• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm needing to find a good reptile light ballast.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I've got a 150w bulb for my bearded dragon, and they've been working for awhile.
Lately, the bulbs were exploding when I put them in the ballast.
I recently heard you should replace the ballasts every 6 months, due to the fact the voltage going through the wires fries the wires.
So, I only use 150w bulbs, so I need a ballast that can hold up to 150w.
I have UVB and all that, and I have for years, so yeah, I'm just looking for a ballast that is reliable, and won't blow up my bulbs. Because man, those bulbs are expensive.
I've had a beardie for 4 years now, and I've never had this problem.
Thanks in advance!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've got a 150w bulb for my bearded dragon, and they've been working for awhile.
Lately, the bulbs were exploding when I put them in the ballast.
I recently heard you should replace the ballasts every 6 months, due to the fact the voltage going through the wires fries the wires.
So, I only use 150w bulbs, so I need a ballast that can hold up to 150w.
I have UVB and all that, and I have for years, so yeah, I'm just looking for a ballast that is reliable, and won't blow up my bulbs. Because man, those bulbs are expensive.
I've had a beardie for 4 years now, and I've never had this problem.
Thanks in advance!
What brand are you using? I use a 150 watt bulb and yes they burn out which is normal - I am using a Exo Terra intense basking bulb

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
What brand are you using? I use a 150 watt bulb and yes they burn out which is normal - I am using a Exo Terra intense basking bulb
That's the exact bulb I use.
The problem is not with the bulb though.
The problem is with the bulb ballast. The thing that holds the bulb.
And yes, I know they burn out, usually mine last for awhile, but the ballast is blowing the bulbs up.
Which is why I'm trying to find a new one that hopefully won't blow up any more bulbs.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's the exact bulb I use.
The problem is not with the bulb though.
The problem is with the bulb ballast. The thing that holds the bulb.
And yes, I know they burn out, usually mine last for awhile, but the ballast is blowing the bulbs up.
Which is why I'm trying to find a new one that hopefully won't blow up any more bulbs.
Are you using a dome? They will wear out and will need to be replaced -- how old is the dome? If its not very old take it back where you bought it and see if they will replace it - it sounds like its defective --and your dome is a ceramic socket w/ requirement of the 150 correct?

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes, the dome/ballast was out of date, I'm just trying to find a new ballast that won't blow up my bulbs.
Yes, it was a ceramic socket.
I agree that the dome/ballast needs to be replaced, I'm not using it anymore, I'm just trying to find a ballast that won't blow up my bulbs.
Thanks for the reply!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, the dome/ballast was out of date, I'm just trying to find a new ballast that won't blow up my bulbs.
Yes, it was a ceramic socket.
I agree that the dome/ballast needs to be replaced, I'm not using it anymore, I'm just trying to find a ballast that won't blow up my bulbs.
Thanks for the reply!
I am sorry I cant help you w/ that :( Not sure what to tell you except replace w/ another dome -

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club