• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just some basic questions

Nyki

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just adopted this beardie and wanted to make sure there was nothing else I needed and that the bedding was correct also the person I adopted him from was only feeding him meal and butter worms do I need to add anything to this and how often. Should he eat
dfbce86aef3f0126252d20586fbc2efc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
He's cute! He'll need a bigger tank before long, but at minimum, you need (if you don't already have) a basking (bright white) heat lamp, and a tube UVB light. You also need reliable thermometers to watch temps - he needs enough heat but a small tank can easily overheat. Mealworms aren't great, especially for a young one, and butterworms should be treats only. Good staple feeders are BSFL, dubia or discoid roaches (depending on what's legal where you live), silkworms. Hornworms are a good treat ad well. Crickets are readily available. Ypu should also offer dark greens (mustard, turnip, collards, for example),with veggies like squash as a mix-in. See the great list/chart of foods at beautifuldragons.com/nutrition
For substrate, many people recommend things like slate tile, nonadhesive vinyl/linoleum type stuff, reptile carpet, even newspaper or paper towel. There are *very* strong opinions about loose substrates/sand, so I'm not going to get into that one, but do some research and make your own informed choice there.

Nyki

Bearded Dragon Egg
He's cute! He'll need a bigger tank before long, but at minimum, you need (if you don't already have) a basking (bright white) heat lamp, and a tube UVB light. You also need reliable thermometers to watch temps - he needs enough heat but a small tank can easily overheat. Mealworms aren't great, especially for a young one, and butterworms should be treats only. Good staple feeders are BSFL, dubia or discoid roaches (depending on what's legal where you live), silkworms. Hornworms are a good treat ad well. Crickets are readily available. Ypu should also offer dark greens (mustard, turnip, collards, for example),with veggies like squash as a mix-in. See the great list/chart of foods at beautifuldragons.com/nutrition
For substrate, many people recommend things like slate tile, nonadhesive vinyl/linoleum type stuff, reptile carpet, even newspaper or paper towel. There are *very* strong opinions about loose substrates/sand, so I'm not going to get into that one, but do some research and make your own informed choice there.
I do have a light and a USB I have helped raise a bearded dragon for the past month so I knew about that but my concern is that the bottom of the tanks front panel is mesh I really do not feel like its holding heat at all I am going to get a thermometer but how can u be sure that it has different temperatures in the cage like its supposed to and I thought meal worms and butter worms were treats but hes a tiny thing wouldnt roaches be to big

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Baby roaches should be small enough. They're only about 1/4 inch long, and possibly smaller. Getting the temps right and keeping a range between the two ends can be difficult. It's mostly trial and error to find what works for you. :0)

Nyki

Bearded Dragon Egg
Baby roaches should be small enough. They're only about 1/4 inch long, and possibly smaller. Getting the temps right and keeping a range between the two ends can be difficult. It's mostly trial and error to find what works for you. :0)
One more thing lol for the uvb tube lights does it have to be one of those horribly expensive reptile light bulb holders or can I just use a normal florescent bulb holder

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
I *think* you can get a regular one (check tube diameter, like mine is t5, not same as regular household type), but be sure it has a reflector, and remove any plastic cover over the bulb. I can't confirm, since mine is the reptisun one.

Nyki

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can get a 18" from Home Depot -- here is a link for that
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-18-in-Fluorescent-Under-Cabinet-Light-Fixture-16466/100384834
Did you get the substrate changed out? And he will need a bigger tank --- like a 75-120 gallon for full potential growth ---- how is the little guy doing?
kaylyn
Yeah I'm looking into a bigger tank now this is what the one I have looks like except the bottom panel and the top is mesh and he seems to be doing good but gets black streaks on his belly sometimes is that normal
19e394b556fa0b05615bb8e1121d6981.jpg

Nyki

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please do not get that tank - you need to get a wider tank--- you need floor space on something high-- he will not be happy in that tank---
kaylyn
No hun that's not the tank I'm buying that's the one hes in now and yes he hates it lol

Nyki

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am sorry-- oops-- good-- so he's getting black streaks -- can you post a pic of him-- could be stress but I need to see him-- could be just coloring too--
I will get back w/ you tomorrow
kaylyn
Heres a pic of the lines they get alot darker sometimes
f48e0f73e5b151da738042bc1608635c.jpg
15112dfe2f4ac164a259bea43f43853f.jpg

Nyki

Bearded Dragon Egg
Did you say something cause all that showed up was the pictures again

Nyki

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hes fine -- its his coloring --- I have more info for your little one-- so I see JJF gave you the nutrition site --- also when you get your new tank you can use textured non adhesive shelf liner or a slated ceramic tile that would need to be cut w/ a tile cutter- both are cheap and can be bought at Home Depot Lowes etc...clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50-- i use that in my tank --- please get a infrared heat gun from Walmart Lowes or Home Depot they are around $10 -- they are the most accurate way to take your temps-- here is some info Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
-- this lighting is crucial to his over all health digestive and behavior -- if you have more questions or need any more info I please ask and if you have a question I cant answer there is another place that can be asked and alot of experienced dragon owners there-- here is that website --- www.beardeddragon.org
kaylyn
Ok thanks that is a big help

Nyki

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok thanks that is a big help

One more question for now how often should he poop sorry about the bold question but I just wanted to make sure he is pooping enough

Nyki

Bearded Dragon Egg
He / she should be pooping everyday--- babies will go every day when they get older like a year or so it tends to slow down -- I guess their diet will play a role along w/ the correct lighting as well -- if your lighting is not correct its gonna show w/ the digesting etc............ that is why I sent the info for the UVB etc -- basking temps too --- it all goes hand in hand --- wht kind of substrate do you have in the tank? If it is something he can digest I would get rid of it and replace w/ paper towels for now--- you dont want him / her impacted
kaylyn
I will do that immediately cause he definitely is not pooping everyday I was trying to wait it out to I switched tanks to get a different flooring disnt know you could use papertowels and didnt wanna waste the flooring I have for his new cage in this old one and I ordered the correct lights already so he should be good once we get this new tank

Nyki

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes paper towels are often used for when they are babies or when something needs to get changed out right away --- sand crushed walnuts coconut soil stuff is not good - the walnuts and coconut are toxic --- just use the paper towels for now -- you dont want him impacted and if he can injest that its a good possibilty--
kaylyn
Hey hun got a new tank and have some questions some might be repeats of from 1before but I want to make sure I don't do anythi wrong I'm gonna include pics of the new tank it is a 29 gallon i got reptile carpet the light and uv bulb u recommended already my question is is the tank suitable and are the platforms in this tank suitable they are made of some sort of wood looks like plywood to me I think I'm probably gonna take out the two that are highest up and leave the lower one as a basking spot does that sound like a good idea or u would u leave them all or take them all out and it has housed hermit crabs and mice previously so how do I properly disinfect it so that none of the critters aftermath hurt my beardie one last thing there were a few hides included one made of wood the other two look like stone how would I clean them on the last picture the thing circled is the one I planned on leaving for a basking spot please let me know what u think and the answers to my questions
5c1f72138fbe8c90e55885f7053ffab8.jpg
cfbe2c4445d45162f5f606ed64f11d65.jpg
702325603934e7254ea059ce91ba9afa.jpg
af6f3fda39657fb0c17adb2fd57f4733.jpg
ca550ceaf13bae9aed4761ad767fd796.jpg

Nyki

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please clean the tank out w/ some F10 if you can get it - I got mine on line it will kill everything in that tank- follow directions --- reptile carpet is good - the tank will need to be upgraded - they do not recommend anything smaller than a 40 gallon tank for a dragon and a 40 is pushing it-- he is going to need a bigger tank by the time he is pushing a year--- he needs a bright white basking bulb for basking --- NO CHE ceramic heat emitter -- they do not get basking temps high enough for digestion --- basking spot needs to be 100-110 for a baby --- temps need to be taken w/ a Infrared Heat gun as they are most accurate -- you can get them at Walmart Home Depot or Lowes for around $10------ next he needs this for UVB
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- this lighting is crucial for their over all health and behavior and their digestion ------------ UVB helps them absorb the nutrients in their food--- I would recommend dubia roaches for a staple feeder --- they are easy to keep in a tote or 10 gallon tank they dont stink and they dont chirp-- you can feed them carrots apples squash strawberries -- they dont like greens--crickets tend to give parasite / worms that is why I recommend the dubias---- here is a website for nutrition for your dragon -----
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
If you cant find them at your local petstore you can order on line - most people do ---- there are plenty of places to get them from ---- you can search on Amazon.com most suppliers offer free shipping but other places are cheaper than Amazon --- rainbowmealworms.com --- abdragons.com ---- I get mine from dubiaroaches.com but they do charge for shipping ---
Looking at that tank the stuff like the ropes and the carpeting looks really dirty I would get rid of it -- you can shop for dragon decor on Petsmart or go to the store they have some really nice stuff -- you want a hide for him and think big cuz hes gonna need it I will post a pic of my tank and you can see it
6s9w455XcqUbTw6pP6WF0fIS4N0SJt_-YgitrtqzZllXScdIw6-INtod3nufiHJYF7ND0fX1tnuTF3MvPKiYc5wtbKNqJnkaBVxyHGIXiCV4K2bLrwNcpBOrzt2WxvvoRzzLoIErtfTqHyENmMbKd0rUyrOMyPBQqGy1usaWD9h1UnovxTec6P23y8tjJUvu-eCJ9wqFYuVuyBjxRaTla0YHLyG0AOUjQcOWLo14KPRDddelngrDMJINCYydjhmJwHeQ3hEwV_RxonuthCCT5Fa9ohsz71QGdGs11hNaVQOMmxNe-C-Wd-QFlcmZmWGBx-XSPQl3Ig23CjBWa2ArjXhxxZTQEjv5M9I7ZnpOTp2f1cFh9GyLpfGUK0V0Vfxp0QauAphleRsjC8G3ooHzmk0HnG51P63phDpWtGF9ejqaE88uTUuGfWGNHhG1U0powjEUahFG9lEhqey6pb6vV-Ftd6IjXoLX9MG-QRieb36Xn3AqFAjHqKke7-mJRZJzZ_l5HNVuVn2Wg-ksZGSej8rk5TrMcn4xKbAuFOiL3HOTXCUYoMOqfGYiMg4kPPRdplsAMbXubxsqoyp9l-V8OkgRyqoxMoSzAw1tBxU1tJM9q3JFPjLqQWNcvoldMeJmCMOqsPUW3-c-hfpz_wPZxHiWmZ1Tw_8=w1205-h904-no

Everything came from Petsmart except the plant and the tile
kaylyn
Reading through it earlier posts I found the heat gon and ordered it along with the uvb and light fixture that u recommended before i am only using this tank temporarily while i save enough for the 75 gallon one i know that they need big cause they get big and that was my worry about the shelves and rope looking dirty so basically even with the cleaner you would recommend removing the shelves and tile completely I was only gonna keep the one shelf that is closet to the bottom cause it looked the cleanest and I had planned on reptile carpeting it the rope I didnt think he would have a use for and the other shelves are decomposing and very dirty one last thing there I'd a significant amount of some kind of adhesive to hold the shelves in place how would I safely remove that off the walls of the tank

Nyki

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is this the cleaner you were talking about
d41a11f691b34f811a296d01bf14487e.jpg

Nyki

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey hun I wanted to see what the vitamins are that I need to give my beardie I use flukers for all my reptile stuff but if you cant find it there please link where it is you can check out flukers vitamins section to see if they have the right stuff please let me know what you find

Nyki

Bearded Dragon Egg
have you checked chewy.com or amazon--- they also have liquid --- not sure what you use -- are you in the states?
I dont use anything right now cause I didnt know what you need to use and yea I live in the states