• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm a big boy now!

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey all,

Been while since I’ve been on. Sorry about that. Busy, busy. Dexter has gotten so big and changed so much since last you saw him. He's still adorable, but doesn't look anything like his baby pictures.

A few weeks ago, poor Dex had to have a vet visit. After 3 days of refusing to eat, getting skinnier and skinner, I took him in. Poor guy had parasites. Guess he got them from the crickets. Seems even the store bought ones can give a beardy the bugs. Anyway, gave him his medicine and wham! didn’t take the lil’ guy long to perk back up. He’s eating me outta house and home again. Sheesh. Lol Quite the fat little fella now. Seems every time I go to his tank just to see how’s he’s doing he wants food. He looks up and his little mouth opens a little and he starts eyeballing all around him to see if any bugs mysteriously appeared. And I thought my teenagers were hard on the food consumption. They were nothing compared to Dex. lol

Another funny thing: remember how Dex refused to eat his veges? Had to feed him baby food veges from a syringe forever it seemed like. Don’t know what happened, but suddenly he’s just eating his veges. Seemed like from one day to the next. Started about a week ago. Even though he wasn’t eating them I’d still put small salads in his tank throughout the day. Still the same mixture of combos I’ve been rotating since I got him. Nothing new that would suddenly entice. One day last week I went to refresh his salad in the afternoon and it was gone. I mean just a few scraps left. I looked at him, he looked at me, and I was like “where did you stash it?” because I was positive he didn’t eat it. But I guess he did. Lol I put a fresh salad in his tank the next morning and came back about a half hour later to give him some crickets and most of the salad was gone. Not to mention he left me a greener poo to clean up as if to say, “see mom, I did eat it.”

So for all you parents out there that are discouraged about them not eating their veges . . . just wait for it. It will happen. If Dex, who is the most stubborn of all, will eat them there is hope.

Ta ta for now!

Attachments

• IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 37

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
This is lovely to hear... just wondering what veg are u giving him?
He gets a variety. I rotate a few of them each day. Dandelion greens, collard greens, bok choy, swiss chard, parsley, basil, and a tiny bit of kale each week. Vet recommended I give him the greener veges while he's young. I was including sweet peppers, carrots, and such at one time, but the vet said it's harder for them to digest when they are younger. Stick to the greens mostly, she told me. As they are better for them. Introduce the others when he's a little older, and include them as treat, so that's what I've been doing.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He gets a variety. I rotate a few of them each day. Dandelion greens, collard greens, bok choy, swiss chard, parsley, basil, and a tiny bit of kale each week. Vet recommended I give him the greener veges while he's young. I was including sweet peppers, carrots, and such at one time, but the vet said it's harder for them to digest when they are younger. Stick to the greens mostly, she told me. As they are better for them. Introduce the others when he's a little older, and include them as treat, so that's what I've been doing.
On a side note, vet recommended I don't give him much kale because it contains phosphorus which is harmful to beardy's if a lot is consumed. Thought I'd mention. :)

Knight98

Juvenile Dragon
Guess your American? Here in uk I struggle to get dandelion greens, collard greens, bok choy&Swiss chard. So I have to make do with kale, carrots, squash and red pepper

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yikes, sorry to hear you have trouble getting them. :/ I'm glad that our local super market carries a good selection, thank goodness! I can get huge bundles for like $3.00 each. They start to go bad and I have to toss them before he eats them all. 'Course that may change when he gets older and is eating more of the 80% veges, 20% protein.

Knight98

Juvenile Dragon
Guess your American? Here in uk I struggle to get dandelion greens, collard greens, bok choy&Swiss chard. So I have to make do with kale, carrots, squash and red pepper
To be honest I haven’t had any problems with
Yikes, sorry to hear you have trouble getting them. :/ I'm glad that our local super market carries a good selection, thank goodness! I can get huge bundles for like $3.00 each. They start to go bad and I have to toss them before he eats them all. 'Course that may change when he gets older and is eating more of the 80% veges, 20% protein.
yeah I make enough for the week but like you say it goes funny and I end up throwing it away. I’m gonna make it a mission to find some dandelion greens, collard greens, bok choy&Swiss chard
I’ll let u know :)

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran

yeah I make enough for the week but like you say it goes funny and I end up throwing it away. I’m gonna make it a mission to find some dandelion greens, collard greens, bok choy&Swiss chard
Yeah it does, unfortunately. I wish you luck and got my fingers crossed for you! My guy's favorites are the dandelion greens and parsley for some reason. He tends to leave most of the collard in his dish. Picky lil beardie he is. hahaha

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
Hey all,

Been while since I’ve been on. Sorry about that. Busy, busy. Dexter has gotten so big and changed so much since last you saw him. He's still adorable, but doesn't look anything like his baby pictures.

A few weeks ago, poor Dex had to have a vet visit. After 3 days of refusing to eat, getting skinnier and skinner, I took him in. Poor guy had parasites. Guess he got them from the crickets. Seems even the store bought ones can give a beardy the bugs. Anyway, gave him his medicine and wham! didn’t take the lil’ guy long to perk back up. He’s eating me outta house and home again. Sheesh. Lol Quite the fat little fella now. Seems every time I go to his tank just to see how’s he’s doing he wants food. He looks up and his little mouth opens a little and he starts eyeballing all around him to see if any bugs mysteriously appeared. And I thought my teenagers were hard on the food consumption. They were nothing compared to Dex. lol

Another funny thing: remember how Dex refused to eat his veges? Had to feed him baby food veges from a syringe forever it seemed like. Don’t know what happened, but suddenly he’s just eating his veges. Seemed like from one day to the next. Started about a week ago. Even though he wasn’t eating them I’d still put small salads in his tank throughout the day. Still the same mixture of combos I’ve been rotating since I got him. Nothing new that would suddenly entice. One day last week I went to refresh his salad in the afternoon and it was gone. I mean just a few scraps left. I looked at him, he looked at me, and I was like “where did you stash it?” because I was positive he didn’t eat it. But I guess he did. Lol I put a fresh salad in his tank the next morning and came back about a half hour later to give him some crickets and most of the salad was gone. Not to mention he left me a greener poo to clean up as if to say, “see mom, I did eat it.”

So for all you parents out there that are discouraged about them not eating their veges . . . just wait for it. It will happen. If Dex, who is the most stubborn of all, will eat them there is hope.

Ta ta for now!
I love his markings. He’s beautiful

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member

Depending on your climate, you might be able to grow your own greens. They'll be healthier, taste better, and it means less trips to the produce aisle. I grow lettuce for my pigs in the warmer months and only have to buy it when the plants die. Mustard greens grow very quickly and can be kept indoors, so you can have a year-round supply of them. The same goes for Swiss chard and collard greens. You can also plant bell pepper in your house in the winter months and outside when it is warm enough for them to survive.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I found a photo of Dex when I first got him so thought I’d take another today. He’s gotten so big. Lol I guess because I see him every day I don’t realize just how much he’s grown. After his last shed he got some beautiful orange coloring.

Attachments

• 7D12F675-D4F7-4712-9EB5-BA280DD29D61.jpeg
    7D12F675-D4F7-4712-9EB5-BA280DD29D61.jpeg
    657.3 KB · Views: 19
  • CC98FF24-9759-40E1-AE16-D4C5D462E2D0.jpeg
    CC98FF24-9759-40E1-AE16-D4C5D462E2D0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
He is so pretty! He sure has gotten big. I did the same with Sammy. Up until last week, I was like, gah she doesn’t grow like everyone’s I’ve seen. Then I came across pics of the last 3 months of her sitting on my sons chest. And boy, she had definitely grown! Like you say, I guess we don’t realize since we see them all the time. Very beautiful dragon!

Attachments

• 60CD1A34-510D-4EAC-B635-F16526E68429.jpeg
    60CD1A34-510D-4EAC-B635-F16526E68429.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 13
  • D03EBF35-3F6A-48DB-B258-D2A07BD94D3E.jpeg
    D03EBF35-3F6A-48DB-B258-D2A07BD94D3E.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 921B1472-8764-41F3-8F91-469AEB359385.jpeg
    921B1472-8764-41F3-8F91-469AEB359385.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 12

RastaMaDukes

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I found a photo of Dex when I first got him so thought I’d take another today. He’s gotten so big. Lol I guess because I see him every day I don’t realize just how much he’s grown. After his last shed he got some beautiful orange coloring.
WOW, he is very nicely marked. You wont believe how fast they really do grow.. We're starting our 4th shed since July 23rd. we no sooner get the skin all off n hir little legs turn white again. Hir sheds legs n tail first, then hir head n body..

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He is so pretty! He sure has gotten big. I did the same with Sammy. Up until last week, I was like, gah she doesn’t grow like everyone’s I’ve seen. Then I came across pics of the last 3 months of her sitting on my sons chest. And boy, she had definitely grown! Like you say, I guess we don’t realize since we see them all the time. Very beautiful dragon!
Awww love the pics of Sammy. IKR! I noticed he was getting bigger, but didn't realize how much until I found the first picture and then I was like, wow! Isn't it interesting how much they change in looks, too. I'm glad Dex has kept his little half moon over his eye through his various sheds and color changes, though. lol Love Sammy's coloring . . . she's a beauty, too! :)

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
WOW, he is very nicely marked. You wont believe how fast they really do grow.. We're starting our 4th shed since July 23rd. we no sooner get the skin all off n hir little legs turn white again. Hir sheds legs n tail first, then hir head n body..
Aww thanx. Love the pic of your baby in her harness. Pretty coloring. IKR! Dex starts with his tail, as well. It's the first to start shedding and the last to get done. I've lost count of how many times he's shed. Seems like they run together.

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
Awww love the pics of Sammy. IKR! I noticed he was getting bigger, but didn't realize how much until I found the first picture and then I was like, wow! Isn't it interesting how much they change in looks, too. I'm glad Dex has kept his little half moon over his eye through his various sheds and color changes, though. lol Love Sammy's coloring . . . she's a beauty, too! :)
It is definitely interesting! They like to keep us always guessing! I really like the name you chose as well for him. It looks very fitting. I just love these little guys and gals. I’m new to the forum. I had previously seen lots of posts from you while browsing before you came active again. Just wanted to say I enjoy your pics and your stories and always give me a little laugh! You are so friendly with such a sunny attitude! :)

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It is definitely interesting! They like to keep us always guessing! I really like the name you chose as well for him. It looks very fitting. I just love these little guys and gals. I’m new to the forum. I had previously seen lots of posts from you while browsing before you came active again. Just wanted to say I enjoy your pics and your stories and always give me a little laugh! You are so friendly with such a sunny attitude! :)
Yeah they do. I'm so happy I discovered what great buddies they are. I'm a fan of the show . . . Dexter. lol Dex is devious too. He sometimes gives me that look — the devious one where you know he's up to something, but not sure what until it happens. He's scared me a few times, full scale jumping off my lap while sitting with me in my chair. So far, I've manage to catch him before he hits the floor. Now, I know when he looks at me while pretending not to . . . he’s prepping for the leap. Now, I give in and put him down as soon as I see it so he can explore. Apparently cuddle time is over. lol He likes exploring and pouts when I put him back into his tank.

Welcome to the forum! Most peeps here are very friendly, wise, and have great advice. They’ve helped me out so much getting Dex set up and happy.

Awww, that’s very kind of you to say, thank you! I luv sharing pics and stories of Dex. Lol He’s so entertaining and fun, I can’t help sharing. Hahaha I luv seeing how other babies grow and hearing about their antics. Be sure to share pics and experiences you and Sammy have together. Would luv to see and hear. :)