• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

It's raining crickets hallelujah

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
5b0b05363535706069b94541067057a4.jpg

5dbe1f29c9a04e788a01f355a49b0180.jpg

Just got 250 crickets shipped to me from flunkerfarm for a little over $10, decided to give foxy some to eat before I start breeding them. The soil for them to lay their eggs in is still in the freezer I'm waiting for my friend to tell me how long o bake it for and at what temperature so I can make sure it's mite free

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good luck on your breading...It's a pretty fascinating process did it for 5 years give or take I bought from armstrongcrickets.com they were great I usually got 500 1/2 grown at a time. But that was when I had the rescued house wren that's what she ate. For me they were high maintenance and very way to sensitive to odors and temps. Willow would eat easily 30 a day plus mealworms amazing for a little wren!! lol watching the little pinheads hatch out was pretty cool..

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
I'm hopeful that they'll lay eggs
I put two woodchips containers in (I thought I bought soil but I was wrong)
485ac71f90496e4878749e33f86c03a2.jpg

917026e563bddeca97e017df037c3fad.jpg

And they're being fed Crestie food

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
I will probably end up mixing up the type of bedding I use for them until I find something that works well with me [emoji5]
I will keep the meal worm bedding in mind thank you very much!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
looks like you got 1/2 grown? or are there some winged adult males and adult females (they'll have long egg depositors)
the worm bedding worked well because I could keep it kinda misted for the eggs to form.
You'll know their laying when you see a bunch of females with their butts stuck in the container :) The males are the ones that chirp :)

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
I got them 5 weeks I believe, if I have to order another batch I'm fine with that but I was hoping they would be fine
They are currently checking it out and probably eating whatever they can in there, I was told by my friend that if there are any muted in there the crickets will eat them

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will probably end up mixing up the type of bedding I use for them until I find something that works well with me [emoji5]
I will keep the meal worm bedding in mind thank you very much!
soil molded too quick for me, newspaper worm bedding made it impossible for the females to really get in there.
the worm bedding is soft and easily moved

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got them 5 weeks I believe, if I have to order another batch I'm fine with that but I was hoping they would be fine
They are currently checking it out and probably eating whatever they can in there, I was told by my friend that if there are any muted in there the crickets will eat them
It' won't be long before those will breed. They look 1/2 to 2/3rds grown likely 1 or 2 molts they will be adult. When you hear the males singing you know you have some adults in there

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
Not going to lie they were pretty tough to breed.. I could get them to hatch and then it was hit and miss if they would survive long enough to feed off.. It was easier for me to buy in bulk..
It's kinda a trial and error right now, it's mostly so that when I got to college I won't have to spend a crap ton of money on crickets
I will if I have to but it's just to see if I can

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you will first see them along the sides of the container as for whatever reason that's where I first saw them, once they really get going and the container has a ton of females laying you'll see them on the top as for when they move around the eggs stick to their feet and the egg depositor and get moved around..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
@Hdrydr31 do you need to cover the dirt with mesh to keep them from eating the eggs? I read somewhere that it needed to be covered.