• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

labored breathing?

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi all -

I just walked by and said hello to Pete and noticed he looked like he is breathing a little heavily. And when he is breathing - he is kind of puffing up his beard a little bit too. Im concerned because I have never seen him breathe like this before. He also happens to be in the midst of a shed. Could this be why he is breathing this way or does it sound like he may have a respiratory issue?

thanks guys :)

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He could be puffing his beard to help along the shed and the breathing just looks that way. If he doesn't show any signs of RI I don't think I would be concerned. Watch for a day though.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hopefully, he was just puffing out his beard.

Did his breathing seem to be short quick gasps of air?

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yeah I guess it seems that way
he is still doing it today
i took him to the vet yesterday and he thought it was because the shed is making him uncomfortable - his breathing was clear

im not so sure whats going on
this morning i found some partially digested cricket - along with some regular feces - in his tank
im thinking maybe he had some crickets that were too big for him? could this be causing him problems?
he seems uncomfortable and im getting worried :(

thanks

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm glad you were proactive and took him to the vet. The vet would be able to tell if he had respiratory issues.

If the crickets were too large, it does give them problems. It sounds like he passed them. Just make sure they are no larger than the space between his eyes.

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thanks Renee - that makes me feel a little better :)
so if he passed them do you think he will be ok?
he is kind of blah today so far - has his eyes closed here and there
i gave him some salad (that i dont think he's touched yet) but no crickets so far this morning...
do you think he just doesnt feel great?

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
just another update...
Pete wouldnt touch his crickets...he was not at all interested in eating
I gave him a bath hoping that would help him feel better - and he looked ok - his eyes were open and he didnt seem to mind
he was drinking alot while in the bath - which he usually doesnt do
after his bath, i put him back home and he has since been up on his hammock plastered up against the glass where the heat pad is
his temps seem ok over there...
any ideas? im watching him like a hawk today...lol :)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is possible that he could have more crickets in there. I would give him daily baths. Gently massage his belly to help pass any possible impaction he has.

Him being up against the heat pad bothers me. What are your temps? What do you use to take the temps?
What is your light setup - basking and UV lights.

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
well i suppose it is possible a cricket slipped under the tiles and i cant see him - are you thinking he could be stressed out?
i have been giving him daily baths - and he did have some poop in there this morning - a little harder than usual but still it came out

his temps are around 106-ish in his basking area
i have the digital probes in there
I am using a 100 watt basking bulb and i have the reptisun 10 across the top of his tank

he has since moved off the heating pad area and on to his branch
he ate some crickets (finally) and is now eating some salad
this is major improvement!

ugh...so much to worry about!
i feel like a nut! LOL

thanks

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Haha! It's amazing how these little guys keep us on our toes. How can something so tiny tug at our heart strings so much?

Sounds like things are coming around. Crickets are very tricky. I used to find some hiding in the birch wood we had in there. They would find the tiniest crevices and burrow in.

Anyway, it sounds like you are doing everything right. I still question the heat mat. I've used a heat emitter to warm things up, but only in the coldest of winter. I'm curious how things would be without it. Putting it on the side is fine, but I wonder about the necessity of it.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sometimes they do just have off days. Glad no RI at vets.
I would continue what you are doing. Give nice warm soaks to help pass along anything that isn't digesting. Take away the heat mat definately. Maybe he isn't basking properly because of it.
Remind me of his age?

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
he is still a baby - we got him in June
i think at the vet yesterday they estimated his age at maybe 22 weeks if i was reading the screen correctly

i will remove the heat mat from the side of the tank
and i will check into a heat emitter...im not sure what that is

i will keep up the soaks - i actually like giving him baths :)
i will keep you posted - thank you for all the help!