• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my beardie getting too much uvb

QueenNelly

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a coiled bulb in a dome lamp on top of the mesh and then I have a 18” 10.0 tube light and he is ALWAYS on his log 2 or 3 inches away from the tube light! My question is, since he’s there almost every time I look at him during the day, is he not getting enough and that’s why he sits there all day or could this be too much for him? I’m not sure how old but I would say 4-5 months based on other beardies I’ve seen that were that age. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a coiled bulb in a dome lamp on top of the mesh and then I have a 18” 10.0 tube light and he is ALWAYS on his log 2 or 3 inches away from the tube light! My question is, since he’s there almost every time I look at him during the day, is he not getting enough and that’s why he sits there all day or could this be too much for him? I’m not sure how old but I would say 4-5 months based on other beardies I’ve seen that were that age. Thanks for the help!
Please get rid of the coil--- they are inadequate- you need a 24" fixture w/ a reflector--for a 40+ gallon tank w/ a Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5-

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Now way could a coil provide too much. If you can't get a ReptiSun, Arcadia is a good substitute. It's sad that coils are advertised as being sufficient UVB lights, when in reality they let out very little UVB and don't light up the enclosure, not to mention they can damage your beardie's eyes.
Right now Petco is having a sale on UVB lights and fixtures, including Reptisuns! They're like 6 or 7 dollars cheaper right now, just make sure to pick up the tube and not the coil or bulb. :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please get rid of the coil--- they are inadequate- you need a 24" fixture w/ a reflector--for a 40+ gallon tank w/ a Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5-
pangeareptiles has free shipping till Oct 5th