• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Humidity Up To 55

ARUTLOSJR11

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys. Blue has been with me for about 3 weeks and he seems happy as can be.

He's eating 40-45 crickets a day now and veggies on occasion.

He loves to bask underneath his basking lamp (105 degrees).

I've noticed that 1. he opens his mouth often and 2. that the humidity has risen from 45 to 55. I do wet his veggies but DO NOT mist his enclosure.

I do wash his hammock daily (he poos on it) and shake it dry before putting it back.

I read that they do this to regulate body heat, but it can also mean a respiratory infection. If the humidity had not risen, I wouldn't even mention it.

I noticed today that I had him out for several minutes and when I put him back on his hammock he did the open mouth thing not long after. Hard to believe he was expending heat when he didn't seem that hot.

He's eating well, super active and I hear no gurgling coming from him.

Thoughts?

PS. How do I get my humidity down?

Paarthurnax

Hatchling Dragon
Here in the south Humidity is part of life. I don't think I have seen below 60% yet. We don't have any water in the enclosure. Doesn't seem to be much of an issue for us. We water him while he is out being handled.

Maybe two Hammocks getting the washed one all dry before going back in.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Signs of RI would be lot's of saliva in his mouth and coughing (it really sounds like a cough). Is the humidity steady at that % or is it only at a certain time of the day. For example, it's normal for it to rise at night and then when the lights warm up it lowers. I've heard of some people putting a sock full of rice in the tank to help lower the humidity. Just make sure none of the rice can come get out of the sock.

Thermoregulating helps them regulate their body temp which also helps them digest their food. He's eating a lot so he's going to open his mouth like that a lot.

Duane Howell

Hatchling Dragon
Signs of RI would be lot's of saliva in his mouth and coughing (it really sounds like a cough). Is the humidity steady at that % or is it only at a certain time of the day. For example, it's normal for it to rise at night and then when the lights warm up it lowers. I've heard of some people putting a sock full of rice in the tank to help lower the humidity. Just make sure none of the rice can come get out of the sock.

Thermoregulating helps them regulate their body temp which also helps them digest their food. He's eating a lot so he's going to open his mouth like that a lot.
Nice to hear that trick with the sock...... Ive been worried about the humidity in my beardies tank. I live about 50 metres from the beach and the humidity goes up to 70%. But then I think he has been living in it for 8 years already and hasn't shown any problems like RI or anything else.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
maybe a fan around his enclosure to move air?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just having air moving around in the room the viv is in should help, I know when I was keeping crickets the humidity was high but with the fan going it helped