• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Incubator question

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My female laid her first fertile clutch two days ago. I made an incubator, but I'm thinking my choice of placement may not be the best. It's in the garage, and the temp drops a little bit over night (to about 84°F). If the eggs hatch at the average time, it will be mid September. Over night lows in my area are usually in the low 50s by then, and I think it's possible I might not be able to keep the incubator at 85°.

Now that I've explained, I will pose my question. Would it be safe to move the incubator to another room, while the eggs are in said incubator?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It should be safe to move the incubator as needed. Just make sure you maintain those temps!

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I've received somewhat conflicting information on proper incubation temps. Everything from "it must be a consistent 88°F, to "room temperature is okay", to "82°-92° is acceptable, but 85° is optimal". These can't all be correct, can they?

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
My eggs have been incubating from 84-88 degrees and seem to be doing well. The lower end on the temp supposedly produces more females but extends incubation period. Just thought I'd throw my 2cents in :)

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay. Next questions... I'm using organic soil and natural play sand for substrate. Today I noticed something fuzzy that looks like mold. Is this normal? Also, I've seen pictures of other eggs, and I'm worried I may not have provided enough space. Will this be enough for those 25 eggs?

uploadfromtaptalk1405558569245.jpg

EDIT: If there isn't enough room, is there a safe way to move some of the eggs into another container?

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
I spaced mine about an inch apart I used vermiculite for my substrate its what you would use to start tullip bulbs etc. They sell it all I've I picked mine up at an ace hardware for 5 bucks. I would use that versus play sand it holds moisture much better. Also make sure your lid has holes in the top for moisture. I used an ink pen and drew a line in the top middle of the egg so you know the position, incase you have to move them. I would change the substrate and break them up into deli cups you could stack them just put holes on side of cup for moisture and air circulation hope this helps!

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't know if you can tell, but those are about an inch or so apart now. That tub is something like 7" x 9". I have the lid turned upside down on top of the container, inside the incubator. It's my understanding that organic soil is very close to vermiculite. I added the sand to keep it all together. Just to be safe, I'll go get some vermiculite and another container

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
Lol well mine are at 40 days also. So they have been expanding. By the way mold is sometimes caused from water dropping from the lid on too the eggs just gently wipe it off with a paper towel. Doesn't mean the egg is bad. I don't see why you can't use soil or sand. I just know the eggs absorb the water in the substrate so whatever is in it they could potentially absorb. But they do it in nature so why not just use a syringe to inject the substrate every few days to keep substrate damp. Also I added a baby burp cloth to the bottom of my incubator it brought my humidity up from like 50 to 85% , just a tip incase your humidity is not hugh enough

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm not sure about the hydrometer (or whatever it's called) I'm using. It reads about 70%, but there's a lot of condensation on the glass. The mold isn't on the eggs, it's on the substrate. It's very fine, like cobwebs almost. The substrate is pretty dry, so I'll try your syringe technique tomorrow. The burp cloth sounds like a great idea too. Mine are only at five days, I just want to do this as close to right as possible.

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
No problem at all! I'd probably change them to vermiculite its very clean I haven't had any issues with mold what so ever, because you don't want bacteria to kill your eggs and what not. If you lived here I'd give you a bag I bought 2 and only use about half a bag lol

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
From all I've been learning. Use vermiculite as substrate is the best.... You want it damp where you are able to squeeze it and no water comes out but it stays a clump that can be broken up.... Have it 2inches thick and eggs an inch apart..... I've been told no holes etc in the containers and just check them once a week.... Opening the lid is sufficient enough for air circulation and getting fresh air into the Container....

Swistable

Hatchling Dragon
I cannot buy vermiculite in my area and I think that my coconut husk the pet store said was good is causing way too much humidity what else could I use?

Swistable

Hatchling Dragon
I have water in the bottom and a water heater I have water that builds on the side of my big container so maybe organic would work for me I don't know