• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this tail rot?

Jhester

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, my bearded dragons are still pretty small and I noticed one of them had a thinner tail than the other, especially the end part.
It also looks a bit darker and dry. There's no signs of pain when I touch it but I'm worried it might be tail rot.
Is my beardie healthy?

Attachments

• tailrot.jpg
    tailrot.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, my bearded dragons are still pretty small and I noticed one of them had a thinner tail than the other, especially the end part.
It also looks a bit darker and dry. There's no signs of pain when I touch it but I'm worried it might be tail rot.
Is my beardie healthy?
The tail looks like it has a pinch in it -- if your housing the two dragons together please get the separated ASAP- other wise your going to end up w/ more nips and bites on that one -- once they start they dont stop - dragons are a territorial animal and a dominant one -- you will need two setups and I recommend you do this ASAP --- please keep an eye on that tail if its starts turning black infection is setting in --- since its at the very end it could just fall off but here is what to keep an eye out for --- if it starts w/ the black get some raw unpasteurized honey on it ASAP leave NO crickets in the tank they will go straight for the tail -- the honey is going to kill any infection starting - dab it on there 2 times a day --
Causes of tail rot are:
1. Injuries/trauma - caused by falls, or by any other bearded dragon.
2. Malnourished - make sure he has a balanced diet and he gets the nourishment he needs
How to identify tail rot:
1. Dried out - Decaying tail won't be able to retain moisture, check if it's dried out completely.
2. Very thin, brittle - Decaying tail won't be able to process nourishment, causing it to become more thin and brittle.
What to do after finding out it has a tail rot:
1. Go to a vet - very recommended
For more info, please see the link: https://reptile.guide/bearded-dragon-tail-rot/
T Ask yourself these questions:
Was the tail recently injured?
Was a part of the tail open (eg wound/scrape/cut)
Was flesh exposed?
Is the tail constantly dark? or does the darkness ever go away (eg when in the tank, different environments)
If you didn't answer yes to basically all of those questions, it's not tail rot.
Tail rot is extremely rare. It's an infection of the flesh, from a wound or injury to the tail.
Tail rot is really kind of just a fancy name for an infected wound, one of which is affecting the tail.ail Rot
Please make sure your using NO coils for UVB's CLEAR bright basking bulbs NO off color white or yellowish bulbs NO day time bulbs they have a neodymium coating on them that is bad for the eyes -- NO heat mats or rocks and NO sand please if you need more help please ask