• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it okay for my bearded dragon to sleep with me?

Hannahlovesbud

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone, my bearded dragon named Buddy has been sleeping in a hand made bed next to mine for a few weeks. I was just wondering if this was fine? We keep the temperature in the room right for her. However I just wanted to know if there was any health risks or anything? I just want to make sure it's safe for her. I've attached a picture of the bed.

Attachments

• IMG_20170426_145412_328.JPG
    IMG_20170426_145412_328.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 4,165

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum... I would highly suggest that you did not sleep with Buddy out of her enclosure.. It just isn't safe for her.. She could get into trouble. Also a few us have a friend that had them out and fell asleep and rolled onto her and didn't know it and by the time they realized it...it was too late... We love them very much and as much as we would love to have them with us all the time it really is in their best interest to let them sleep in a nice comfy "bed" inside their enclosures..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
No it's not safe to sleep with them. Like Hdrydr31 said, we have a friend that just took a nap, a NAP, short period of time of sleep, and she rolled over on her dragon and didn't realize it. When she woke up it was too late. This is someone that had become very careful with what she did with her dragons and watched over them very closely, she is still devastated.

Dragons can and will sleep anywhere if you let them be. If you want them to be comfy, you can get them a soft fleece blanket that they can sleep with. I know someone on FB (the girl that lost her dragon) that makes very soft fleece dragon blankets.

Kuhli

Bearded Dragon Egg
Manny used to sleep next to pillow all the time because I would have him out on my bed when I would be on my phone or something and then fall asleep. One day I woke up with a turd almost touchin my face. Another day I woke up with two GIGANTIC turds at the foot of my bed. Manny has his own very comfy cardboard box now in his enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doki_doki_dragon

Hatchling Dragon
My bearded dragons refuses to sleep in his tank. And if I give him no choice, he is very grumpy in the morning.
Everyone is worried about me laying on him. I never have, and he sleeps with me almost every night.

He stays in the corner of my bed and hides under a stuffed animal.
I'm not a crazy sleeper either. I've fallen asleep with him on my should or neck and when I woke up, if I moved around or anything, he would just be on my back or beside me on my bed.

He always moves out of the way before he falls asleep.
If your beardies really like their little beds, let them have it. If they are cold and have a little place to curl up, they will sleep there.

I wouldn't be too worried about them getting up and getting lost at night. When mine is asleep, he sleeps through the whole night until the sun wakes him up.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I do this with my beardies, they all sleep in raised cat beds so its impossible for me to roll onto them or for them to get injured. I also have a heat pad covering about 1/2 the underside of their tanks, my room can get chilly at night in the winter so I find that it helps. They all sleep throughout the night and I always wake up before them, honestly I find that my babies sleep so much better in their beds than if I have to leave them in their tanks because I won't be back home in time to wake them up the next day.

Rexythebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
No it's not safe to sleep with them. Like Hdrydr31 said, we have a friend that just took a nap, a NAP, short period of time of sleep, and she rolled over on her dragon and didn't realize it. When she woke up it was too late. This is someone that had become very careful with what she did with her dragons and watched over them very closely, she is still devastated.

Dragons can and will sleep anywhere if you let them be. If you want them to be comfy, you can get them a soft fleece blanket that they can sleep with. I know someone on FB (the girl that lost her dragon) that makes very soft fleece dragon blankets.
I don't think its a great idea to sleep within like 3 feet of mine but I have a king sized bed and only sleep on half of it so I usually put him at the head of my bed16180090012322572080202720123763.jpg