• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is a halogen heat lightbulb safe?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I believe Walmart has, if my memory serves me right on the brand, Accu-Rite digital thermometers in the pet department, that are quite inexpensive. This type of thermometer listed on the packaging for fish or aquariums, is no different & works well. They can look something like this ...

Therm001.jpg

Cheap Indoor\Outdoor thermometers work quite well also, with the sensor attached to the basking spot & the Main unit with the readouts, Velcro pad mounted (To insulate it from taking the temp of the glass & removable) low on the cool side. Will constantly give both temps at a glance.

TEMPS011Text800x600.jpg

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
I wouldn't recommend a Halogen for most instances in a 12" tall enclosure. The wattage & type of bulb you will need varies from setup to setup, depending on usual ambient room temps, density of the screen & distance from the basking spot, to name a few determining factors, which are generally different in each home & setup. We all have to play with individual types & wattages, for our particular situation until we get it right, measured with proper, accurate thermometers.

Wide domes are not the best choices for fixtures & don't work very well in this application, for the exact reasons you have just mentioned, they do not allow the bulbs orientation in relation to each other to be very close to cover the same specific area.

When purchasing thermometers, be sure to get digital with sensors\probes that can be placed or attached at\to specific areas.

Okay, now I am a little confused. So...I have a tank that is about 12 inches high maybe a little less, and I also have the domes for the lights...so basically what it sounds like you're saying is a Halogen would not work for my type of tank?? And if not, is there another type of bulb I can get at Home Depot or anotber hardware store for cheaper than a pet store that will do the same thing?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It would work, but you would likely have to hang it 2-4" above the screen, if you have a raised basking spot at all. I would go with something like a 75w spot light that yes, you can generally get at a hardware outlet like Home Depot much cheaper than Pet stores.

Pandabeardeddragonmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Halogen flood bulbs are all I use for heat. But I have never used the pet store ones, just go to the local hardware store to get one, cheaper & every bit as good & likely last longer, I use Philips brand. You have to remember that a halogen bulb is a much hotter bulb per watt, brighter, whiter light & generally better penetration distance into the enclosure. So you won't need near as high a Wattage as with a normal spot type bulb, so they are also cheaper to run.
Hi, I, have a 50g wide large tank I needed a temp, light, toll, my, basking, light, came in, the mail I got a 75w one thinking this would be okay now I'm scared it is to high will this be safe for him? If we keep our air conditioning on I, don't want him getting to, hot or burning himself

TheLongfellows

Hatchling Dragon
I have a 4x2x2 pvc enclosure with fixtures inside the basking spot is about 14 inches from the basking site. I am using a 75 watt halogen arcadia flood with a temp control do you think that is too strong at that distance even for a herpstat running with it?

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Just wondering if a halogen heat lightbulb's safe to use as a basking bulb?

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...2-504675/zoo-med-repti-halogen-heat-lamp.html
It is but it gets very very hot. Just buy a zoomed CLEAR basking bulb they are $12 and if it breaks or goes out exchange it at the local pet store; Easy. On the winter versus summer u mite need a bit lower wattage get a digital thermometer with a probe it’s $10 and the most accurate. Also remember a baby/juvenile temp should be
105-110; more like 105 & as they approach 10-11mnths/adults over a year old it’s more like 95-100; more like 97. Also the UVb needs replacing every 6Mnths manadatory. The best & most recommend is the Reptisun 10.0 T5; it’s a long tubular bulb the length I order should cover 70 percent of the tank.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi, I, have a 50g wide large tank I needed a temp, light, toll, my, basking, light, came in, the mail I got a 75w one thinking this would be okay now I'm scared it is to high will this be safe for him? If we keep our air conditioning on I, don't want him getting to, hot or burning himself
Make sure the AC vent is not blaring on or above his cage. The best heat lamp is a clear zoomed basking bulb; it’s $12. Make sure u never ever use a coiled or colored bulb; it’s horrible for their eyes. Heat lamp should be 8-12 inches away from him. But u need a UvB long light minimum 10inches away not any closer; the best & most recommended one is: the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for uvb or he will die/get brittle bones shakes etc. This uvb needs replacing every 6Mnths religiously. At nite No lights they like pure dark & quiet. Long uvb light in the back of tank and basking in the front and a hammock behind that. While basking he gets the uvb and u need a hideaway or place a soft towel over the hammock and a fleece blanket underneath so that’s his hideaway & he can get away from the uvb as needed or react & they love soft comfy fleece to sleep on.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Make sure the AC vent is not blaring on or above his cage. The best heat lamp is a clear zoomed basking bulb; it’s $12. Make sure u never ever use a coiled or colored bulb; it’s horrible for their eyes. Heat lamp should be 8-12 inches away from him. But u need a UvB long light minimum 10inches away not any closer; the best & most recommended one is: the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for uvb or he will die/get brittle bones shakes etc. This uvb needs replacing every 6Mnths religiously. At nite No lights they like pure dark & quiet. Long uvb light in the back of tank and basking in the front and a hammock behind that. While basking he gets the uvb and u need a hideaway or place a soft towel over the hammock and a fleece blanket underneath so that’s his hideaway & he can get away from the uvb as needed or react & they love soft comfy fleece to sleep on.
Dude that post is over a year old now lol. And this thread is 9 years old lol

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
TY Germ. My Ceramic Heat Emitter decided to be a defective product after two weeks of use. Then the emergency infrared bulb I had kept in a box also decided to stop working. :( And before that, both basking bulbs blew so I had been using regular household bulbs. They didn't work so I wound up taking Allie out for walks in the sun and basking in the sun for about 10 to 15 minutes. She enjoyed herself while I sweated in a sauna. :) Things we do for our beardies. :)
Hi NoEllia; pleaee remove the InfraRed bulb Asaap; u can never ever used coooed or colored bulbs for a Beardie ever; it burns their eyes. Secondly; go buy another ceramic heat emitter and plce the old broken one in the box and get your money back. Heat emitters are used at night in the winter if temp falls below 70 for an adult dragon and if temp falls below 84 for a 1-8mtnh old dragon. In the summer it’s so hot don’t reallly need it at night. Buy a zoomed Reptisun heat lamp those are the nest and for Uvb the Reptisun 10.0 T5 long tubular bulb. Having trouble getting the rigth temps order a higher or lower basking platform & only use a digital thermometer & digital hygrometer those are the only accurate ones