• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this yellow fungus?

Wrath

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys please give me any advice or information you may have on these dull patches. I think they came from him sleeping in his water bowl overnight. Its also appears on his tail as you see and his left foot has it as well. I want to start giving him betadine baths but I don't want to medivate if he does not need it. He still is pretty active and eating well.
20190412_231916.jpg

Smawg

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
maybe he is going to shed? the side of his face looks like it too, does he have proper set up & eating good too?

JeanBD

Hatchling Dragon
Doesn't look natural.......but possibly be shed? I think you should contact an expert. tho.

Galapoodle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Could be shed, do you give warm water baths? It really helps them while shedding. I give my girl regular baths (she's potty trained now) some people do weekly, but daily or more during a shed can be so helpful. If it is don't force the scales off, be very gentle. The older they get the more patchy their sheds are, instead of a whole tail or head it'll be a section, and like my 3.5 yo princess right now, a random section of snout beard and lips. I have seen her shed a glove/boot off her foot and also just the upper arm/leg, etc. Her belly has gone in chunks too, usually it'll all eventually go, but it can be pretty random and take ages. [Warning kinda graphic] Watch carefully when finger and toes shed (tail too), if any shed is retained and doesn't eventually come off, it constricts and cuts off blood flow, causing a lot of pain and eventual loss of the digit (either they bite it off themselves of a vet will amputate).

We decided against a water dish because of humidity concerns, (vet approved decision based on a respiratory infection we nursed her out of). We give her water droplets manually like dew, sometimes she glares, mouth closed in protest and sometimes she laps it up. She never touched her water dish anyway besides to lay or poop in it. And she derives most of her hydration from her food.

I encourage you, and all new dragon keepers, if you've never taken your precious pet to an exotics vet, do it. Get a baseline checkup, fecal and possibly blood test. We waited months before taking her in and could have saved so much money by catching her illness early. She lucky to be alive really, it was no easy feat saving her.

The forums can only help so much (so much varying experiences and opinions) and budgeting (sometimes sacrificing) for a vet visit is the least you can do to ensure your new lizard is healthy.

For your bearded specifically, the tail foot finger head shed are what I suspect, the patch on the side looks weird but you said it slept in water bowl so it could be like waterlogged or something, or a unique shed. We make sure to dry our girl in all her nooks and crannies after a bath to try to prevent yellow fungus (another vet order). YF can be caused by too much moisture on their skin. I'm sure there is more to it but I am not a vet, just have spent too much time at my vets office.
For you I recommend a vet visit to give you sure guidance. If you google exotic vets in your area you should be able to come up with someone.

Good luck!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is just the beginning of a shed, as adults they will shed in little pieces instead of larger sections. All very normal.