• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my beardie okay in a Wire cage?

pupppy15

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I live in Southern CA. I originally had my 2yr old Beardie in a glass terrium. However I started fostering a few wetter species (white tree frogs, fat tail gecko, crested geck) and I noticed the humidity in my room was going up, normally her tank was 60ish(with no water bowl left inside). I got worried for my beardie so I switched her to a wire cage. I don't have an AC so its only the SoCal heat & upped her 75watt basking bulb to 100watt. the basking spot looks good, whenever I hit it with a heat gun the basking spot is 100-105F & the humidity in her enclosure seems to rest at 40

She seems to be doing great & i don't see any signs of sickness, stress, lethargy etc
When the humidity was higher she didnt seam to be herself.
She's been in the wire cage for 5 almost 6 months & is back to her old self.

I recently had a fellow bearded dragon owner strongly recommended for me to go back to the glass enclosure but I personally think she's doing better in her current set up.

I only want what's best for my Beardie, I'm willing to spend the money to get the other cage however I'm extremely worried about URI with the high humidity.
She's 2yrs old 18" & the cage dimensions are 40"L×17.5"W×21"H

Attachments

• 1596140034561496274553009649434.jpg
    1596140034561496274553009649434.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 38
  • 15961402030837019443931403958243.jpg
    15961402030837019443931403958243.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 38
  • 1596140473537284835517335992861.jpg
    1596140473537284835517335992861.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Your bearded dragon should be fine in a wire cage. However, make sure you're not in an area that has a lot of lightning bugs, as those would kill your dragon if he ate one. Feeding might be a problem, because the crickets would be able to escape. Other than that, it should be fine. It will smell every time he messes though. Also, make sure he can't fit through the cracks in the cage so he doesn't fall out.

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, I live in Southern CA. I originally had my 2yr old Beardie in a glass terrium. However I started fostering a few wetter species (white tree frogs, fat tail gecko, crested geck) and I noticed the humidity in my room was going up, normally her tank was 60ish(with no water bowl left inside). I got worried for my beardie so I switched her to a wire cage. I don't have an AC so its only the SoCal heat & upped her 75watt basking bulb to 100watt. the basking spot looks good, whenever I hit it with a heat gun the basking spot is 100-105F & the humidity in her enclosure seems to rest at 40

She seems to be doing great & i don't see any signs of sickness, stress, lethargy etc
When the humidity was higher she didnt seam to be herself.
She's been in the wire cage for 5 almost 6 months & is back to her old self.

I recently had a fellow bearded dragon owner strongly recommended for me to go back to the glass enclosure but I personally think she's doing better in her current set up.

I only want what's best for my Beardie, I'm willing to spend the money to get the other cage however I'm extremely worried about URI with the high humidity.
She's 2yrs old 18" & the cage dimensions are 40"L×17.5"W×21"H
Hello, I agree with everything that the bearded dragon dude said. Also I would like to mention that bearded dragons need UVB so I would highly suggest getting a T5 reptisun UVB tube light.

pupppy15

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your bearded dragon should be fine in a wire cage. However, make sure you're not in an area that has a lot of lightning bugs, as those would kill your dragon if he ate one. Feeding might be a problem, because the crickets would be able to escape. Other than that, it should be fine. It will smell every time he messes though. Also, make sure he can't fit through the cracks in the cage so he doesn't fall out.
I dont like crickets, I feed hornworms, super worms, dubia and occasionally wax/silk worms. Crickets die before I can gut load them properly & I have a separate tank i feed her in since I have a loose substrate.
I've never seen a lightening bug in my area, we have a screen over the window so we don't normally have outdoor insects make there way inside. She's on a alfalfa pellet substrate so the smell is normally taken care of & easily cleaned, or she goes in her bath.
I did a crazy amount of research before I got her & I wanted to make sure I'm not hurting her in any way. When ppl ask to see pics of my beardie they comment on how its pretty bad that she's in a wire cage, but I've checked everything multiple times & I dont understand how its bad, i know its odd but not bad.

pupppy15

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I agree with everything that the bearded dragon dude said. Also I would like to mention that bearded dragons need UVB so I would highly suggest getting a T5 reptisun UVB tube light.
Its probably hard to see in the pic but I have the dual fixture that comes in the zoo med starter kit but i hate the compact reptisun I have on her rn. It was her old fixture when she was a baby, the petstores in my area were out of the long reptisun uvb or the long zilla uvb. I tried ordering one off amazon but it came to me broken. so I had to get her the compact for now, im keeping an eye out for the other one tho, if i see 1 in my area I definitely plan on switching her back.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I dont like crickets, I feed hornworms, super worms, dubia and occasionally wax/silk worms. Crickets die before I can gut load them properly & I have a separate tank i feed her in since I have a loose substrate.
I've never seen a lightening bug in my area, we have a screen over the window so we don't normally have outdoor insects make there way inside. She's on a alfalfa pellet substrate so the smell is normally taken care of & easily cleaned, or she goes in her bath.
I did a crazy amount of research before I got her & I wanted to make sure I'm not hurting her in any way. When ppl ask to see pics of my beardie they comment on how its pretty bad that she's in a wire cage, but I've checked everything multiple times & I dont understand how its bad, i know its odd but not bad.
It's not bad, it's just different, like you said. I wouldn't put my bearded dragon in a wire cage, but that's just personal preference (Mainly because it would not fit the theme of my house). But, to be sure, I would look up if lightning bugs are prevalent in your area. Just one getting into your house could be really bad. Hope this helps!