• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is zoo med a good brand?

TinySmaugOfficial

Hatchling Dragon
I purchased the kit (NOT USING SAND GOD NO) and I’m using a tank heater, three zoo med thermometers (they aren’t digital) and a zoo med UVB (not coil) and basking light. I just kinda need to know if I should change stuff out or not because I don’t wanna make him sick.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I purchased the kit (NOT USING SAND GOD NO) and I’m using a tank heater, three zoo med thermometers (they aren’t digital) and a zoo med UVB (not coil) and basking light. I just kinda need to know if I should change stuff out or not because I don’t wanna make him sick.
Zoo Med is good depending on what it is --- the digital probe thermometers are good -- you need one of those for actual basking temps --- the tank heater do not use it unless absolutely necessary like when he gets sick --- please post a pic of the UVB -- most kits come w/ coils they are cheap and NO good--- so I am curious as to what it is --- we can go from there -- NO colored bulbs either they can cause eye damage and they disrupt the dragons sleep --

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
The kits, regardless of brand, are usually huge rip-offs. It actually costs less to buy everything separately than it does to buy the kit and replace half of the things in it. Although Zoo Med does sell products that shouldn't be used (hot rocks, compact bulbs, unhealthy pellets, etc.), the good items they sell are high-quality and are some of the best available.

TinySmaugOfficial

Hatchling Dragon
Zoo Med is good depending on what it is --- the digital probe thermometers are good -- you need one of those for actual basking temps --- the tank heater do not use it unless absolutely necessary like when he gets sick --- please post a pic of the UVB -- most kits come w/ coils they are cheap and NO good--- so I am curious as to what it is --- we can go from there -- NO colored bulbs either they can cause eye damage and they disrupt the dragons sleep --
I am using the tank heater for at night. I dont have any colored bulbs, just a regular UVB and basking. The UVB isnt a coil.

TinySmaugOfficial

Hatchling Dragon
The kits, regardless of brand, are usually huge rip-offs. It actually costs less to buy everything separately than it does to buy the kit and replace half of the things in it. Although Zoo Med does sell products that shouldn't be used (hot rocks, compact bulbs, unhealthy pellets, etc.), the good items they sell are high-quality and are some of the best available.
I did get a kit... the person at the pet store said it was fine, though. I don’t have hot rocks (I used cleaned-off rocks from my backyard) and I’m not sure about his pellets, they came with the kit. (He dosnt eat them anyway and I don’t give him them often so i dunno if it matters at this point) I AM CONCERNED that the bulbs might be compact... what happens if I use compact bulbs...?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am using the tank heater for at night. I dont have any colored bulbs, just a regular UVB and basking. The UVB isnt a coil.
Regular UVB ? What is the bulb T 5 or T 8? Distance and placement is crucial for effectiveness-- please get rid of the tank heater- if your tank is 65-75 at nite your good-- if it's falling below 65 then you want a che ceramic heat emitter---

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did get a kit... the person at the pet store said it was fine, though. I don’t have hot rocks (I used cleaned-off rocks from my backyard) and I’m not sure about his pellets, they came with the kit. (He dosnt eat them anyway and I don’t give him them often so i dunno if it matters at this point) I AM CONCERNED that the bulbs might be compact... what happens if I use compact bulbs...?
Compact bulbs are No good- they do not provide adequate uvb-- and cause all kinds of health issues

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
yeah i realized this after i bought a kit! No good at all, already purchasing new lights and didn't use the sand mat

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
yeah dont know how to place or distance lol , i will message you when i get it, is there a way to DM on here?

Morgsie006

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am wondering this as well. I got the kit that came with the 50 gallon tank, but my little guy doesn’t seem warm enough...he is climbing up the thermometer to get as close as physically possible to the lamps. My gage says 90 degrees which makes me think it’s not hot enough and different lights are needed.

Attachments

• 26C7FBB9-CBC3-45EC-9333-CB72F87045BB.jpeg
    26C7FBB9-CBC3-45EC-9333-CB72F87045BB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am wondering this as well. I got the kit that came with the 50 gallon tank, but my little guy doesn’t seem warm enough...he is climbing up the thermometer to get as close as physically possible to the lamps. My gage says 90 degrees which makes me think it’s not hot enough and different lights are needed.
You need to get a digital probe thermometer-- stick ons are inaccurate-- you want temps 105-110 for a baby-- 95-110 for juvie-/ adult--if one of those bulbs in the dome is a coil UVB it needs to be replaced w/ a 24" fixture like a zoo med and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5