling Dragon
Freaky how fast they are when they are little. I had a juvenile briefly (he had to be euthanized about a month later due to a tumor on his left hemipenis) that was a lot slower than Dex. More laid back and definitely not quick. That may have been because he wasn't feeling well, though. Not sure. We have a friend that has a 6-year-old girl that's doesn't seem as fast. Moves slower and likes to bask more than anything. lol I love Dex's character. He's very inquisitive. Checks things out constantly. Likes to sit on the windowsill in the sun mostly. :)

Er nope . . . not for me. Shudder. I have arachnophobia. lol Big or small. JUST NOPE. Snakes don't bother me, mice don't bother me, and neither do rats. I've even held some of each. But spiders scare the ever loving outta me and definitely make me scream like a girl if I see them. Don't have any idea why. lololol
Yeah i had a friend who had rats and i held them before but not rats in the wild. We had one get in our house a few months back because we live next to some woods and I didn't want that thing anywhere near me. I think thats more because of what they can carry when they aren't domesticated

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah i had a friend who had rats and i held them before but not rats in the wild. We had one get in our house a few months back because we live next to some woods and I didn't want that thing anywhere near me. I think thats more because of what they can carry when they aren't domesticated
Never held a wild rat or mouse. Figured I'd get bit to heck. lol But my kids friends always had critters for pets. Thought they'd freak me out by bringing them out whenever I picked up my kids. Totally stunned when I'd ask to hold whichever pet was brought out including the snakes. Course none of them every brought out any type of spiders. Eek. The only pet I didn't ask to hold was a scorpion one of my son's friends had. I got up close and took a good look, but was too nervous to want to hold her in my hand . . . if she moved I was afraid I'd toss her out of survival reflex. lol

Storm Romano

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have the one in the photo for my bearded dragon and the most important thing to remember is it’s not like a dog they don’t really walk the same way a dog would. But over all it’s ok for your beardie just make sure if they get stressed on it to take it off.