• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is there such thing as a substitution for Crickets

chris.kampers

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello.. I have 3 adult bearded dragons.. 2 females and a male.. They currently eat large crickets as their meals as well as greens? Is there a 100% substitution for something else I can use? I'm moving to a apartment and don't have any designated hiding spots for my chirping little friends.. Is it possible or do they need crickets in their diet all the time?

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
My current beardie has never had a cricket, her staple prey item is dubia roaches. I know..I know... but once you get over the fact that they are indeed roaches, they are actually much better. No smell..no die off..longer lifespan..don't jump or climb smooth surfaces..quiet..cleaner. .much more nutritious.. and if you can get a colony going they'll breed like crazy.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya my gf thinks im crazy too but i just ordered a bunch to start my colony. I cant wait till they come tired of smelling crickets. ;)

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
uploadfromtaptalk1390506580824.jpg
opaque smooth sided tub inside another to be sure no escapees (paranoia)
uploadfromtaptalk1390506669536.jpg
inside unused eggcrate sheets, food and moisture dishes they're able to crawl into
uploadfromtaptalk1390506748114.jpg
happy roaches
uploadfromtaptalk1390506773893.jpg
food is mail order with added bee pollen and orange juice powder..moisture gel is what I had left over from crickets. I dont bother using a heater and they're still growing and lookin good!

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
If I remember right I think phoenix worms can be fed often too? Are silk worms hard to care for? They only eat one particular food...

Ron G

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Depends who you ask. I never had a problem with them. They only eat a special chow made for them. You can buy it pre made or get the powder and make it yourself. It is easy to do but smells really bad. Silk worms are more expensive than crickets but are really good for Bearded Dragons and don't make any noise. My one year old dragon just stopped eating them for some reason and I now just get him crickets and hornworms. Since he has turned a year his eating is totally different from before. His appetite is way less for the bugs and worms so I buy much less than before. I have also stopped worrying about his eating to a point but it still wish he would eat more than he does now. Phoenix Worms are very small for adults and mine is so lazy he won't eat anything right away do I stopped using them.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Would they eat crickets that are not so large? I remember one time ordering crickets that were big but not quite adults so they didn't chirp.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah it would be more expensive but until they're fully mature they don't chirp...and only the males chirp so feed them off FIRST and cut down on noise?

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Your situation stinks, especially considering tropical roaches are illegal in Canada! :eek:

I'd still recommend crickets for variety with different types of worms, but if you can't and don't want to risk it, technically they can live off of worms. They're just typically a little fattier than roaches and crickets. I'd go with Phoenix worms and silkworms, with superworms as treats. The worms would be a pain because it would take more of them to fill up on, and relying on the postal service for food can be a nuisance.

chris.kampers

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hopefully I can find a balance with small crickets and these guys as I feel there really isn't a way around it as crickets really are the best for them.. Not to mention it's fun for them to catch