• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Humidity levels will not go down!!!

Environmentalist_43

Bearded Dragon Egg
For the past 2 weeks my 6 month old bearded dragons glass enclosure has been staying at a humidity level of 56% and topping 70% this morning! I have a mesh top, I put a tiny suction cup de-humidifier on one of the walls of the enclosure and I run a de-humidifier in the room he stays in. I'm all out of options and feeling extremely frustrated. What can I do?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For the past 2 weeks my 6 month old bearded dragons glass enclosure has been staying at a humidity level of 56% and topping 70% this morning! I have a mesh top, I put a tiny suction cup de-humidifier on one of the walls of the enclosure and I run a de-humidifier in the room he stays in. I'm all out of options and feeling extremely frustrated. What can I do?
Add a sock of rice to the enclosure -- if there are water bowls in the tank take them out I am assuming there isnt and get him into a drier room -- what kind of hygrometer are you using and how old is it? You may need to calibrate the hygrometer you can look up on how to do that on google - your hygrometer is in the back middle wall of your tank ?

Environmentalist_43

Bearded Dragon Egg
Add a sock of rice to the enclosure -- if there are water bowls in the tank take them out I am assuming there isnt and get him into a drier room -- what kind of hygrometer are you using and how old is it? You may need to calibrate the hygrometer you can look up on how to do that on google - your hygrometer is in the back middle wall of your tank ?
It's a temp gauge and hygrometer combined, any recommendations on good hygrometers? And it is located on the back wal in the middle. I'll try those suggestions out. Thank you so much, I appreciate your response.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's a temp gauge and hygrometer combined, any recommendations on good hygrometers? And it is located on the back wal in the middle. I'll try those suggestions out. Thank you so much, I appreciate your response.
I had dial ones at first and went to a digital I really dont know of any one good kind -- how old is the one you have ? I got mine from www.dubiaroaches.com - it was like $30 - are you also using digital probe thermometers for actual basking temps or a Infrared heat gun?

Environmentalist_43

Bearded Dragon Egg
I had dial ones at first and went to a digital I really dont know of any one good kind -- how old is the one you have ? I got mine from www.dubiaroaches.com - it was like $30 - are you also using digital probe thermometers for actual basking temps or a Infrared heat gun?
I bought the hygrometer back in January so it's fairly new and I do have digital probe thermometers. I don't trust the thermometer built into thw hygrometer. Thank you for the link. I'll check out what they have.

BipedalApe

Bearded Dragon Egg
The humidity level in mine got up to 50% and my vet said 50-60% is actually a good level as long as no condensation is building up inside the enclosure.
the sock idea sounds good, let me know how that works out! I’ve had my AC on in my apartment and it’s dropped into the 40s%.

tortadon

Bearded Dragon Egg
What is the problem? I live low country South Carolina. Our humidity hangs at the 60 and 70 percent level and often in the 80 and 90 percent levels. Also A good way to get water in your beardy is by spraying the glass. In the wild it would be the morning due they would be drinking. You could use A larger holed screen allowing more ventilation. All the beardies I have owned over the last 30 years were good swimmers. They live in A dry climate but thrive in the richness of moist juicy plants.

BeardiesForever45

Hatchling Dragon
What is the problem? I live low country South Carolina. Our humidity hangs at the 60 and 70 percent level and often in the 80 and 90 percent levels. Also A good way to get water in your beardy is by spraying the glass. In the wild it would be the morning due they would be drinking. You could use A larger holed screen allowing more ventilation. All the beardies I have owned over the last 30 years were good swimmers. They live in A dry climate but thrive in the richness of moist juicy plants.
In my personal opinion, this is unhealthy for your BD. If you need to mist your dragon, please do so when he/she is not in the cage. High humidity levels can give them respiratory infections, which are expensive for you and uncomfortable for your beardie. Their climate can be humid at times, but not every morning or often. If you need to give your beardie a drink, drip drops of water on their noses. This is easy and does not risk the chances of getting the humidity too high. Thank you

SpikedLove

Bearded Dragon Egg
Humidity is always an issue depending on where you live. If the humidity is just what it is in your house you are limited on how much you can lower it. I am not as experienced with Beardies, but I raise Chameleons. When we encounter a situation where humidity is higher than we want and can't be lowered any more, air flow is the key. It is not just humidity that is bad, but stagnant air. For Chameleons we will run a small computer fan on top of the cage blowing out. This keeps a fresh cycle of air.

BeardiesForever45

Hatchling Dragon
Humidity is always an issue depending on where you live. If the humidity is just what it is in your house you are limited on how much you can lower it. I am not as experienced with Beardies, but I raise Chameleons. When we encounter a situation where humidity is higher than we want and can't be lowered any more, air flow is the key. It is not just humidity that is bad, but stagnant air. For Chameleons we will run a small computer fan on top of the cage blowing out. This keeps a fresh cycle of air.
Wow really? I hear chameleons are pretty hard to take care of!

SpikedLove

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wow really? I hear chameleons are pretty hard to take care of!

Nothing is really hard, as in "Not just anybody can do it" You just can't take short cuts. I see Beardies much like the Veiled chameleon, in that their curse is their hardiness. Either one can be kept under poor condition and still live to be 3 years old. They are prolific and as long as the "Pet Shop Care Sheet" says 3 to 5 years people are happy. It is not till we learn more that we realize that our 5 year old animal should have lived another 10 years.

Chams take more set up and daily care, but if you find good sources and establish your parameters they are very rewarding.

FYI pet shops and most care sheets give
Veiled female 3-5 years
Veiled male 5-7 years
Beardies 5-7 years

Real numbers verified by keepers.
Veiled female 5-7 years
Veiled male 10-14 years
Beardies 18+ years